Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Labor price to pull a transmission?

Colby2ya

Ok, so i have to get my transmission pulled and replaced and i was wondering if anybody had an idea on what they should be charging me? Or does anybody know where i can find a book online that usually gets a rough estimate on how much they should charge for a job like that?

On a v-drive its a pain for sure, the whole back of the boat has to come apart, transmission replaced and then the whole thing aligned and the interior put back together.

I'd say 6 hours +/- is reasonable. Unlikely you'll find a book anywhere, only dealers would have access to it.

When I had mine done a few years back on a DD the total price was $3000. I don't remember how much of that was transmission and how much was labor. That also included a new rudder, and some other misc. parts, but I would guess it was around $1000 @ $100/hr

Yea well my dealer is charging me 5300 total, and that is for a rebuilding my tranny. 2000 just for pulling and replacing. Seems i'm getting f*****!

Edited by Colby2ya

I believe Malibu Warranty quotes about 4-5 hrs.... and it pisses the dealers off because to relax, do a good job, not a hack job, it takes time to do things right.

so at $120 hourly.. a reasonable price would be 600-1000$ for labor.

A lot of the time involved will depend on the dealer's equipment as well as how much room there is to work between fuel tank and v drive. On some models, I can see pulling it in not much time at all as the rear engine mounts don't even need to be loosened. IF you had 2 guys I bet interior could be out and tranny out in 1.5 hours. Yes I've done it. Reinstall slightly tougher but its not that big of a deal unless motor mounts have to come up.

Part of why its such a big PITA is they have to completely remove the entire back seat, cross members around the engine, all of it. I remember the mechanic talking the worst part of it is finding the resessed screws that are burried in the carpeting in the rear seat area....probing arouns with a pick to find them.

I think I would get a couple most estimates if possible before paying that much! Have you talked with anyone else in your area about a price? Ask any of the crew for recommendations for good mechanics in your area and see who they can guide you to.

I believe Malibu Warranty quotes about 4-5 hrs.... and it pisses the dealers off because to relax, do a good job, not a hack job, it takes time to do things right.

so at $120 hourly.. a reasonable price would be 600-1000$ for labor.

One other thing on this I forgot to add... if you have a quality mechanic even willing to do a tranny job right now, prime boating season, and do it in a quick turn, there WILL be a premium for that job. So if a tranny pull costs 1000$ in DEC, I could see easily how that job could cost $2000k in May/June. And if he is quality and stands behind his work, i'd consider that to be money well spent to get it done right and get back out on the water.

Quality marine mechanics are hard to find and as such justifiably pull a premium for their services.

Its really not that hard. The rear superstructure has 8 bolts as I recall all pretty accessible. IMO the hardest part is getting a wrench on the bolts holding rear vertical seatback into the gunnels. I have no doubt I could be removing bolts on tranny in 90 minutes.

Edited by 85 Barefoot

When I had mine done a few years back on a DD the total price was $3000. I don't remember how much of that was transmission and how much was labor. That also included a new rudder, and some other misc. parts, but I would guess it was around $1000 @ $100/hr

To remove a tranny on a direct drive? That is ridiculous. 4 bolts on coupler and 6-8 on the housing I coulda had that thing SWAPPED in an hour.

My suggestion would be for you to try to remove all the stuff that just takes time and no skill and then bring the boat in ready for tranny to be plucked, let them swap and you put interior back together....just an idea

• Like 2

Yea well my dealer is charging me 5300 total, and that is for a rebuilding my tranny. 2000 just for pulling and replacing. Seems i'm getting f*****!

You can buy a new transmission for ~$1500, time to find a new dealer. No way is there ~20 hours labor to change out a transmission. It is 8 hours work including a water test at most.

My boat is also currently in the shop getting a new transmission. I'm being quoted $2500 for the transmission and approxiamately $500 for labor. We will probably do the damper plate while its apart since I bought the boat used and I dont know if the previous owner has done it yet. So I expect my total bill to be around $3300-$3500.

My dealer will not install any of the $1500 units you can find online, they will only install parts that they recieve directly from Indmar. I tried with no success to argue the point of not wanting to pay Indmar's markup and waving my warranty in order to save $1000. Most of the units online come with a 2 year warranty anyway...

In my case I beleive the labor is very fair, but I'm getting hit pretty good on the tranny itself.

• 7 years later...

I had the tranny and V Drive replaced on a 2016 23 LSV (last year) with a new unit (Insurance replacement).   Quote 5 hours labor to remove and replace Tranny & V Drive.  + 2 hours to R&R the prop shaft.  Shipping cost was separate too.  Then water test.  Fortunate for me Insurance covered all costs except $175 deductible.  

1. Indmar Brand new unit (Tranny & V Drive) parts and labor   $6000
  2. R&R Prop Shaft + Alignment                                                      $  300
  3. Water Test                                                                                     $  125
  4. Clean & Detail Boat + Winterize                                                 $  No Charge
  5. Shipping new unit (Expensive)                                                   $ 560
  6. Total                                                                                                $6985

I'll bet you could save some coin by removing all the seats, hatches, and ski pylon bracing before taking it to the shop and having them do the "heavy lifting" and water test only.

• Like 2

it's not hard to remove the engine compartment frame and the backseat.  I just removed the engine compartment frame to get it re-powder coated last week.  Took me about 30 minutes to remove the frame which connects to the back of the seat with 10 screws.  Once the Frame is out, then you can reach on both sides of the back seat and feel for the bolt and washer.  I would talk to the dealer and tell them you will be removing all of that to cut cost and see what they say.