Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

paddle wheel problems

bscolari

i am having problems with my cruise on my 2011 v ride and just notice one of the fins next to the paddle wheel was cracked off. can this be peplaced or does it need to be rewired all the way back up to the dash with a new unit,

If it's like my 2005 RLXi, the guide fins are a part of the paddle wheel assembly that easily installs into the 'socket' in the hull. Although I have not pulled it apart, I'm fairly sure that the paddle wheel unit can be separated from the cable / sensor when the two Phillips screws are removed from the top of the plastic housing. Should mean that replacement of the paddle wheel assembly is very easy with the boat out of the water.

http://www.bakesonline.com/detail.aspx?ID=1060

Paddlewheel.jpg

Edited by GreenMan

yep.

note that I have run for entire seasons with both fins broke off. no noticeable problems.

I always carry a spare paddle wheel kit. I think they are around 15 bucks for just the wheel.

The entire sender can be replaced, but I think it comes with a wire tha runs all the way to the dash, not sure if you can splice it or not.

edit:

mine came with a plug that can be placed in the hole for the paddle wheel and instructions to actually do this when towing long distances. I have changed my paddle wheel while on the lake by pulling it (makes a cool fountain when water comes through the hole) and then threading the plug into place.

Edited by ilovetrains

Malibu's design (at least on the 2011 VLX) of putting the paddle wheel so close to the trailer bunk was a bad design. With my boat perfectly centered on the trailer, the paddle wheel's flange rubs against the bunk. If you have the boat an inch off of center towards the port side you will bend/break the fin on the paddle wheel assembly. None of the other manufacturer's boats (at this years boat show) has their paddle wheel any where close to the bunks. Malibu could've put the paddle wheel a few inches away from the bunk... but they didn't.

My paddle wheel got damaged from not being perfectly centered onto the trailer. I had it replaced under warranty. It comes with a short harness that plugs in, back by the engine compartment (on a 2011 VLX).

I think you should press the issue that it's a bad design and that Malibu should replace it.

Hope this helps.

I did the same thing loading my new to me VLX on my boat lift. Bunks were too narrow for the boat and it rested on the speedometer impeller. Had the dealer here replace it with the kit while they were doing some prop work (from a different event). Looked like an easy exchange process with the kit. Wasn't very expensive though. Working out the kinks of new boat ownership!