Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Cool New Product Just Out!

Wakesetter67

Rob,

8' won't cut it. You'll need 4 sets of RCA cables. 1 set going out of your Black Box (front output) to the ZLD, then 3 sets going back to your amps for each zone. If you're going to add more than one amp per zone you'll obiously need to add a short pass through RCA set by the amps. I assume you'll install the unit under the driver dash within easy reach. I used 17' RCA cables when I did mine, but probably could have gotten away with 14' RCA's. I didn't want to take a chance because they are routed away from everything like medallion box, computer, etc that could cause noise... My amps are not all right next to each other on an amp rack so wanted to make sure I had long enough cables, didn't want to have to extend them.

Liljohn might have a bracket or two still available, if not PM him he gave his original CNC design to a machine shop. They are the only real deal out there.

As far as the unit being 8 volts, I have no doubt, but I haven't measured it. I swapped the clarion 7v unit to the ZLD and had to retune my setup, certainly seemed to have more voltage than the clarion as I had to adjust the gains down some on the amps. That's just my hands on experience with it.

14'..really! Man I thought I was generous with 8'. I assume you went direct not all the way around the bow. Ok good to know. 14ft it is. Lil Jon put me down for a bracket!

14'..really! Man I thought I was generous with 8'. I assume you went direct not all the way around the bow. Ok good to know. 14ft it is. Lil Jon put me down for a bracket!

Yeah I went infront of the bow tank. You should be good with 14', just make sure you run them away from electronics under the dash.

Might be good news for you

have a bracket that john made that I will be needing anymore

Edited by my malibu

Yeah I went infront of the bow tank. You should be good with 14', just make sure you run them away from electronics under the dash.

Which infront do you mean..like infront or infront but really behind? How about the stern side of the bow tank..sound better?

Which infront do you mean..like infront or infront but really behind? How about the stern side of the bow tank..sound better?

Yeah how about behind the bow tank towards the Stearn LOL.

Do you loose control of the head unit volume once you install the ZLD?

That's the whole point. You leave the hu set at a fixed volume and then use the eq as your volume control.

No, you will not lose the HU volume control by adding an EQ. However, most EQs will have a front panel master volume if you find that more convenient to use. But if you have a transom remote or other controls you want to maintain, adding an EQ will not exclude any of these.

David

Yes you will loose your remote control function if you hook your ipod up to the aux input of the ZLD and have your black box/headunit hooked up to the main input. Adjusting the volume on the headunit will do nothing in this scenario. Your headunit volume only works if you are running your source through it.

No, you will not lose the HU volume control by adding an EQ. However, most EQs will have a front panel master volume if you find that more convenient to use. But if you have a transom remote or other controls you want to maintain, adding an EQ will not exclude any of these.

David

I set the balck box to start at 26 on the volume when powered up. I also set the auto volume to max in Malivue which increases the volume to 38 at the max increase / rpm. I then tweak the volume with the EQ to get the volume i want but rarely use the HU volume control. This setup works almost perfectly for increasing the volume when underway, whatever volume I start with sounds about the same once underway.

Does the unit come with mounting brackets? Trying to pre-plan the install. Right now I'm thinking of a wrapped module under the dash. Trying to match the dash vinyl has been fun. Last resort is a 1/2 DIN to single DIN Metra in the armrest.

Since the photos show the mounting holes in the side of the chassis it should come with the standard set of metal 'L' brackets that you can turn to the inside or outside.

I would expect the chassis size to be around 4.5"D x 7"W x 1"H.

David

It obviously comes with mounting brackets. So what else would you expect it to come with? RCA lengths can't be determined in advance. With a manual, box and brackets I would call it a complete product.

David

• 2 weeks later...

They just got them in, should be shipping anytime.

I stopped in and talked with Brian this afternoon. They were working on getting them out while I was there! :clap:

Edited by JTech
  • 2 weeks later...

Anybody got their's yet? Any product reviews forth coming?

I've got mine in - finished it last weekend. I really like it! I just need to get it into Brian to help with a final tune of the whole system. I'm waiting for the weather to get a bit better before venturing out with it to their shop. As soon as i get that done I will report back. I do really like the ability for quick volume adjustment while driving. I hated the MUX control to turn it down when picking up a skier - took forever punching the down button. With this - just a quick turn to full cut off of volume.