Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Is this the one for me?

Levi900RR

Lol, the blue/gray Bu in the background of the 8th photos looks like my boat exactly, except with a chrome tower.

The pics look pretty good. Looks like just a good detailing and it would really pop. What happened to the wedge?

It also looks like the prop has hit the trailer before. Look at the marks above the trailer lights in front of the prop in the second to last pic. I know this becuase my trailer has the same marks. Previous owner got the trailer too deep and hit the prop there. I have the receipt for the $4,000 repair from that mis-hap. Seeing that, I'd want to give the boat a water test or know somehow there is no vibration in the drivetrain.

Tough one. You said there are couple missing features? (perfect pass, ballast?)

As pointed out, the trailer looks a bit weird and personally, i prefer dual axle trailer. Unless you can get it under $20k, i would keep looking. Remember to factor in the cost for you to drive down.

I found an 02 wakesetter vlx for $25k earlier this season with similar hours.

Looks like the cupholder is missing next to the glovebox too. Mine always blows out when towing (I know store it under the seat). Cheap part to pick up again, but you may ask about it. What did they say mechanically about the boat? Did they do a compression test of the engine?

Levi the first set of pics you posted were from 3 years ago (09 registration on it) and they definately made it look better, but the darker photos make it hard to tell for sure. I see some minor stuff like the teak needs some TLC, carpet needs a cleaning. It appears to have wax on it and you can expect some stains to be on the white vinyl, but I don't see any cuts or seam issues. It looks to be in great shape. IMO, the hours are fine, hell, I have 270 on my '10 now. Make sure you take her out when you get down there. They are only a couple minutes from the ramp and push all of the buttons to make sure stuff works. Good luck.

Doesn't look too bad. I just hate seeing teak that looks that bad...it always makes me wonder if an owner allows the teak to get that bad if he was that lazy with the hull wax and engine oil too? Probably not, but if I had a boat for sale you can bet the teak would look good.

I dig the tower. The vinyl looks pretty good too. White gel is hard to get a feel for in pics, but gel it easy to get shining gin with a little TLC. I'd update or ditch the graphics and I think it would look pretty good.

Looks like the cupholder is missing next to the glovebox too. Mine always blows out when towing (I know store it under the seat). Cheap part to pick up again, but you may ask about it. What did they say mechanically about the boat? Did they do a compression test of the engine?

Easy fix to this is wrap the cup holder right below the base a few times with electrical tape, so that it has a tighter fit to the hole.

And dump the plastic cup holder for SS ones. Bakes sells them at a pretty good price for the factory ones - really classes up the boat over the cheap plastic ones.

It looks like it's only one good detail away from showroom condition. A few hours of elbow grease on the teak and it'll look brand new. The mark on the tailer mentioned above looks more like a reflection of light to me. Tough to say. I would definitely find out what happened to the wedge foil (and the cup holder while your at it).

Maybe you could have a Crew member test drive it for you before you made the long haul. I'm sure there are a few people that would be willing to do that for a six pack.

At the end of the day you just need to go with your gut. It's usually right :)

Edited by msuwaterski

I agree with others that with some detailing it could look good again. The original photos really had my attention, especially with the low hours and price. I don't blame you for being a bit hesitate after seeing the updated photos but it honestly doesn't look to bad. I'm guessing the owners just don't use the boat enough and are looking to get it off their hands. Like others said find out about the wedge, it's not cheap to replace. Also the Bimini isn't pictured in the photos, is it included and if so what shape is it in? Perfect pass will also cost you. You really just have to know if it feels right.

Lol, the blue/gray Bu in the background of the 8th photos looks like my boat exactly, except with a chrome tower.

The pics look pretty good. Looks like just a good detailing and it would really pop. What happened to the wedge?

It also looks like the prop has hit the trailer before. Look at the marks above the trailer lights in front of the prop in the second to last pic. I know this becuase my trailer has the same marks. Previous owner got the trailer too deep and hit the prop there. I have the receipt for the $4,000 repair from that mis-hap. Seeing that, I'd want to give the boat a water test or know somehow there is no vibration in the drivetrain.

He took the wedge off because he never used it. It does come with the boat. GOOD EYE on that mark on the trailer. He hit the trailer due to "low water" this year but had the prop resurfaced / ballenced. It also needed a drive shaft strut, the whole deal was an insurance claim through the dealership so I am assuming it was done right.

Tough one. You said there are couple missing features? (perfect pass, ballast?)

As pointed out, the trailer looks a bit weird and personally, i prefer dual axle trailer. Unless you can get it under $20k, i would keep looking. Remember to factor in the cost for you to drive down.

I found an 02 wakesetter vlx for $25k earlier this season with similar hours.

Yes, It doesn't have PP which is on my wish list. I already have the V drive sacs so the ballast will just need to be plumbed, but totally a consideration. The other thing I'm noticing is he only has one set of board racks, which I don't know if I even like so that is another consideration.

I could pay TNT to do a comp test on the engine, they have told me over the phone that the boat is in perfect mechanical condition.

Levi the first set of pics you posted were from 3 years ago (09 registration on it) and they definately made it look better, but the darker photos make it hard to tell for sure. I see some minor stuff like the teak needs some TLC, carpet needs a cleaning. It appears to have wax on it and you can expect some stains to be on the white vinyl, but I don't see any cuts or seam issues. It looks to be in great shape. IMO, the hours are fine, hell, I have 270 on my '10 now. Make sure you take her out when you get down there. They are only a couple minutes from the ramp and push all of the buttons to make sure stuff works. Good luck.

