Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2012 VLX integrated ballast install

Brett B

Just purchased a 05 VLX with 4 tank MLS.  This looks great.  What is the price of doing the rear tanks like this?  Price for front?  Wakemakers wants $629 for a rear piggyback, but I think the independent control is probably money well spent and much faster.

Thanks.

3 minutes ago, goodmatt78 said:

Just purchased a 05 VLX with 4 tank MLS.  This looks great.  What is the price of doing the rear tanks like this?  Price for front?  Wakemakers wants $629 for a rear piggyback, but I think the independent control is probably money well spent and much faster.

Thanks.

Are you going to install?  Lots of things you can do to make more expensive, but I would say you could do it for $1000? More if you plan to wakeboard

1. 2 pumps - $180 each(Id get the ballast kings thought for $300)

2. 2 Bags - $170 each(Fly High 750s)

3. 4 40' of 1" hose (1 1/8" if I was doing it), 15' of 3/4 - $100?

4. Various fittings (wyes, bag fittings thru hulls etc) $75

5. Electrical $150 (wires, switches, fuses, distro block)

~$1025 is my estimate, but Id plan on it costing a few hundred more to do it right.

12 minutes ago, goodmatt78 said:

Thanks.

And if you dont have a ghetto gate/suck gate, youre gonna want that. 

10 minutes ago, goodmatt78 said:

What do you mean..."more if you plan to wakeboard"?   Yes...I plan to surf and wakeboard.

Then youre going to need another 1000 lbs up front, another pump, switch and wires.  Plan on another $500 for that. 

On 2/6/2017 at 4:39 PM, 05hammerhead said:

Then youre going to need another 1000 lbs up front, another pump, switch and wires.  Plan on another $500 for that. 

I can barely go wake to wake....I think stock ballast is enough to hurt me  :-).

Brett or else....Any pics or suggestions on running the long line through the stringers?  This sounds by far the most difficult part.  Thanks.

front pump done. Starting on rear ones next week. I had a harder time getting the sub out of the way than I did stuffing the hose through the stringer. Once everything was out of the way the hose only took about 30 seconds.

small.JPG

Edited by windy1
6 hours ago, goodmatt78 said:

Ok...so for surfing only....do I need more bow weight than stock mls bow tank?   Conflicting responses here.  Thanks.

I ran an additional 400#'s on top of the bow seats last season with 750 in the rear surf side locker, this year I will be using the Wakemakers 910 in the rear locker so I may have to change out the 400 to a 600-650 on the bow seats.  With no additional bow weight, the wave will be tall, but the pocket will be right behind the platform.  With added bow weight the wave will not be as tall, but you will have a larger pocket further back from the platform.

3 hours ago, goodmatt78 said:

Ok that makes sense....What about equal wait in rear lockers and a suck gate?

I would think even more bow weight would be needed if you run 2 750's in the rear and wedge down, if not you will be standing to see over the bow.  Start out running the standard 60/40 rule: example - 1500 rear (2 750's) + 850 triangle = 2,350 x .6 = 1410 rounds to 1500 lol, or 2,350 x .4 = 940 or round down to 850 or the 1000# triangle sac.

On 2/12/2017 at 7:25 AM, goodmatt78 said:

Ok...so for surfing only....do I need more bow weight than stock mls bow tank?   Conflicting responses here.  Thanks.

You can try it and find out.  I say no.  

Note - I rarely have more than 3 in the boat and dont use the wedge.  I also dont run 100% full on both back bags.  I generally pull 25% out of the non surf side to list slightly. Using Mission wake plates. 

@goodmatt78 When i surf I have stock mls full in back center and front. I have 1100's in rear locker, 375 under cabin coffin seats. and a 800 in bow walk way... I run the wedge in all the way down position but use it to change height when I want to play on a short monster wave.. lower when I want a long firm wave..

• 2 weeks later...
29 minutes ago, lonestar said:

@Brett B why the 1-1/8" wye instead of 1" to match hose?

The inside diameters of these fittings are smaller than the hoses, so using a slightly larger fitting helps reduce the flow constriction. It may take a hairdryer to warm it up but the 1" hose will fit the 1 1/8" fittings.

• 4 weeks later...

I am about 75% done with my setup. I am going with vented bags and I have a question. 2011 vlx I have 3 holes on starboard side and 2 on the port. One on each side is for ballast vent and the third on the starboard side is for the bilge. What are the other 2 vents for. I can follow the hoses into the bottom of the boat and loose them. What are they for.

16 minutes ago, windy1 said:

I am about 75% done with my setup. I am going with vented bags and I have a question. 2011 vlx I have 3 holes on starboard side and 2 on the port. One on each side is for ballast vent and the third on the starboard side is for the bilge. What are the other 2 vents for. I can follow the hoses into the bottom of the boat and loose them. What are they for.

For the drain pumps 

Of course, the drain pumps. I feel silly now. I will probably Y my bag vents into my hard tank vents with a check valve and vent everything out one hole.

On 2/12/2017 at 7:25 AM, goodmatt78 said:

NOt sure if you have this answered already but I run 1500 rear 400 center 650 nose and wedge down. If I dont get the nose weight I dont find im as happy with the wave. That or I dont use the wedge, resulting in a smaller wave but more enjoyable shape.

• 3 months later...

Just doing this install and planning on grabbing the power from the push button circuit breakers underneath the throttle. My boat has a few breakers that were not being used so I want to switch them out to 30amp and grab power from there.  Anyone know what type of breakers these are and where I can get them?

Thanks!

M

Malibu3a.jpg

Edited by MJR63

I bought the Blue Seas brand on Amazon.  They are actually made by Carling Technologies.  They come in many different configurations, so you just have to search.

I used 25a for my Johnson pumps with screw terminals for both connections:  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DH35XEA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Edited by nlouthan
Correction

Yes!  After I posted this I found them on Amazon but only the double screw type, I could not find any that matched the factory setup (one screw connector and one spade connector).  I went with 30 amp fuses.  Install is in progress!