Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Best life jacket for kids

MALI-MONSTER

Our two kids (5 and 2 years old) are on the boat with us wherever we go. We currently have the standard Type 2 USCG approved life jackets for them. Until this year they really didn’t spend too much time in the water. This year they have been swimming every time that we stop, and I have noticed something quite alarming. The 5 year old is a fish with his life jacket on. I have no worries that if he ended up in the water unexpectedly and couldn’t be immediately rescued that he would be fine. On the other hand the 2 year old has limited swimming skills. Even with her Type 2 USCG approved life jacket on, she can’t keep her head above water on her own. The life jacket is in her size and weight range, and she has taken swim lessons weekly.

Does anybody have experience with different types of kid life jackets and found some to be better than others? I would feel a lot better if she could keep her head above water on her own with the jacket on.

In my experience a lot depends on the angle your child floats at. We have different flotation designs based on whos weraing. Latest buy was pretty standard jet pilots which are more symmetrical (less bulk in front) which seemed to cause more panic than anything in ours.

Stearns Puddle Jumper

Know of a few families that have these for their kids and they seem to do well with them.

We've found great Neo vests at Costco at the beginning of each season. Our son's been out on boats with us since he was 4 months old. He is more on the fish end of the scale though.

We had the standard jacket type for our 2 year old and had the same problem.

We got the puddle jumper and it works absolutly great. Now that our daughter can stay up right and swim around on her own she is a little fish. You can pick them up at Wal-Mart or Target

http://www.stearnsfl...t-P1914C26.aspx

So good for swimming for sure. Not GCA so wouldn't want to use it while driving or towing kids on a tube.

So good for swimming for sure. Not GCA so wouldn't want to use it while driving or towing kids on a tube.

It says it is CGA approved in the description.

It is CGA approved for riding in the boat.

NOT CGA for riding anything behind the boat.

our experience it that, if possible, you need to try before you buy.

each kid is different and each jacket acts differently.

especially w infants/toddlers.

their a** is made of some super floaty stuff and keeping it below their head is a tough job.

We have 3yr old, 5yr old and 6yr old

all neoprene vests

we have used Jobe, HO, Obrien, Liquid Force, Jet Pilot as they all continue to grow into the next size

Sizes we have used are 0-30lbs 30-50lbs & 50-90lbs

5 & 6 yr old are both solid swimmers and only use the standard version life vest

3yr old has the additional neck area flotation for right siding.

Safety is paramont, we too wanted to make sure the head was above water and with all the vests we have used along they seem to stay afloat, but I will add we always have someone in the water with the 3yr old. The 5 and 6 are jumping & diving off the sun deck and even starting to wakeboard as the tube is "too boring dad".

Best toy we ever bought was the EZ Ski, as young as 3 years old, they build confidence about being pulled behind the boat.

post-14907-0-05074500-1343257241_thumb.j

post-14907-0-75748900-1343257993_thumb.j

Edited by JAXONBOATS
  • Like 2

It is CGA approved for riding in the boat.

NOT CGA for riding anything behind the boat.

true.

We have our kids in puddle jumpers for easy swimming off boat and staying cool in boat, but if they want to tube or ez ski, they put on the neoprene vests.

We got the 5 year old an EZ Ski at the beginning of this year, and he loves it. It is amazing the confidence he had on it right from the start. Next year, big boy skis.

Thanks for all of the replies and suggestions. I think we are definetly going to get a Stearns Puddle Jumper for the 2 year old for general swimming. We are going to have to try some other designs for her for boating though. As others have mentioned, I worry about what would happen if she were to be in the water in a panic or knocked out. I guess that is were safe, defensive boat driving and keeping a high level of situational awareness of others on the water comes into play.

Yep the EZ ski rocks for building the kids self confidence, our son starting wakeboarding at 5, he can surf with the rope but has not figured out the wave is actually right there. Imagine how confident your daughter will be in the next couple of years, you will need a 247!!

since the original poster's question was answered, I'll try to slightly hijack. Has anyone found a 50- 70lb life jacket? My daughter is too big for the 30-50, but the 50 to 90 rides up on her.

since the original poster's question was answered, I'll try to slightly hijack. Has anyone found a 50- 70lb life jacket? My daughter is too big for the 30-50, but the 50 to 90 rides up on her.

I'm in the same boat, no pun intended. We found that this O'Neil, while it still rides up, does not cause any chafing or irritation. It's cut perfectly so that it won't rub armpits or cheeks. (Earlier this summer we were using a jacket from West Marine that caused horrible, painful "rug burn".)

"Type III Performance" is the description vs. other kids lifejackets they describe as "United States Coast Guard approved Life Jacket" or "Type III US Coast Guard Approved Life Jacket ". I don't have the actual puddle jumper to reference just going off of Stearns site. On a side note, this looks good and is rated very high on Amazon: http://www.stearnsflotation.com/Mens-V2-Series-Neoprene-Life-Jacket-P1867C23.aspx

our experience it that, if possible, you need to try before you buy.

each kid is different and each jacket acts differently.

especially w infants/toddlers.

their a** is made of some super floaty stuff and keeping it below their head is a tough job.

:rofl: