Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Illusion G3 Tower on a 2000 Sunsetter?

cooncesean

I'm purchasing a 2000 Sunsetter VLX and was wondering if the Illusion X or Illusion G3 will fit on this boat.

If that is not an option, I'm wondering if anyone has installed any of the Arial Wakeboard Towers. I only ask because their 'Freeride' model looks very similar to the Illusion towers.

Lastly - do you think an Illusion tower or a "newer looking" after-market tower would look funny on an older boat like this?

I appreciate any and all feedback - thx :)

I'm purchasing a 2000 Sunsetter VLX and was wondering if the Illusion X or Illusion G3 will fit on this boat.

If that is not an option, I'm wondering if anyone has installed any of the Arial Wakeboard Towers. I only ask because their 'Freeride' model looks very similar to the Illusion towers.

Lastly - do you think an Illusion tower or a "newer looking" after-market tower would look funny on an older boat like this?

I appreciate any and all feedback - thx :)

G3 can be purchased -- but is VERY expensive. We've seen an illusion on a boat similar to yours -- looks great -- but also expensive and hard to find. There's a page on this site with factory specs for your boat. I think most would recommend a Titan I, II or III. There's a guy selling the III in the buy section now.

We just bought a 2003 23 LSV and we love the look of the Illusion towers. I know a guy that has a new Illusion tower, first generation, he's wanting to sell. The first problem I noticed was that the bases on the Illusion tower were wider than the mounting location on the boat, so I didn't bother following up as that was more than I cared to deal with. We're now looking at other options like Star One (Titan).

Good luck,

Mike

Illusion X should LOOK fine on that boat (which I believe is the same size as the wakesetter VLX and 05-08 vride, which did have the illusion tower as an option). That said there are a couple of reasons not to go illusion x... first, the company who made them is out of business so if you need parts it's going to be up to you to source them, and second it's a really really LOW tower. I'm 5'9" and BARELY fit underneath, and not only is the tower low, but the speakers don't even mount to the highest point like on most towers, so tower speakers are extra extra low and tend to blast occupants (if you are into the tower speaker thing). If I had it to do over again, I'd look for a boat with a titan tower and if I were buying a tower today I'd go with a used titan or new star one tower, if only for the added height.

There are also complaints about the illusion x loosening up over time. That's not a problem I've had yet and I'm not sure that it impacts every illusion x owner. However the first two concerns ARE true for all illusion x owners.

Illusion X should LOOK fine on that boat (which I believe is the same size as the wakesetter VLX and 05-08 vride, which did have the illusion tower as an option). That said there are a couple of reasons not to go illusion x... first, the company who made them is out of business so if you need parts it's going to be up to you to source them, and second it's a really really LOW tower. I'm 5'9" and BARELY fit underneath, and not only is the tower low, but the speakers don't even mount to the highest point like on most towers, so tower speakers are extra extra low and tend to blast occupants (if you are into the tower speaker thing). If I had it to do over again, I'd look for a boat with a titan tower and if I were buying a tower today I'd go with a used titan or new star one tower, if only for the added height.

There are also complaints about the illusion x loosening up over time. That's not a problem I've had yet and I'm not sure that it impacts every illusion x owner. However the first two concerns ARE true for all illusion x owners.

This is what we did with our 01 VLX Wakesetter. I believe the Illusion X tower that I found was intended for a 06 V Ride.

I still endded up tweaking the tower base in approx 1.5" approx to fit center on the the gunnels. Make sure that you find one of the narrower towers. 79" - 80" outside to outside at the base.

PM me if you need any install pointers should you find one.

We love the tower! :rockon:

Thanks so much for the advice guys. Its awesome to find such a wealth of information in one community.

I'll keep you all posted on what I decide to do - thx!

We just bought a 2003 23 LSV and we love the look of the Illusion towers. I know a guy that has a new Illusion tower, first generation, he's wanting to sell. The first problem I noticed was that the bases on the Illusion tower were wider than the mounting location on the boat, so I didn't bother following up as that was more than I cared to deal with. We're now looking at other options like Star One (Titan).

Good luck,

Mike

:thumbup:

Just having looked at that aerial tower...looks neat but a couple observations...it will definitly wiggle on you, as it is very universal vs less.... using 2.25-2.5" super strong bar means nothing if your joints are not as equally as strong... The strength in universal and aftermarket towers is most in the joints/mounts vs thickness of the bars they use. Anything over 1 7/8 is plenty thick.

All 4 points where they attach to the hull get down to small 1/2" or so bolts/connectors at the bases, you can see that plain as day... thats wigggle territory. Also those bases are small...you wanna distribute that load over a large area as possible...thats wiggle and also gel coat stress crack territory...

The connections from the rear main tower section that attaches to the front forward support, approx 1ft up from the gunnels, approx 6" long.. those do look strong... hopefully those are a machined bolted fit...not a tension fit.

Now the top of the tower, has 2 slip bars, that slide over the 2 overhead cross bars, that allow for universal width in and out... those likely cinch down with allen bolts or some other type of tension device, vs a bolted & fitted clamp fit...thats def wiggle territory...

