Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Towing

WakeSwagger

We know Bobby Light's stance on the Ecoboost, but to the others, I would suggest driving it before you pass too much judgement. I had many of the same reservations about a V-6 engine in a tow vehicle, but after I test drove the 5.0 and Ecoboost, I have a new truck on order with the Ecoboost. It is an amaizing engine. True, it doesn't sound like a V8, but it sure performs well. The low end torque is great, which was the big difference between it and the 5.0 I noticed.

Bottom line is both the 5.0 and Ecoboost seem to be great engines. I can't speak to the 6.2, but I'm sure it is solid as well. For us, the low end grunt of the Ecoboost won us over, as it seems to do with most F-150 buyers now as it is the most popular engine being sold in the F-150. Motortrend even went as far to say in their 2012 Truck of the Year issue that they wouldn't count out only seeing the base V-6 and the Ecoboost being offered inthe F-150 in a few years.

Two of the best articles I found on the Ecoboost and 5.0 when I was reseraching are linked below, for those interested.

Ecoboost

Ok i stand corrected lol we havnt had much to do with the EcoBoost's here is aus but it sounds like its taken off over in the US. we are finding over here that all the tow vehicle are going for a smaller block and turbocharging it.. they seem to be able to get the power out of them aswell so maybe the ecoboost will be the next big thing in aus too! im still a firm believer in theres no replacement for displacement lol

Ok i stand corrected lol we havnt had much to do with the EcoBoost's here is aus but it sounds like its taken off over in the US. we are finding over here that all the tow vehicle are going for a smaller block and turbocharging it.. they seem to be able to get the power out of them aswell so maybe the ecoboost will be the next big thing in aus too! im still a firm believer in theres no replacement for displacement lol

Especially when you boost them... I've seen some pretty crazy smaller displacement power. A single turbo V6 in a grand national putting out 1000 hp and over 1200 ft lb tq. But I've never seen one in an HD application subject towing, hauling, etc...

LOL the V8 mentality is pretty much why America is so far behind in terms of engine technology.

That's a pretty ignorant statement. How about all of these non-US car manufacturers that just happen to currently have V8's in ther 2012 lineup:

Aston Martin

Land Rover

Porsche

BWM

Mercedes Benz

Audi

Toyota / Lexus

Nissan / Infinity

Ferrari

The list goes on - America isn't the only country building V8's. Please enlighten us on what "engine technology" coming from other makers - in motors costing similar money - that are out-doing what the Big 3 are making.

First off I'm talking internationally, not what intl car makers are offering (which actually proves my point) but what they have, and is widely used outside of NA yet not offered here.

For the purpose of this argument we can leave Ferrari and Aston Martin out, because they offer nothing in which would be deemed suitable for towing.

If you look at Land Rover, Audi, BMW, VW, Porsche and Benz, they all offer a huge array of turbo diesel or smaller than V8 engines within all the vehicles that could be rated to tow a boat. I'm on my phone so I can't cite a source, but I bet sales of V8 versions of said vehicles pal in comparison to the turbo diesel or smaller displacement engines.

Toyota and Nissan do not offer the V8 in their pickups outside of north America, why you ask? Because nobody wants one. They both have 4/6 cyl turbo diesels and V6 engines.

Ford and Holden (GM), do offer an array of V8s in saloons and utes (think el camino) throughout Australia and New Zealand. But this is because there is a V8 mentality there too, not so much in nz as Australia. Ford even offers a v6 turbo in the saloons/utes too.

That said you'll find the majority of people using vehicles such as the BMW x5 tdi or a Nissan Patrol with a 6cyl turbo diesel to tow, over the V8s

While vehicles such as the Toureg TDi and the X5 diesel (which only came out in 2011) are gaining in sales they are no where near the sales of v8 trucks.

And it's because they are new and untested in the market, why werent they bought out 20 years ago like they were in every other country besides north America? Because there is a American mentality that bigger is better, and car makers saw no point in trying to change that at a time when America was considered the worlds leading country.

First off I'm talking internationally, not what intl car makers are offering (which actually proves my point) but what they have, and is widely used outside of NA yet not offered here.

For the purpose of this argument we can leave Ferrari and Aston Martin out, because they offer nothing in which would be deemed suitable for towing.

If you look at Land Rover, Audi, BMW, VW, Porsche and Benz, they all offer a huge array of turbo diesel or smaller than V8 engines within all the vehicles that could be rated to tow a boat. I'm on my phone so I can't cite a source, but I bet sales of V8 versions of said vehicles pal in comparison to the turbo diesel or smaller displacement engines.

Toyota and Nissan do not offer the V8 in their pickups outside of north America, why you ask? Because nobody wants one. They both have 4/6 cyl turbo diesels and V6 engines.

Ford and Holden (GM), do offer an array of V8s in saloons and utes (think el camino) throughout Australia and New Zealand. But this is because there is a V8 mentality there too, not so much in nz as Australia. Ford even offers a v6 turbo in the saloons/utes too.

That said you'll find the majority of people using vehicles such as the BMW x5 tdi or a Nissan Patrol with a 6cyl turbo diesel to tow, over the V8s

While vehicles such as the Toureg TDi and the X5 diesel (which only came out in 2011) are gaining in sales they are no where near the sales of v8 trucks.

And it's because they are new and untested in the market, why werent they bought out 20 years ago like they were in every other country besides north America? Because there is a American mentality that bigger is better, and car makers saw no point in trying to change that at a time when America was considered the worlds leading country.

You never once mentioned the large price difference between diesel and gasoline outside of North America being a huge driving force towards diesel powered anything. Pretty much kills your argument...many of these buyers would like a gasoline vehicle (car or truck), but it just isn't a cost effective option.

You never once mentioned the large price difference between diesel and gasoline outside of North America being a huge driving force towards diesel powered anything. Pretty much kills your argument...many of these buyers would like a gasoline vehicle (car or truck), but it just isn't a cost effective option.

I live in America and pay the premium for the diesel engine because I feel it is better suited for towing and driving in general compared to gas.

I know the majority of diesel engines in the US are in 3/4 ton trucks and above. I have one but also have a TDI Touareg as well. My wife is also considering a TDI car in the near future to replace her Civic. I really wish the American market could get past the diesel stigma so we could get some of the engines available in the rest of the world.

I have nothing against gas and think the new Ecoboost is as close as you can get to a diesel without switching. Only time will tell if they will hold up, and I hope they will.

Edited by jesutton3

10 cents difference. Ten cents. Diesel being more EXPENSIVE.

Many would like a gasoline vehicle? hahahah. No they wouldn't. Why do you think there are so many small diesel engines available in nearly every vehicle sold in Europe? Because diesel gets better mileage and 10 cents is negligible.

Maybe next will be some crossover type engine between an ecoboost and a diesel.

Steve B.

I do not know what that would be but...........

One of my buddies had a class C motorhome. The kind with the E 450 van front end and the big gas motor.

His wife , her sisters, and their daughters took it on a road trip together several hundred miles.

Mostly freeway , no big deal.

The oldest sister told the gas station guy it took diesel as she was paying for the gas.

It stopped running about 5 miles up the freeway.

I guess that qualifies as a crossover between a gas and a diesel.