Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Malibu Sportster LX

sasknel79

Can you wakesurf behind a 2003 Malibu Sportster LX?

I am considering buying one because of size restrictions at our lake, but want a 20' boat that I can wakesurf behind for a decent price since our summers are very short here.

If you're a novice boat driver be careful. I've sacked out my Sporty for surfing and to get even a halfway decent wave going the rubrail will be underwater. Keep your eye out for rollers from other boats. Sporties don't have much freeboard not weighted you put a bunch of weight in one and it's not hard to take water over the side.

I just started surfing with my sportster with a wedge and you just need to be careful. Also watch the gas vent on the back when you slow down. It's definitely do able though.

• 2 weeks later...

We have tried it a few times on my boat. 2 400# sacks L'd up in the back. Lots of people. The water will pretty much roll right into the boat. I surf the left side to keep the vent high and dry.

• 1 month later...

I have a 99 sunsetter lx, we run two 750 sacks. One in rear corner and one on side of surfing. As well as a 400 in ski locker. Wedge all the way down. Kicks a fun waste high peeler I can surf until my legs fall off

I have a 99 sunsetter lx, we run two 750 sacks. One in rear corner and one on side of surfing. As well as a 400 in ski locker. Wedge all the way down. Kicks a fun waste high peeler I can surf until my legs fall off

DD7A8405-422E-4E34-A228-24A52C0C085D-24505-000010D7C1A9153B.jpg

This is the wake John's talking about. I'm not sure what hull the sportster runs, but ours is the wake hull. loaded down about 1800-1900 lbs plus the wedge down. This is at 9.5 mph on the perfect pass.

Edited by alxmlr789
  • 3 years later...
On 6/28/2012 at 9:29 PM, NorCaliBu said:

If you're a novice boat driver be careful. I've sacked out my Sporty for surfing and to get even a halfway decent wave going the rubrail will be underwater. Keep your eye out for rollers from other boats. Sporties don't have much freeboard not weighted you put a bunch of weight in one and it's not hard to take water over the side.

How much ballast weight did you use to get a decent wake and where did you place your ballast. Did you use a wedge? Did you ride ropeless, if so for how long

On 7/13/2012 at 7:49 AM, Enteringnickland said:

We have tried it a few times on my boat. 2 400# sacks L'd up in the back. Lots of people. The water will pretty much roll right into the boat. I surf the left side to keep the vent high and dry.

Did you go ropless, if so for how long? Also did you have a wedge and any weight near the bow?