Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Ballast Pump Malfunction

WakeSwagger

No worries.  After you have the set screw out (don't drop it) and the blue retaining ring loosened, sometimes it takes a little more force than one would think to pull the cartridge out of the housing.

Is the pump really dead?  Sometimes after winter I'll have one or two seize and not want to spin and trip the breaker.  Pull the pump apart and spin the impeller by hand and then flip the switch just to make sure prior to reassembling.  Sometimes that's all it takes.  

So yesterday I checked the fuse box and the fuse had blown because the right tank was not filling. Took the left pump fuse out and put it in the "right fill" and it blew again. The pump was not even running, so I just assumed that it was shorting out and needed a new one? 

By by "flip the switch" you are referring to filling the tank, so you can see if the impeller is spinning? 

Just now, Gknappe said:

So yesterday I checked the fuse box and the fuse had blown because the right tank was not filling. Took the left pump fuse out and put it in the "right fill" and it blew again. The pump was not even running, so I just assumed that it was shorting out and needed a new one? 

By by "flip the switch" you are referring to filling the tank, so you can see if the impeller is spinning? 

It may just be bound up and causing it to blow a fuse (mine has breakers).  See if you can spin it by hand, it may fix it.  Hope that's all it takes.  Go ahead a buy a new one to have on hand as a spare.  Never know when you might need it.

Yes turn the pump of to see if it works.  I have actual switches, I assume you have a touch screen.  

I will check for al those things to see what it could be. For sure. I'll buy a few to have on back-up just in case. 

Mine has the fuse "chips" (idk what the correct terminology is). I have a 2010 LSV, so yes the touch screen controls ballast tanks and then the fill and drain buttons on the screens on each side of the steering wheel. 

Good luck.  Let me know if you have anymore questions.  You can PM me too.

Mini Blade style fuses.  

Edited by blk93jeepzj
spelling
  • 1 year later...
6 minutes ago, BoobieBoncer said:

I update mine to 1100s as they go out.. almost simple plug and play.. both have .75 inlets.. only have to update hose and connector to tank.. already did my rears :)

Just now, kerpluxal said:

I update mine to 1100s as they go out.. almost simple plug and play.. both have .75 inlets.. only have to update hose and connector to tank.. already did my rears :)

I looked long and hard in to this upgrade and found that the actual pump cartridge is exactly the same the only difference being the exit housing. this was per a conversation with WakeMakers. Can you post pictures to show the differences?

1 minute ago, BoobieBoncer said:

I looked long and hard in to this upgrade and found that the actual pump cartridge is exactly the same the only difference being the exit housing. this was per a conversation with WakeMakers. Can you post pictures to show the differences?

I will be accessing boat this weekend and will try to remember to take pics. The inlets are the same so you don't have to change anything there at all. I believe the pump housing is a little bit larger. The outlet is larger (1.125 vs .75). I have only done rears so far an accessing the tank was easy for them.. Upgraded to 1.125 hose from pump to tank and also updated inlet on tank from .75 to 1.0 (bought elbow from Ace). 

I did this because of a conversation with wakemakers (was going the route of updating inlet mushrooms and shutoff valves to 1.125 and they stated that Pirhana's have .75 inlet.. and they do) due to piggybacking 1100s. 

• Like 1
35 minutes ago, kerpluxal said:

I will be accessing boat this weekend and will try to remember to take pics. The inlets are the same so you don't have to change anything there at all. I believe the pump housing is a little bit larger. The outlet is larger (1.125 vs .75). I have only done rears so far an accessing the tank was easy for them.. Upgraded to 1.125 hose from pump to tank and also updated inlet on tank from .75 to 1.0 (bought elbow from Ace). 

I did this because of a conversation with wakemakers (was going the route of updating inlet mushrooms and shutoff valves to 1.125 and they stated that Pirhana's have .75 inlet.. and they do) due to piggybacking 1100s. 

Did the upgrade make that much of a difference?

1 hour ago, hunter77ah said:

Did the upgrade make that much of a difference?

oh yes... I can fill my floor tank (250) and the piggy back bag (1100.. 70% full) about the same time it takes to fill the center tank (500). The drain time on the rears with the 800 pumps takes for ever, never timed it.. start draining on way to beach.. hang out at beach till they are drained (beer or two lol).. on filling, leave from from beach (i fill while driving to location... and I drive faster there than back) they are almost full when I arrive, maybe wait 7 more minutes.. Yes.. it is worth the upgrade... They now have 2?00 pumps, but require more effort to plumb in (inlet changes also).

• 2 years later...

Hey guys, I have a 2007 VLX...  from what I gather I have 2 pumps for each ballast tank... (8 total Pumps) one to fill and one to empty...  the two outside drain/empty pumps are blowing fuses so I want to replace them...  but I can’t find access to them....  I see the fill pumps no problem, but can’t locate any of the drain pumps... Specifically I need access to the drain pumps for the outside tanks....  Any insight into where they are would be awesome...  

I have a 08 lsv so don’t know if it will be similar, but my rear empty pumps are under a small raised carpeted piece of flooring that is screwed down near the engine divider on each side Up against the back. Hope that helps.

• Thanks 1
19 hours ago, Haulin said:

Hey guys, I have a 2007 VLX...  from what I gather I have 2 pumps for each ballast tank... (8 total Pumps) one to fill and one to empty...  the two outside drain/empty pumps are blowing fuses so I want to replace them...  but I can’t find access to them....  I see the fill pumps no problem, but can’t locate any of the drain pumps... Specifically I need access to the drain pumps for the outside tanks....  Any insight into where they are would be awesome...  

On my 06 VLX you had to pull the floor up in the rear storage area. Pain in the a$$ but doable. in 08 they added an access door. the  drain pumps will be all the way back against the rear of the boat. Don't know if 07 had access doors.

• 1 year later...

Hi - We have a 2008 Malibu VRide. The left ballast pump quit working so we replaced it. Now it will turn on to pump water in but does nothing to drain. We switched to a different fuse, nothing. We switched the switches around with the right one and it still did the same.  Any ideas of what could be wrong?

An 08 would not have reversible pumps as the OEM ballast pump, they would be aerators. These require a dedicated fill and dedicated drain for each ballast tank/sac. So if @LLL replaced an aerator fill pump in the bilge, id find the drain pump at the tank, and test it.