Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Weighed my 2012 VLX the other day

Brett B

Went to the CAT scales and weighed my VLX on the trailer, it was right at 5900lbs. In addition to the stock features, here is what was in it:

Stereo pack 2

Factory 12” sub and amp

Harpoon amp

Factory 2-battery setup

35 gallons of gas

3 Johnson ballast pumps plus 3 extra fat sacs (empty of course)

Small box anchor

Small tool kit

No tower speakers (temporarily removed)

No wakeboards

No vests

No ropes

No coolers/drinks

No bimini

So full of gas/gear and ready for a day on the water this is easily over a 6000lb rig.

To calculate the dry weight of just the boat I subtract the following items from my 5900lb scale weight:

Standard Boatmate tandem trailer: 1200lbs

Harpoon amp: 25lbs

Second battery: 35lbs

Anchor: 20lbs

Tool kit: 20lbs

Sub + amp: 100lbs

Extra ballast parts: 40lbs

Fuel: 210lbs

That puts the dry weight of my boat right at 4250lbs. It looks like the factory published weight of 3700lbs is way off. :lol:

Edited by Brett B

I suspected that. My previous truck (1500 chevy with 5.3L) didn't pull my VLX as well as I thought. I always felt it was heavier than listed.

I would be willing to bet that the LSV is around 6500 lake ready.

I think that the dry weight does not include the tower. So there is another ?250? pounds. Plus the weight of the racks.

I also wonder if the trailer might be a couple hundy more. That still wouldn't get you there, but starts to get close.

I'd be surprised if the trailer was only 1200. Wheels and tires alone prob over 300. Lots of Steal in these double trailers.

A 14" aluminum wheel with a 205/75-14 tire does not weigh anywhere near 75lbs.

According to Boatmate their trailer weighs 1200lbs. Aaron also weighed his boatmate VLX trailer by itself and it was right at 1200lbs if I remember right.

I think that the dry weight does not include the tower. So there is another ?250? pounds. Plus the weight of the racks.

I've heard that before but that doesn't make much sense since the tower is standard equipment on the Wakesetters. That would be like listing the weight without all of the seats and interior installed. Does Mastercraft or Nautique list the weight of the XStar/SAN 210 without the tower?

I've had to lift the tower without the gas shocks and I think it weighs about 100-150lbs. Also if you look at the 2011 specs the Sunscape only weighs 100lbs less than the comparable wakesetter model. The Sunscape is just a Wakesetter with no tower and no onboard ballst, and Malibu is saying that is only a 100lb difference.

http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index.php?/page/specs.html/_/2011-r43

I see the MXZ 22 is now listed at 4400lbs. So there is a 700lb dry weight difference between the VLX and MXZ? Hmm...

Edited by Brett B

I see the MXZ 22 is now listed at 4400lbs. So there is a 700lb dry weight difference between the VLX and MXZ? Hmm...

I can easily believe that... the MXZ is both longer and also has a much wider bow. It also appears taller than the VLX. That all speaks to a bunch more fiberglass, which is the heaviest part of the boat.

I recently weighed my 2011 vlx and it also came in at about 5900 lb. I have similar equipment but was loaded with 4 speakers, wakeboards and other gear. The gas tank was about a quarter full. The trailer is an Eagle trailer with spare tire. It adds up fast.