Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Can't backup my DHM trailer

I am having trouble backing up.....I can backup about 7-8ft then the trailer emrg brakes lock up. From what I hear it might be the backup solenoid?? It's a 08 DHM trailer. Is it this and is it easy to replace if it's in the trailer tongue?

thx brent

Most boat trailers have surge brakes, not electrical. Should be a lockout feature on the tongue of the trailer for backing.

Just to be sure they're not electrical, what is the trailer's electrical hookup? 4 flat, 5 flat, or 7 way round?

I am having trouble backing up.....I can backup about 7-8ft then the trailer emrg brakes lock up. From what I hear it might be the backup solenoid?? It's a 08 DHM trailer. Is it this and is it easy to replace if it's in the trailer tongue?

thx brent

Had an issue with mine, earlier this year that sounds similar to yours.

The good news is that your problem is most likely a loose or corroded connection. While the trailer is acting up have someone you trust hold the breaks on the tuck while it is in reverse. Play around with the connector and the wires leading to it from the trailer. That is where my problem was. If you hear it clicking (it will be faint) then your solonoid is good, and your connection may need some attention.

You can clean your connector pretty easily I used some rubbing compound on a Qtip to clean inside the female ends and the same stuff on a rag for the male ends, finished with some contact cleaner to get the residue off. Works great.

Good luck I hope this is your problem.

REW

Had the same issue. Mine ended up being my truck. Had a 7 round connection get wet. Caused the fuse in my truck to pop thus not making a circuit to release surge breaks. May want to find your trailer relay fuses in your truck and see if that's the case? Easy way to tell is if your break light don't come on on the trailer when you apply the brakes you're not getting the signal. Good luck

Had the same issue. Mine ended up being my truck. Had a 7 round connection get wet. Caused the fuse in my truck to pop thus not making a circuit to release surge breaks. May want to find your trailer relay fuses in your truck and see if that's the case? Easy way to tell is if your break light don't come on on the trailer when you apply the brakes you're not getting the signal. Good luck

Only time I blew a fuse on the truck I had a short on the trailer, what a disaster that was.......acutally had to spend money to fix that one.

Do the reverse lights on your tow vehicle work? The trailer wire harness uses the reverse lights to activate the solenoid. Also check towards the rear of the tongue, should be a blue wire connected to the solenoid. You can also manually lock them out by wedging something in one of the slots on the side near the hitch so that the actuator does not slide backwards.

Thanks folks. It was the backup solenoid, somehow it went bad after only 3 years. Once we took it out and put the new one in, she backed up like a champ.

thx brent

Thanks folks. It was the backup solenoid, somehow it went bad after only 3 years. Once we took it out and put the new one in, she backed up like a champ.

WOW those things usually dont go bad. Glad you got it fixed