Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Foam Storage Blocks

Jimmypooh

We need to find those foam storage blocks that marinas put boats on for winter storage. Does anyone know where to get them?

We're building a lift to put our boat in our boathouse every time we're not using it. Insead of building a cradle from wood we were hoping to use those foam blocks that I've seen used for winter boat storage. That way we can pull the foam blocks up and use the main area of the boathouse if the boat isn't in there.

Thanks

Jim

I would swing into your local Marina and see if you can get at the shop manager. I'm sure they could point you in the right direction. You never know they might have some extras laying around you could get for cheap.

Good luck

I get mine at the local building supply i used some to float the dock on. 8 inch thick 24 inches wide and 48 long run about 22 bucks a piece. Mind you im in Nova Scotia...

I get mine at the local building supply i used some to float the dock on. 8 inch thick 24 inches wide and 48 long run about 22 bucks a piece. Mind you im in Nova Scotia...

Are you talking about a place like Home Depot?

I should of gave more a an explanation. It is our local hardware material place. There is only 4 of them locally. I looked at home depot, they did not have anything that thickness. You could use Lepage PL foam adhesive and glue 2 or 3 inch thick sheets together, its a little bit of work but it may do to the trick. I am a carpenter so i knew just where to look. They are made by True Foam. They have a bunch of differnt nominal sizes for them. I am not sure if you have any manufacturers near you or not. They are called dock floats.

here is a link to their website.

http://www.truefoam.com/en/home/insulationproducts/forflotation/truefloat.aspx

I should of gave more a an explanation. It is our local hardware material place. There is only 4 of them locally. I looked at home depot, they did not have anything that thickness. You could use Lepage PL foam adhesive and glue 2 or 3 inch thick sheets together, its a little bit of work but it may do to the trick. I am a carpenter so i knew just where to look. They are made by True Foam. They have a bunch of differnt nominal sizes for them. I am not sure if you have any manufacturers near you or not. They are called dock floats.

here is a link to their website.

http://www.truefoam..../truefloat.aspx

That might work, but I wasn't planning on using it as floatation. I'll snap a pic the next time I'm at the marina.

• 8 months later...

That might work, but I wasn't planning on using it as floatation. I'll snap a pic the next time I'm at the marina.

I work in pier installation on the Fox River in Illinois and know exactly what your talking about. These true foam blocks look exactly what your looking for. Foam floats! But it is also great for boat storage. Many of the marinas can get them, I would check a local marina and ask. It is your best bet or buy one from a true foam dealer. I use foam of this size when I create parts with fiberglass. Its much easier than glueing.

Thanks for the replies. I ended up making a semi permanent cradle made of wood. I couldn't handle the cost of the foam blocks. It's amazing how much they are.

I was thinking the same when I first started reading this thread it's crazy what they get for foam.

• 3 years later...