Good eye, it sure does look cleaner in the original pics.

Doesn't look too bad. I just hate seeing teak that looks that bad...it always makes me wonder if an owner allows the teak to get that bad if he was that lazy with the hull wax and engine oil too? Probably not, but if I had a boat for sale you can bet the teak would look good.

I dig the tower. The vinyl looks pretty good too. White gel is hard to get a feel for in pics, but gel it easy to get shining gin with a little TLC. I'd update or ditch the graphics and I think it would look pretty good.

I would be yanking those graphics before I left the dealership to bring it home :lol: The only reason I am letting that teak slide is because mine looks the same :cry: I really underestimated how bad the sun would hammer it out on the lift this year. I agree about the white gel, so hard to tell. I can say this, I DO NOT want another boat that needs to be wet sanded and buffed.

Easy fix to this is wrap the cup holder right below the base a few times with electrical tape, so that it has a tighter fit to the hole.

And dump the plastic cup holder for SS ones. Bakes sells them at a pretty good price for the factory ones - really classes up the boat over the cheap plastic ones.

Those SS cup holders are so sweet.

It looks like it's only one good detail away from showroom condition. A few hours of elbow grease on the teak and it'll look brand new. The mark on the tailer mentioned above looks more like a reflection of light to me. Tough to say. I would definitely find out what happened to the wedge foil (and the cup holder while your at it).

Maybe you could have a Crew member test drive it for you before you made the long haul. I'm sure there are a few people that would be willing to do that for a six pack.

At the end of the day you just need to go with your gut. It's usually right :)

I think the bottom line is I need to get a real objective eye on this thing before I commit to anything. I would even throw in a 12 pack for someone... :beer:

Was it used this year? Tags are expired.

The Dude told me he took it out for 4th of July this year and thats it... probably didnt register it. OR, like my father in law does every year. He registered it and then lost the stickers. :rofl:

OK so these pictures are more honest than the first ones but it still looks good to me. Yes the trailer looks weird but it's a Dorsey so don't worry about it unless it's been modified from origanal. I liked my single axel better than my current 2 axel tailer (both Dorsey). The teak will come back but you may want to start shopping for one with a trap door. in my opinion the +'s outway the -'s on this boat.

Could you get it cheaper in 2 months? - most likely. more likely it will be gone.

Even though they said 20.5k, you're still in negotiations. You can have them do some work on it like cleaning, polishing the outside, sticker removal (even though that's something I like to do it gets them out of the way for polishing), a deal on PP, install wedge door, etc.

Don't give up yet! If the money is set in stone, try and get them to throw some things in.

"I can't pay that amount for a boat that is that dirty. Can you at least clean it up, remove the decals, and polish the outside for me?"

"How about a deal on PP. I can install it, but can you save me some money on the parts?"

He took the wedge off because he never used it. It does come with the boat. GOOD EYE on that mark on the trailer. He hit the trailer due to "low water" this year but had the prop resurfaced / ballenced. It also needed a drive shaft strut, the whole deal was an insurance claim through the dealership so I am assuming it was done right.

Yes, It doesn't have PP which is on my wish list. I already have the V drive sacs so the ballast will just need to be plumbed, but totally a consideration. The other thing I'm noticing is he only has one set of board racks, which I don't know if I even like so that is another consideration.

I could pay TNT to do a comp test on the engine, they have told me over the phone that the boat is in perfect mechanical condition.

Good eye, it sure does look cleaner in the original pics.

I would be yanking those graphics before I left the dealership to bring it home :lol: The only reason I am letting that teak slide is because mine looks the same :cry: I really underestimated how bad the sun would hammer it out on the lift this year. I agree about the white gel, so hard to tell. I can say this, I DO NOT want another boat that needs to be wet sanded and buffed.

Those SS cup holders are so sweet.

I think the bottom line is I need to get a real objective eye on this thing before I commit to anything. I would even throw in a 12 pack for someone... :beer:

The Dude told me he took it out for 4th of July this year and thats it... probably didnt register it. OR, like my father in law does every year. He registered it and then lost the stickers. :rofl:

What am I missing here how do you hit the trailer because of low water ? Why would you remove the wedge just because you don't use it ? It's not in the way of anything.

Edited by LS-One

Windy, He has the trap door. The dealer gave it to him when they installed the wedge. He just never installed it.

He has a deck with a trap door or a trap door to install an that deck?

What am I missing here how do you hit the trailer because of low water ? Why would you remove the wedge just because you don't use it ? It's not in the way of anything.

I could see taking it off if you had a tight garage and never used it anyway.

How do you hit a trailer due to low water? Bunks don't move up or down with the water, I don't get that. And I can't imagine the wedge hitting the water enough to make a difference in anything, especially with the platform that has the boards tight together. I could see taking it off for storage (along with the deck), but that's not what the seller said.

I'm suspicious. It doesn't feel right. I am willing to bet that the wedge will be either brand new (replaced) or show evidence of being bent and straightened. If you pursue it I would definitely take it for a test drive, wedge installed and tested deployed and not deployed. I don't think this is one you can trust from a distance, needs a physical once over.

The dude said the wedge even in the up position still caught a little water.

He has the door and it needs to be installed on that platform

I could see that if I was a die hard slalom skier. But if that was the case I wouldn't have a VLX.

I was pretty jazzed for you early on but something isn't right here and I think some details are being left out. If I'm wrong all the better for you.

Edited by LS-One