Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Towing

WakeSwagger

Anybody on here tow with an LR4? If so, how does it do? I'm coming off a 5.3 Tahoe that did not tow a 23 lsv well. I'm aware of the GM 6.2 and how well it tows but if anyone knows of other strong performing vehicles please post!

Rather than going to the gas guzzling 6.2. I'd recommend an edge programmer, banks cold air intake & some after market exhaust. That's what I did with my chev 1/2 ton instead of going to a diesel......couldn't be happier with the extra power.

Sorry I don't have any advice on the LR4

Never towed with an LR4, but given the size/weight, I wouldn't be too comfortable towing (a 23 LSV) down any large declines. Go for a diesel, you'll hardly be able to feel the 23, plus gas mileage is awesome. I bought an 05 dodge cummins, and I really can't feel my boat. Plus I get about 21mpg on the highway empty, and about 13-14 towing.

Check out the LR forums on the net. There are plenty of owners towing with LR's at maximum (3500kg).

I was pretty keen on a LR3, however dealer support here in Australia is pretty thin.

A 5 year old second hand F250 or similar here in Australia will cost around 80to$100k for a nice one.

They just aren't feasible for most people to own. not to mention u can't park them anywhere here!!

Consequently most Aussies tow with Landcruisers, Patrols and other real 4x4's etc. these types of vehicles will handle up to 3000kg on their ear.

Of course it is law here for all heavier trailers to have electrically controlled trailer brakes with a manual control in the cabin of the tow vehicle.

My VTX is on a trailer that has electric/hydraulic discs on all four trailer wheels with a break away system. I can stop the whole rig with just the trailer if I want.

If set up properly a LR4 will tow the OPs boat quite fine!!

if he is looking at an LR4 i don't think a diesel pick-up would be a comparison. What I will add is we tow a 23LSV part of the time with a regular wheel base escalade (same as your tahoe) which is a 16" longer wheelbase than the LR4 . What I do find is the weight and length of the 23 lsv on the trailer (about 28') you really feel the boat leading the truck... braking performance is ok but on windy days or uneven pavement the trailer really moves the truck around. If you are not comfortable with how the tahoe tracked the LR4 should generally no better, potentially even a bit more squirmy with the independent rear suspension. Give a solid rear axle credit... it is the best towing arrangement.

I have both extremes..... a short wheel base escalade and a crew cab dually diesel.

What are your other options?

It sounds like you are unhappy with the powerplant in the tahoe. If that's the only issue you might consider throwing a blower on that thing for a lot less than any upgrade you'd be considering. That should tow pretty well, especially with a 6 speed tranny.

The German Cars and SUV's have bigger brakes and better handling than the LR 4, or any of the Asian choices. With some research you can pick out the brake size, tire size, and towing capacities.

We have a Benz E 350 4 Matic sedan we ordered 5 years ago. It has been trouble free.

If it was me I would really consider an ML 550. Lots of power, 7 speed auto, huge brakes, fat tires, yet a very quiet ride, and a nice balance of handling and comfort. The Cayenne and BMW SUV's handle better but are not as good for total comfort on a road trip.

Frankly, I would do a V8 Tourag before the Land Rover.

Except the OP might actually want to go off road ....... :) The LR or the Japs will leave everything else for dead there!! :)

Big brakes on the tow car aren't that much of an advantage if the trailer is properly braked. My last tow car had massive 385mm 4 pot brakes and 365mm 4 pots on the rear pulling a centre mount on a trailer with mechanical override brakes....... my basic old Nissan Patrol towing the VTX on a trailer with electric on hydraulic brakes stops far quicker and with less fuss!!!

The LR4's stability control is also tuned for towing ....

The LR's also have self levelling air suspension which will greatly assist handling when fully loaded with a heavy weight on the tow ball....

Here in Australia people literally rely on their 4x4's to survive when they are in the outback, Landrovers have proven themselves capable of handling the tough deserts and endless corrugations found on the desert tracks, but for every LR you see in the bush in Australia you will see 100 Toyota Land Cruisers and 50 Nissan Patrols ...... MB, VW, Dodge, Chev, ect. You just dont see them out there, thats not by accident ;)

My personal preference would be a Twin Turbo Land Cruiser, but over there in the states if there are plenty of LR dealers the LR4 would be a fantastic tow/camping/fishing/exploring machine!!

So what sort of brakes do the trailers Malibu sell in the US have on them?? Are they just mechanical override brakes??

Edited by notorious_benny

Except the OP might actually want to go off road ....... :) The LR or the Japs will leave everything else for dead there!! :)

Big brakes on the tow car aren't that much of an advantage if the trailer is properly braked. My last tow car had massive 385mm 4 pot brakes and 365mm 4 pots on the rear pulling a centre mount on a trailer with mechanical override brakes....... my basic old Nissan Patrol towing the VTX on a trailer with electric on hydraulic brakes stops far quicker and with less fuss!!!

The LR4's stability control is also tuned for towing ....

The LR's also have self levelling air suspension which will greatly assist handling when fully loaded with a heavy weight on the tow ball....

Here in Australia people literally rely on their 4x4's to survive when they are in the outback, Landrovers have proven themselves capable of handling the tough deserts and endless corrugations found on the desert tracks, but for every LR you see in the bush in Australia you will see 100 Toyota Land Cruisers and 50 Nissan Patrols ...... MB, VW, Dodge, Chev, ect. You just dont see them out there, thats not by accident ;)

My personal preference would be a Twin Turbo Land Cruiser, but over there in the states if there are plenty of LR dealers the LR4 would be a fantastic tow/camping/fishing/exploring machine!!

So what sort of brakes do the trailers Malibu sell in the US have on them?? Are they just mechanical override brakes??

Each state in the USA, has its own laws governing trailer braking requirements. In many states, brakes are required if the trailer gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) is 3000 # or more, and in other states it can be as low as 1000#. In tandem axle trailer applications, brakes may be required on all axles if the GVWR is above a specified weight. In Louisiana, for example, if the trailer is tandem axle, and the GVWR is 5000# or more, then brakes are required on all axles.

As far as why you don't see those other makes in the outback has more to do with $ than anything else as you mentioned earlier as well as being able to park them. The MB of road unit he proved itself over the world deserts just as capable as any other. Personally if I wanted to off-road it'd be a jeep. Most people aren't going to go off road w/ a 50+ k vehicle, there are exceptions of course. Dodge just reentered the market there in '06 after a 30yr absence. You won't see many LR here compared to GM, Ford, Dodge trucks and suv's.

Stop messing around and get a bb.... :)

A new Land-cruiser is circa $100k here in OZ, it is actually about capability and reliability, the Aussie outback is seriously, seriously harsh and remote, even highly modified touring vehicles need to take multiple spare sets of shocks, tyres, and basic parts to survive the canning stock route ......... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canning_Stock_Route

The MB G-Wagen certainly looks like a capable outback tourer, a spattering of Jeeps may be seen out there .......... but the ML's, Touregs ect ...... no way!!!

Anyway, what makes a capable off roader for exploring the Australian outback doesn't necessarily make the best on road tow vehicle ........ I would personally love a big diesel F-truck or similar for myself to tow my boat around the eastern part of the country, I would still need a Landcruiser or Patrol in my Garage for what we Aussies call "The Big Trip"

If the OP's trailer has electrically activated brakes I would definitely say the LR4 would be more than fine ..... but it sounds like most of your trailers over there have basic surge style brakes ...... in that case bigger is better when it comes to the tow vehicle!!!

Forgot to add ..... wheelbase is one consideration when taking into account how stable a vehcile will tow, another consideration though is wheelbase combined with how far BEHIND the rear wheels the tow hitch is ..... look at a VW Taureg and also the LR4 for example, the tow point is very close to the rear axles compared to some of the SUV's and pickups that might have a longer wheelbase. The further behind the rear axles the tow point is, the more susceptible the vehicle is to swaying........

the gov't really screws y'all in australia. you're missing out on so many awesome vehicles.

There's a few we got screwed out of too that the Aussies have.

