Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

VTX wake vs VLX vs LSV

Dookey

Brand new member, this has been discussed numerous times, but I would love to get a fresh take on this. We live on Lake Conroe, outside of Houston. My 9 and 11 year old kids are getting into wakeboarding so we sold our Seadoo wake and RXT. Been researching boats and have decided we like Malibu the best. Really want to stay around $40-$50K. Have read all the discussions around hulls and proper ballast systems. Taking all that into consideration, is there a HUGE difference between the surfing wakes? Do not want to make a $50K mistake. My kids want to wakeboard and I would like to wake surf (5'10 215). There seems to be a good deal on a VTX, but I am not an impulse buyer.....been looking since July. I can wait for right model and deal. What model would you recommend? We have 4 in our family and will probably average 6-9 when out on the lake. Thanks for all of your help!

Brand new member, this has been discussed numerous times, but I would love to get a fresh take on this. We live on Lake Conroe, outside of Houston. My 9 and 11 year old kids are getting into wakeboarding so we sold our Seadoo wake and RXT. Been researching boats and have decided we like Malibu the best. Really want to stay around $40-$50K. Have read all the discussions around hulls and proper ballast systems. Taking all that into consideration, is there a HUGE difference between the surfing wakes? Do not want to make a $50K mistake. My kids want to wakeboard and I would like to wake surf (5'10 215). There seems to be a good deal on a VTX, but I am not an impulse buyer.....been looking since July. I can wait for right model and deal. What model would you recommend? We have 4 in our family and will probably average 6-9 when out on the lake. Thanks for all of your help!

Yup, there is big difference is surfing wakes. The longer, and heavier the boat, the better the wave. The best waves you see, come from the 24 footers.

9 people in a VTX is gonna be pretty tight. I would go with a 23 LSV. Lots of room, awesome surf wave, and really good wakeboard wake.

What kind of tow vehicle do you use? All in the 23 weighs around 6000lbs including trailer, fuel, and gear.

9 in tight in the VTX and VLX. Will be ok in the LSV. Keep in mind with the bigger boats you will need more ballast for surfing. We get a pretty stellar wave out of our VTX. The wakeboard wake is good ski wake is pretty sweet. The wakeboard wake is better on the VLX and LSV. Unless you are pro caliber you will be fine with the VTX. If you want to ski go for the VTX.

If it is a mixture of 9 with kids, that amount will be ok in a VLX. We usually have 8 adults in my VLX and we do fine. I personally think it boils down to how much crap you let people bring on your boat. By our going out for a day, not a weekend trip only on the boat, and people bring suitcases. Exaggerated a bit, but you know what I mean. Storage I think is the biggest contender when choosing a boat. Or if you you have a lot of people in your normal crew. We sometimes put 12, but that's more of a once or twice a year thing. Usually bachelor parties :)

LSV hands down (and this is coming for a VLX owner)

There are only three reasons not to get the LSV...

1) You want to slalom ski

2) You have storage restrictions (e.g. small garage)

3) You are going to try to tow with something less than 1/2 ton vehicle.

If none of these apply to you, get the LSV.

We have a Harely Davidson Ford Truck...no problem towing. Thanks again for all of your help! I found a 2008 LSV in San Antonio with 99 hours, but I did not want to go over the $50K limit I set for myself. That is why I asked about the VTX becuase there is one on craigslist with 125 hours (2009) and in the low 40's. Well, I guess I will keep looking. Thanks again for your help!!!

op, as has been referenced its also going to take a lot more weight to get the most out of a bigger boat too...just a thought if you're not keen on adding 2000#s and up to a bigger boat. The smaller the boat the better the "starting point" wake.

op, as has been referenced its also going to take a lot more weight to get the most out of a bigger boat too...just a thought if you're not keen on adding 2000#s and up to a bigger boat. The smaller the boat the better the "starting point" wake.

I love the room on the LSV! Came from a 2004 XSTAR and being crowded on your boat just isn't fun. I say be patient and find a great LSV, but as quoted...it doest take more weight! Goofy surfing with stock ballast is decent, but for me @ 5'11 185 factory ballast doesn't cut it. With the right weight (extra 1,000+ lbs) it's fantastic however. On the wake, it may just be me...however I have a issue with my LSV being too wide with factory ballast at 70ft. More weight makes it better or I have to pull it in 5ft or more depeding on people and conditions. I really didn't like having to do that, but I've settled in now on riding a bit shorter compared to the XSTAR.

Good luck in your search and if you find the right boat at a steal...you will be happy with whatever you choose and make it work for you.

Find a local VLX and a LSV and go sit in them if it was me I would think about the Kids if they are the type of kid that will real want to go all out when they get older at Wakeboarding VLX now if we are talking about just like to have fun and be good at Wakeboarding I say LSV. Don't get me wrong they are both great boats but the LSV has a better surf and the VLX has a better wakeboard wake. I love the VLX both the surf and wakeboard wake are both great to me. I say sit in the VLX if you like the amount of room go with it if you fill you need more room buy the LSV. I will add go 08 and up if you can budget it. I say this because of the catilac converters.

Edited by Bradley Thornton

For VLX, the current hull was introduced in model year 2009.

For LSV, the current hull was introduced in model year 2008.

For VTX it's been the same hull(s) available since the boat launched in 2007.

If you get a 2010 in any of the boats, you'll be richly rewarded with the G3 tower. Although, that will probably be impossible without breaking your $50k budget.

For VLX, the current hull was introduced in model year 2009.

For LSV, the current hull was introduced in model year 2008.

For VTX it's been the same hull(s) available since the boat launched in 2007.

If you get a 2010 in any of the boats, you'll be richly rewarded with the G3 tower. Although, that will probably be impossible without breaking your $50k budget.

My friend got a 2010 VTX with everything but bow ballast for $49k with 160 hours....

For that price range and since this is your first inboard boat, I would recommend you find a used vRide. vRide is 21'6" and is previous generation wakesetter hull. Will be enough room for now. If you really start to get into surfing or want more room, trade up for a LSV.

Thanks for everyone's help! Amazed as a new member how many people will take time to help. Have a lot of decisions to make, but sounds like I will pass on the VTX and wait for an LSV or possibly a VLX at a steal price to appear. I was wanting on 08 or newer. Thanks again!

I have had a Tige 24V before I bought a '06 VLX. To be honest with you I much rather perfer the space in the 24V hands down, no questions asked!! We miss the room for sure. Although we only had the opportunity to get the VLX out on the water just for a hand full of times, you just have to be careful on what you bring. Couple of back packs a cooler and a half dozen adults works well. You just have to learn to stow away the extras thats all. When we go to the end of the lake for the afternoon theres usually 3/4/5 boats that get tied up, so really no one gets left behind. The other thing that sits in the back of my mind is I bought the boat for myself, family and a few friends, not the entire beach!!

Im not sure if Tacostik sold his boat, but you should check out his 08 23 LSV. It has lots of options and upgrades. Extra ballast plumbed in, tower mirror, swivel racks, wetsounds tower speakers, evolution cover. Super nice boat, and its under 50k.

http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index.php?/topic/40282-2008-wakesetter-23-lsv-47500-price-drop/

Thanks for everyone's help! Amazed as a new member how many people will take time to help. Have a lot of decisions to make, but sounds like I will pass on the VTX and wait for an LSV or possibly a VLX at a steal price to appear. I was wanting on 08 or newer. Thanks again!

We have no problem spending your money ;)

• Like 1