Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Ballast Pump Malfunction

WakeSwagger

The left ballast tank will not empty. I've replaced the fuse and water will drain out for a second then it will blow the fuse. Is this a sign that something is clogged in the pump?

The boat is a 2010 Wakesetter

Mine did the same thing. Probably gummed up pump. If its the cartridge type, take the one screw out of the top, unscrew the ring and pull the cartridge out. Give the pump a spin with your hand and also check for debris while you have it out. If that doesn't fix it, I'd say replace.

just did two this week... blown fuses...if it is not debris.... make a new cartridge happen... after my dance this week... i now carry a spare cartridge... $50 is cheap insurance on a holiday.... 20 minutes to replace including wiring.

I have changed 3 cartridges this year @ 850 hrs on the clock. Tore apart old ones and found they eventually start leaking at the seals where the impeller spins and it fills the motor windings with corrosion. I always keep 2 spares on hand. Quick fix. If they start to squeal but still pump, change them out as they will fail soon.

Thanks

I see the two pumps in the back by the motor, one of which is blowing my fuses, which seem to fill the rear tanks. But in the access panel in the floor by the drivers seat, I count 3 pumps. It seems like one pump to many? Anyone know why 3 instead of 2?

I had the same problem with the Left Pump, First Blown Fuse and I fixed that, now it works but its Sporadic , Sometimes it drain and other times I have to get the nose in the air as to prime it or something, All the other pumps Drain the instant I push the button, But the left pump does not, It will eventually drain when it feels like it, So how do I take apart this pump I would assume it's the same as in most of the newer Bu.

There is a screw next to the blue ring on top of the pump that holds a small piece of plastic. Remove the screw and be sure to drop the plastic piece down in the bilge like I did so that you can play hide & seek with it :biggrin: . After you find it and put it someplace that it won't fall into the bilge again, grab the bottom of the pump with one hand and twist the blue ring with the other. That will loosen the cartridge and it pulls straight up. A new cartridge is about 40 bucks at Bakes.

Mine does this from time to time. In my case it is air locked. I clear mine by turning on the fill pump briefly, until water comes out the drain pump line and then turning on the drain pump.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Alright we need some help. Our center drain pump is hard to turn by hand. It is probably done due to it whining and pumping slower than normal the last time we used it. And that time it wasnt working until we took it apart.

Now, when i flip the switch, the relay is in and the light on the switch turns on, but the relay does not pop out 5 seconds later. Does this mean that the fuse is fried? We do not have a multimeter and do not want to splice into the wires until we put in a new cartridge. And we took out the cartridge, took off the impeller, and removed the 2 screws, but the white casing wont come off. Is it sealed so no water can get in leaving no way to look at the motor in there?

Yes, their sealed.

I think once they have gummed up once to the point that they don't spin on their own, even though you freed it up, it's on it's way down & out. Time to replace.

ok so heres what we did. we took off the blue impeller, and spun the motor shaft with a vice grip. the pump worked. We put the impeller back on with it out of the housing, the pump worked but sometimes needed us to turn it to to get it started, when we put it in the housing, it would not run. So we turned it on outside the housing, then tried to slip it into the housing. We heard grinding on the way down and then it would die out. The housing is very clean. We wiped out all the stuff of the housing and there was still grinding.

Sounds like the motor doesnt have enough torque to keep going in the housing or there is some rubbing and we dont know why. We are planning on buying a new cartridge but do you think the housing could be a problem? i will try to post some pictures of the housing but it looks good on the inside.

• 3 years later...
On July 16, 2012 at 4:40 AM, coyote055 said:

There is a screw next to the blue ring on top of the pump that holds a small piece of plastic. Remove the screw and be sure to drop the plastic piece down in the bilge like I did so that you can play hide & seek with it :biggrin: . After you find it and put it someplace that it won't fall into the bilge again, grab the bottom of the pump with one hand and twist the blue ring with the other. That will loosen the cartridge and it pulls straight up. A new cartridge is about 40 bucks at Bakes.

Will be replacing my right pump today and never done it before. Just so I know I'm doing things right, this is what I'll be doing. 

Unclamp the the hoses that lead to the pump, unscrew the small plastic piece and set that aside, then I will be unscrewing the whole pump, correct? Not just the top of it? Or do I just need to unscrew the top cartridge? 

Once that is finished, put the new pump in and secure the hoses with the clamps and screw in the plastic piece and we are ready to ride?

Sorry to bother, just want to make sure I'm doing things right. I appreciate the advice and guidance