Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

May buy a new 2007 iride

amvamax

We are thinking about buying a new 2007 iride for 33K tell me your opinions. We are looking to wake board, water ski, and wake surf. We want to do all of these activities but none of them at an extremely high level.

The Iride or previously called the Sunsetter LX is a good crossover boat. It’s not going to excel at any one thing but decent w/ the exception it’ll suffer for surfing. You can load it up and do surfing, done it, but it’s small very narrow sweet sport and it’s close to the boat as well The slalom wakes are ok, not a course boat imho the wakes are just a bit too hard, recommend the diamond hull for that. For recreational slaloming it’s just fine. Wakeboarding it’ll produce a nice intermediate wake drop the wedge in the rear and add 500lbs up front. Depending on how you’ll progress in anyone paradigm will determine what deficiencies it has. The best advice is to ski/board/surf behind it and see if it’s up to your needs. They are a solid boat based upon and older hull that is proven to perform, but given the market, it’s been discontinued and really not as desirable slalomers want the Response and wakeboarders/surfers want a vdrive I believe the price is too high….

The Iride or previously called the Sunsetter LX is a good crossover boat. It’s not going to excel at any one thing but decent w/ the exception it’ll suffer for surfing. You can load it up and do surfing, done it, but it’s small very narrow sweet sport and it’s close to the boat as well The slalom wakes are ok, not a course boat imho the wakes are just a bit too hard, recommend the diamond hull for that. For recreational slaloming it’s just fine. Wakeboarding it’ll produce a nice intermediate wake drop the wedge in the rear and add 500lbs up front. Depending on how you’ll progress in anyone paradigm will determine what deficiencies it has. The best advice is to ski/board/surf behind it and see if it’s up to your needs. They are a solid boat based upon and older hull that is proven to perform, but given the market, it’s been discontinued and really not as desirable slalomers want the Response and wakeboarders/surfers want a vdrive I believe the price is too high….

I agree on all aspects, Test drove a new 2007 in 2008. Back then the dealer was trying to sell it for $34,000 w/ a titan tower. good general boat...but not really good at any one thing.

I agree on all aspects, Test drove a new 2007 in 2008. Back then the dealer was trying to sell it for $34,000 w/ a titan tower. good general boat...but not really good at any one thing.

At the beginning of the summer we bought an '08 iRide. Previously we owned a '91 supra comp. Same as previous replies, it is ok at everything but not great at one thing. The slalom wake is much harder than the supra and the illusion tower seems to interfere with going short line, not a big deal for us. Once we load the boat up with wedge and ballast it throws a wake perfect for our intermediate level ability. We tried surfing a few days ago. Loaded ballast and wedge then additional 2 500 lbs. fat sacs on either side of motor box. Then we shifted 5 people from regular side to goofy for each rider. The wake didn't produce anything great however we were able to have some fun.

We have put 50 hours on our boat and have no complaints at all.

Hope this is useful

I have a 2006 iRide and I think it does exactly what it's meant to do, be a great crossover boat.

Does it have the best slalom wake? No but it cleans up better than a lot of other boats at 30+. As for the tower, If I was skiing short line I either would have a slalom specific boat or get a titan tower instead of Illusion X (titan sweeps forward so there is no line interference)

Does it have a great wakeboard wake? It's good enough for me and my family. Wedge, center ballast and a couple people in the boat and the wake is plenty big. I have more ballast if I need it for wakeboarding, but I haven't.

Wakesurfing? I have a bow ballast and to side sacks that I place in the corner in addition to the center ballast and wedge (wedge is a must for wakesurfing). With this combination my kids can go ropeless. I almost can, but I'm a pretty big guy. I think if we had 6 of our close friends in the boat I could :biggrin:

I guess in general I would agree that it's a good crossover boat, but I would disagree that it's not really good at any one thing. It may not be the "best" any one thing, but that's pretty much what you get with a crossover. I find it to be a great combination.

With all of that said, I think 33K is a little high. I wish it wasn't the case, but I think it is.

Simply if I wanted a crossover boat you have to give up something. I personally thought the SLXI was a better crossover boat, but I slalom and w/ the diamond hull is slaloms better than the Iride, but the Iride arguably has a better wakeboard wake. Keep in mind this is a great all around boat just depends what of the three sports you'll do most. Honestly any tower will become a problem for slalom, even the titan. But I would certainly want the titan over the illusion...

We are thinking about buying a new 2007 iride for 33K tell me your opinions. We are looking to wake board, water ski, and wake surf. We want to do all of these activities but none of them at an extremely high level.

Don't mean to open up a whole new can of worms but for 5k more you could look at a used VTX. Yes its a reasonable jump in price and you lose the "new" factor, but you'll save on depreciation for the "used" factor and I think a VTX will ahve much better resale. Also, I know the VTX would have a better wakeboard and surf wave as well as layout. The ski wake i'm unsure, but I love it.

Liek I said theres a reasonable difference in price but I think it's well worth the look.

TN - Used VTX for $38k??? I've been looking at them for 6 months and have seen exactly 1 for less than that price. The majority are in the high 40s/low 50s.

I also used to have the iRide and agree completely with the comments. Unless you are an expert at one of the disciplines, I think it is a very good crossover boat for the money.

The original poster states a "new 2007". Are we talking brand new with full warranty?

TN - Used VTX for $38k??? I've been looking at them for 6 months and have seen exactly 1 for less than that price. The majority are in the high 40s/low 50s.

I also used to have the iRide and agree completely with the comments. Unless you are an expert at one of the disciplines, I think it is a very good crossover boat for the money.

The original poster states a "new 2007". Are we talking brand new with full warranty?

YES there would be a full warrenty

I just sold an iRide and I’d say $33K for a new 2007 is a great price, probably fair for gently used one. I like a good deal as much as anyone, but life is short. You can spend the next 2 years looking for a better deal while I’m out riding.

As for performance, I think it’s an awesome boat. Sure the slalom wake is slightly larger than a response, but I really liked skiing behind it and several of my friends have slalom boats. I am ok in a course (skied 22’ off @ 34 behind it). The wakeboarding wake can be really big. I put a sack in the trunk and two 750s on either side of the engine plus locker MLS and wedge. With 3-4 people it has a ton of boot. I could surf ropeless with one of the 750s out. In my opinion, the only thing that you “give up” in this cross over boat is floor space when you add sacks for wakeboarding. The iRide is excellent at everything.

Here’s a video of a buddy riding behind my boat (up ‘till 2:36, after that it’s a 211):

My link