I've been looking at selling my classic pickup and my beemer for a single tow vehicle/daily driver that I could haul kiddos with (in the future). I drive about 29 miles each way to work mostly hilly highway so economy is important unloaded. I've considered the LR4, the Toyota Tacoma Quad Cab, and the new F150 Ecoboost. I'm still not sure if I would be pleased with the LR4 or the Tacoma towing the boat long distances. There are some pretty decent hills through the mountains that can work a tow vehicle and it's brakes if they aren't up for the task. I know the F150 would crush the other 2 in towing, but dang it's not cheap......but I'm sure a Ford fan. ford.gif The plus for me with the Tacoma is I get to save close to 15k over the F150 and I get my manual tranny with a modest tow capacity (6400lbs). I need to hitch my dad's Tacoma up to the boat and see how it does next season.

Our Denali, with a 6.2 and a 6 speed tranny, tows the LSV with ease. It gets 20+ on the highway, with 6 people, 12-14 towing. We came from a 5.3 Suburban so I know your issue. the Denali has been great.

Edited by dlb

Our Denali, with a 6.2 and a 6 speed tranny, tows the LSV with ease. It gets 20+ on the highway, with 6 people, 12-14 towing. We came from a 5.3 Suburban so I know your issue. the Denali has been great.

Ditto with the same engine / transmission in a Sierra Crew Cab, but only seats for 5.

There's a few we got screwed out of too that the Aussies have.

I've been looking at selling my classic pickup and my beemer for a single tow vehicle/daily driver that I could haul kiddos with (in the future). I drive about 29 miles each way to work mostly hilly highway so economy is important unloaded. I've considered the LR4, the Toyota Tacoma Quad Cab, and the new F150 Ecoboost. I'm still not sure if I would be pleased with the LR4 or the Tacoma towing the boat long distances. There are some pretty decent hills through the mountains that can work a tow vehicle and it's brakes if they aren't up for the task. I know the F150 would crush the other 2 in towing, but dang it's not cheap......but I'm sure a Ford fan. ford.gif The plus for me with the Tacoma is I get to save close to 15k over the F150 and I get my manual tranny with a modest tow capacity (6400lbs). I need to hitch my dad's Tacoma up to the boat and see how it does next season.

With my old 1/2 ton I only got 1mpg less than a buddies tacoma and that was before they came out with 6-speed tannys. So to have the room, increased comfort, and towing hauling capacity it wasn't even a choice.

oh and.....

post-6-002861400 1324483652_thumb.jpg :tease1:

:chevy:

I would be leary of using a F150 with the Eco boost 6 for towing. While it makes good HP the bottom end torque just isnt there. That and why pay an up charge to get 1 Mile a gallon better than Chevys V8. Lol of course I may be a little biased being a Chevy fan. Just my two cents.

I have a Buick Rainier, yes Buick did make SUVs. With the 5.3L I can pull my LXI with ease, but if I had to deal with hills, the 6.2 is the way to go. Although I have a 2007 Ford F150 Harley Davidson 4X4, and the truck pulls the boat like it aint back there. The Titon engine is a stump pulling machine.

Edited by jkendallmsce

I would be leary of using a F150 with the Eco boost 6 for towing. While it makes good HP the bottom end torque just isnt there. That and why pay an up charge to get 1 Mile a gallon better than Chevys V8. Lol of course I may be a little biased being a Chevy fan. Just my two cents.

Do you have any idea what you are talking about? There may be reasons to be leery of a twin turbo motor (maintenance and repair costs for one), but I don't think having enough torque down low is one of them.

F150_Torque_Curves.jpg

ecoboostchart.png

Edited by shawndoggy

If u cant or wont do a diesel pu, then consider an AWD Denali or escalade in truck or suburban form, 6.2 engine, gas mileage is not all that bad

"gas mileage is not all that bad"

Your kidding right?

Edited by Debt Setter

Do you have any idea what you are talking about? There may be reasons to be leery of a twin turbo motor (maintenance and repair costs for one), but I don't think having enough torque down low is one of them.

ecoboostchart.png

You beat me to it. That motor is a beast, but I'd still be nervous of how it does in the long term.

I tow with an F-150 with the 5.4L. It does okay, but I'm not super impressed with it. Maybe I just expected too much, but it works too hard for my taste towing the VLX in the hills. We may upgrade in the next year or two to another F-150 or something like the Expedition. i really wish you could get the diesel in one of those vehicles.