I am not trashing it, just pointing out the weakpoints... for $1500..and I think its made in China.. I would rec you strongly look into the guy on here selling those Titan towers, IMO it'd be a much better fit...

So does this mean that you work for StarOne or are you just a big fan?

Yes thats my #1 girl over here at Star One... If you could work for a company and love the product/industry would'nt you :biggrin:

I like how Arial Towers basically copy every manufacturers tower. Malibu, Mastercraft, and Moomba. Nice.

If I were restrofitting I would go titan. Sure it isn't as "cool" as G3 or Illusion Xs, but a lot more functional, taller, and easy to maintain.,

Aerial is just another tower-in-a-box company.

So far I'm liking the new Samson Blade, which is as close to a G3 tower in looks and operation without being a G3.

Peter

Aerial, Krypt, etc., etc. are all made overseas:

http://www.made-in-china.com/productdirectory.do?subaction=hunt&mode=and&style=b&isOpenCorrection=1&word=wakeboard+tower&comProvince=nolimit&code=0

If you can't get on the list for the Titan 3 leftovers, wait for Star One to make the new series 3. Best looking tower out there now that Moomba has the Illusion and rock solid from what I hear.

Otherwise these guys build to spec including height and mount points, will send you a CAD drawing before building to verify, and were very informative last year when I was talking to them. Due to family circumstances, I could not pull the trigger:

http://dbgconcepts.com/

Also, +1 for Samson for a third great option.

Edited by jk13

Just having looked at that aerial tower...looks neat but a couple observations...it will definitly wiggle on you, as it is very universal vs less.... using 2.25-2.5" super strong bar means nothing if your joints are not as equally as strong... The strength in universal and aftermarket towers is most in the joints/mounts vs thickness of the bars they use. Anything over 1 7/8 is plenty thick.

All 4 points where they attach to the hull get down to small 1/2" or so bolts/connectors at the bases, you can see that plain as day... thats wigggle territory. Also those bases are small...you wanna distribute that load over a large area as possible...thats wiggle and also gel coat stress crack territory...

The connections from the rear main tower section that attaches to the front forward support, approx 1ft up from the gunnels, approx 6" long.. those do look strong... hopefully those are a machined bolted fit...not a tension fit.

Now the top of the tower, has 2 slip bars, that slide over the 2 overhead cross bars, that allow for universal width in and out... those likely cinch down with allen bolts or some other type of tension device, vs a bolted & fitted clamp fit...thats def wiggle territory...

I am not trashing it, just pointing out the weakpoints... for $1500..and I think its made in China.. I would rec you strongly look into the guy on here selling those Titan towers, IMO it'd be a much better fit...

Thanks for the frank response. The more I look at the Arial Tower, the less I like it.... seems like a LOT of metal in the face of passengers in the rear of the boat -- and the last thing I want is a tower that has the possibility of adding more problems than it solves.

• 3 months later...

You can't buy them, if you could find a dealer that was able to get one they cost about $7500.

You actually CAN buy them. My nearest dealer said I couldn't as well, so I was persistent and went with the next closest dealer who knew who to talk to in Tennessee. He was able to get one for me from the Tennessee factory and so I had it put on in March 2011.... G3 tower, bimini, spinner racks, speakers, the whole thing. Looks awesome! But you're right, it wasn't cheap.

You actually CAN buy them. My nearest dealer said I couldn't as well, so I was persistent and went with the next closest dealer who knew who to talk to in Tennessee. He was able to get one for me from the Tennessee factory and so I had it put on in March 2011.... G3 tower, bimini, spinner racks, speakers, the whole thing. Looks awesome! But you're right, it wasn't cheap.

Sounds more like your situation was the exception and not the rule. I got one too but it was due to a warranty issue with my XS. At that time they said they can't be purchased.

Edited by 06vlx
  • 3 months later...

Does anyone know where I can buy a Illusion X Tower for a 2002 Malibu VLX? New or used. It's been a long hunt for one the past few weeks, but I've learned a lot with towers the past few weeks. Unfortunately the G3 tower doesn't fit my boat otherwise I would have bought one. If anyone has leads on one, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance!

Does anyone know where I can buy a Illusion X Tower for a 2002 Malibu VLX? New or used. It's been a long hunt for one the past few weeks, but I've learned a lot with towers the past few weeks. Unfortunately the G3 tower doesn't fit my boat otherwise I would have bought one. If anyone has leads on one, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance!

What makes you want this tower over the Samson Blade? General opinion is the Illusion (like most Metcraft towers) isn't a quality tower, and the Samson is said to be a top notch tower. IMO the Samson looks better too.

What makes you want this tower over the Samson Blade? General opinion is the Illusion (like most Metcraft towers) isn't a quality tower, and the Samson is said to be a top notch tower. IMO the Samson looks better too.

I think the Illusion Tower looks more OEM with the boat. Everybody has their opinions and I'm open to them. I just don't I've seen a tower yet that looks as good and clean with the boat. I think in my opinion that all other aftermarket towers I've seen looks too aftermarket. I've just always like the Illusion tower on Malibu's. I just never realized how difficult it is getting one. I'm still trying to get one.

• 3 weeks later...