Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New Exhaust Manifolds question

When I bought my boat, it had a hole in the exhaust riser, so the dealer ordered an entire new manifold (badly rusted) and riser for it. Because it got shrink wrapped before the manifolds came, I didn't have a chance till today to compare old to new.

What I see is that the distance from the side of the flange that bolts to the cylinder head to the inside of the manifold is 1/2 inch in closer on the new exhaust. What I am wondering is if this is still going to work, or if its too close and will hit the valve cover. Its going on a 1998 Monsoon, and the manifold part number is 18-1997 Sierra.

The picture below should show what I mean. The blue line is the distance on the manifolds that are on the boat now.

distancenewtooldSmall.jpg

Edited by zone 5
:) I guess great minds think alike, because thats where I went first too. :) The measurements that you have are what my stock manifolds have. I'm hoping that its only for the dipstick, because thats not the side that I'm replacing, so if its just dipstick related, then all will be well. I "assume" your pics are stock Indmar manifolds? Are you replacing them? or just putting new gaskets on? I have to believe that the exhaust fit all small blocks from that era, as nothing was changed valve cover or head angle, but never say never with a b.o.a.t.

:) I guess great minds think alike, because thats where I went first too. :) The measurements that you have are what my stock manifolds have. I'm hoping that its only for the dipstick, because thats not the side that I'm replacing, so if its just dipstick related, then all will be well. I "assume" your pics are stock Indmar manifolds? Are you replacing them? or just putting new gaskets on? I have to believe that the exhaust fit all small blocks from that era, as nothing was changed valve cover or head angle, but never say never with a b.o.a.t.

My photos are from the original manifolds off my 99 Monsoon II. I ordered a new set from Bakes with the Black Friday Sale, 15% off and free shipping. Plus they were less on the manifold than Skidim. I think the old ones still have some life left in them, at least the one that is not stuck on the engine. A friend of mine took his off his supra and had them cleaned, he called it Magnafluxed? and they looked new again. If your new one does not fit, let me know if you are interested in my spare manifold, I can let it go cheap.

I was able to get to the exhaust today, and put the new manifold on. As I think the pictures show, they tighten up, BUT they are hitting the valve cover. I couldn't get a .010 feeler gauge in between the manifold and valve cover. So I am wondering if this is correct/okay and you guys have seen it before, or that for some reason that these manifolds are incorrect.

Thanks!!

new1.jpg

new2.jpg

Something is wrong. I'd call Bakes and see what they say about that part number.

Shameless plug but, you might be interested in replacing your cooling elbows at this time.

Boz, magnafluxing something is way to check for cracks in steel. Maybe your buddy had them media blasted?

I was able to get to the exhaust today, and put the new manifold on. As I think the pictures show, they tighten up, BUT they are hitting the valve cover. I couldn't get a .010 feeler gauge in between the manifold and valve cover. So I am wondering if this is correct/okay and you guys have seen it before, or that for some reason that these manifolds are incorrect.

Thanks!!

new1.jpg

new2.jpg

Something is wrong. I'd call Bakes and see what they say about that part number.

Shameless plug but, you might be interested in replacing your cooling elbows at this time.

Boz, magnafluxing something is way to check for cracks in steel. Maybe your buddy had them media blasted?

Z5, Ouch, I would not want the exhaust manifold resting on the plastic valve cover. That's not going to work for long.

Pete> I am going to replace them and use the old ones for a home made box anchor or something. LOL.

Z5, Ouch, I would not want the exhaust manifold resting on the plastic valve cover. That's not going to work for long.

Yea, so it seems. I'm totally confused, as these are clearly SB manifolds, and so the "should" fit Nothing has changed that I'm aware of that should affect how the manifold clears the valve cover. In fact, Sierra is showing these at multiple locations as being for all SB's

These were part of the boat sale, so the dealer supplied them to me. So now I get to make them give me the correct ones. So far they have been great, but I guess with another $200 outlay, we will see.

Thanks for confirming what I thought, that they are way wrong.

Pete> I am going to replace them and use the old ones for a home made box anchor or something. LOL.

You can always go to chrome covers? ;-)

The guy I bought my bu from did, and never looked at them again in a salt air paradise. So tellingly ugly.

BUT, they look like a dream on my indmar 305. $45 from summit. I use "Corrosion-X," a product that the marine mechanics use here in Hawaii.

AND, the old black plastic 305 valve covers might be best for the sea-bu I'm bringing to life (albeit too slowly).

Got this email from the Parts manager at my dealer today. Class act to say the least!!! Note the highlighted parts.

I want to order a factory Indmar manifold & riser for you, my fault for trying to use the Sierra, thought they would be the same. I do not have your engine number documented anywhere, if you get a chance see if you can locate that number on your engine. There should be a sticker/tag somewhere; possibly on the side of the oil pan. There appears to be only one manifold/riser option from Indmar, but the engine number would verify without a doubt I am ordering the correct parts. Once parts have arrived I will send them to you with a pre-paid UPS label for returning the Sierra parts.

Got this email from the Parts manager at my dealer today. Class act to say the least!!! Note the highlighted parts.

I want to order a factory Indmar manifold & riser for you, my fault for trying to use the Sierra, thought they would be the same. I do not have your engine number documented anywhere, if you get a chance see if you can locate that number on your engine. There should be a sticker/tag somewhere; possibly on the side of the oil pan. There appears to be only one manifold/riser option from Indmar, but the engine number would verify without a doubt I am ordering the correct parts. Once parts have arrived I will send them to you with a pre-paid UPS label for returning the Sierra parts.

I think you should Name the Dealer, certainly a Class Act. Awesome.

I think you should Name the Dealer, certainly a Class Act. Awesome.

Can Do.

Its Echo Bay in Brookfield, CT

and they aren't even a Malibu Dealer, but a (can I say this here? :unsure: ). MC dealer. They took my Malibu on trade for a high end pontoon boat.

I've bought new boats before, and not had this kind of service.

Just because I am so impressed with this dealer, I wanted to say that he did everything he said. New Indmar manifolds/risers arrived today. Correct ones. Came with a prepaid UPS label, and wrong ones are going back on Echo Bays UPS acct tomorrow.

I have had more boats than I want to count, and including new ones that cost 5 times what this boat cost, I have NEVER had a dealer do this. I wish this dealer was not 3 hours from my house.

Can Do.

Its Echo Bay in Brookfield, CT

and they aren't even a Malibu Dealer, but a (can I say this here? :unsure: ). MC dealer. They took my Malibu on trade for a high end pontoon boat.

I've bought new boats before, and not had this kind of service.

heck yes you can say that here. good service should get props. period.