Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Weight versus Dry Weight

Year Round Skiier

I serve on the HOA Board for Riviera Lake in Denver, CO We have restrictions on the size and weight of inboard boats built prior to 2004, that limit boat size to 21 feet and 2,250 pounds "Dry Weight". Boats built after 2004 are allowed if they are AWSA tournament approved, slalom towboats, 21 feet or shorter and 2,800 pounds or less "Dry Weight". No wake enhancement is allowed. We have a new homeowner who has a 1995 Malibu Echelon (closed bow) with origiinal Malibu spec's of 20 feet and "Weight " of 2,350. Is there a difference in "Dry Weight" versus "Weight". In other words did Weight include a full tanlk of gas and other items not included in "Dry Weight".

I would have to ask why you have a weight restriction on boats based on the year model? Weight is weight, what does the year have to do with it?

Boats built after 2004 are allowed if they are AWSA tournament approved, slalom towboats, 21 feet or shorter and 2,800 pounds or less "Dry Weight".

newer boats are allowed to be heaver.

My question is why does it matter if all are AWSA tow boats?

As much as there is a difference in definition for boat weight, there appears to be a significant discrepancy in the allowable boat specifications allowed for the lake. The 95 Echelon is an approved AWSA tournament towboat. Current slalom ski boats average around 2800 lbs, those in the mid '90's average 2400 lbs. The printed material I have seen does not really specify wet or dry weight, but I have not seen any information that lists an Echelon at under 2250 lbs. The Gekko is the only one I have seen down below that. One might take the boat to a set of scales and see what number pops up. The hull on the Echelon is basically the same as a post 2004 Response, SV23. The two changes were only minor revisions.

The reason for the question is to figure out if the Echelon will be approved to be used on this lake, right? The OP has in his profile listed his own boat as a 2000 Response LX. What I posted above is that the listed weight for both boats is the SAME. So if the Response LX is allowed, there can be no reason why the Echelon can't be as they are actually the same boat with a different dash panel. If anything the RLX may weigh a tad more because of the walkover and bow seating.

My personal hope is that the OP is trying to get the Echelon approved, not banned. I'm not saying this is the case, but I've seen situations where HOAs try to keep older boats off the lake even though the rules don't state years of manufacture.

Hopefully it all works out for everyone involved.

The OP has in his profile listed his own boat as a 2000 Response LX... So if the Response LX is allowed, there can be no reason why the Echelon can't be ...

Good catch. :lol: The OP's boat is 100 pounds over the weight limit just as the Echelon is. What a predicament.... :Doh: