Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Extra ballast in a 2010 VLX wakesetter

GRGKng

Hey guys,

Just got my boat not too long ago, and I'd like to add extra ballast for wakesurfing. I've seen many people adding 750lb-1100 lbs per corner (if I am correct), and am wondering what the downsides and upsides are? MY dealer told me that they recommend no more than 550lbs perside bringing the total amount to 750lbs perside, this way you dont crack the hull or anything like that. They are wanting to charge 1600, to get both bags (fly high) plumbed in. Also they said there is no way for the extra ballast to work progressively with the display when it shows how full the ballast is, is that correct? Any advice would be great, thanks.

Hey guys,

Just got my boat not too long ago, and I'd like to add extra ballast for wakesurfing. I've seen many people adding 750lb-1100 lbs per corner (if I am correct), and am wondering what the downsides and upsides are? MY dealer told me that they recommend no more than 550lbs perside bringing the total amount to 750lbs perside, this way you dont crack the hull or anything like that. They are wanting to charge 1600, to get both bags (fly high) plumbed in. Also they said there is no way for the extra ballast to work progressively with the display when it shows how full the ballast is, is that correct? Any advice would be great, thanks.

Ah, that comment is ludicrous.... The pros have been sackin' out their rides for years well beyond the stock weights, to date none have "cracked" the hull. Put a 750lbs in the rear locker and two 400's or another 750lbs in the main cabin area and about 400lbs up front all ballast full except opposite surf side and wedge bumped up one. I don't believe there is a way to update the Malivue, just add a switch to fill either side instead. I do recommend filling the rear ballast first before filling the 750lbs on top however even if it's not a closed system.

So, would you recommend the Wake makers 750lbs fat sac per side that integrates it into the stock system? or what do you recommend for sacs to get? Also, is this stuff hard to install, for some one that is mechanically... not good. I assume the dealer would install something else other than what they offer?

Talked to my dealer about installing Wake Makers 750lbs Piggy back system, and this was teh response I got, can anyone shed light or confirm this response?

Thanks in advance.

"We have tried this system and it does not work. The weight gets too much and it forces the water past the drain pump before the bags get full."

Hey guys,

You want the weight on one side for surfing. If you have goofy side riders (behind the driver), then you will need to weight down one side or the other, but not both at the same time. If you can get away with only one side, then you only need bag(s) on one side. I've seen boats that put out a very surfable wave on both sides, but I don't think my 23 will do it. With a lot of experimentation you may ge that on a VLX. Otherwise just focus on one side at a time.

Before you pay to have stuff plumbed in, I would play around with the wake and see. You can buy 750s reasonable or look on ebay/craigslist and figure out what you want first, then have it plumbed in. That price doesn't seem that bad, but you don't want to be back for more bags or a different setup if you aren't happy with it.

So, would you recommend the Wake makers 750lbs fat sac per side that integrates it into the stock system? or what do you recommend for sacs to get? Also, is this stuff hard to install, for some one that is mechanically... not good. I assume the dealer would install something else other than what they offer?

Having sacs plumbed in is definitely a lot more convenient. The system isn't that complex to install, but there are some hydrolic and electrical issues to consider. If you are putting ports through the hull in or out, you have to be super careful they are water tight. You don't want to swamp your boat because you did it yourself.

Talked to my dealer about installing Wake Makers 750lbs Piggy back system, and this was teh response I got, can anyone shed light or confirm this response?

Thanks in advance.

"We have tried this system and it does not work. The weight gets too much and it forces the water past the drain pump before the bags get full."

I have heard that some pump setups can have that problem, so they are not off base. Hopefully some of the other ballast experts can chime in on that specific setup.

Thanks for the response.

Quick question I'm regular, I usually surf with the wake behind the opposite side of the driver, is that correct? or should my wake be behind the driver?

Would you recommend I go with the Wake MAkers kit then (http://www.wakemakers.com/piggyback-750-wakesuf-ballast-system.html) or should I just have the dealer plumb in a bag bigger than 550 (the max they'll plumb)?

thanks.

My dealer recommends the wakemakers piggyback system for my 2010 VLX. I spoke to the guy at wakemakers the other day and he said the 750 sacks plumbed in with their piggy back works great on 2010 malibus. I have been running 750 fly high sacks with a separate pump I throw over the side of the boat with great success. You can't quite fill them full though because of the shape of the locker. We get plenty of weight for surfing. I'm going to plumb them in this weekend with the piggy back system and can let you know if it pushed water out past the drain pump.

Thanks let me know! Also, would it be better to get the piggyback system, or to get a 750lb bag and plumb it in with its own independent pump and drain?

Thanks.

I will install 750# piggyback this evening. The instruction says 45 minute installation. Wakemakers said it is cheap solution (only $209 each side)and works very good.

Edited by Woodsprinter

Let me know how the install goes, as I am mechanically horribly. Thanks

Well pulled the trigger, and ordered two of em, let me know how the install and use goes when you get a chance!

Edited by Gl4662

I installed last night. It wasn't bad. The instruction manual with pictures are helpful. I got little confused with where the hoses go due to trick overflow concept. After I called wakermakers, evrything is easy. All you need are the screwdriver (phillip) for access panels and ratchet/socket for hose clamp. that is it.. :yahoo: Hold.. I haven't tested it yet. :innocent: Will try this weekend.. :woot:

some of the problems you will run into is time. if you doing a piggy back system off the stock fill pumps and drain its going to take longr. one hole! and yes running some pumps hooked to the bag or close will cause the bag to self drain from the amount of pressure its putting on the pump, sometime blowing it apart. you can install a valve to prevent this from happening OR just go with a johnson or jabsco pump. addind thru hull pick ups and drains. many dealers dont like to do installs. find someone to do it on the side or who loves to do them for a living. ALSO you really can sac these boats out a bunch! just make sure with all the weight in the boat you still hit top RPMs of 5,000 - 5,200. also watch gas fuel vent if you get to turned side ways or under water you can suck water into tank and that would be bad news. This is an install i did a few weeks ago. based on a 4 pump system filling 3 custom surf sacs.

Are the jabscio pumps better than the stock ones in the malibu? The dealer wants to use the stock pumps for the plumbed unit. I wish there was a custom installer here in mn, but i dont think there is!

Just pulled out my 400lb fat sac, and saw this:

driverssiderearlocker.jpg

is that normal to have a gap there? its not really as flush as the passenger side?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Gl4662

I tested it. It works. The water will enter sac first (1/4 of sac) then overfill into hard tank and when hard tank is filled up fully, the sac will be filled up. It takes time to fill up both. One big con about piggy back is it takes forever to drain the sac! The hard tank will drain fast but it takes time for the bag drain into hard tank. I am wondering if the tsumani pump (manual) will do faster. I also don't like the idea of having sac 1/4 fill up to get just hard tank full only that I want..

Edited by Woodsprinter

Are the jabscio pumps better than the stock ones in the malibu? The dealer wants to use the stock pumps for the plumbed unit. I wish there was a custom installer here in mn, but i dont think there is!

Just pulled out my 400lb fat sac, and saw this:

If you do find anyone in MN that does custom installs let me know, I have an 09 VLX and would love to get everything plumbed in for surfing.

I tested it. It works. The water will enter sac first (1/4 of sac) then overfill into hard tank and when hard tank is filled up fully, the sac will be filled up. It takes time to fill up both. One big con about piggy back is it takes forever to drain the sac! The hard tank will drain fast but it takes time for the bag drain into hard tank. I am wondering if the tsumani pump (manual) will do faster. I also don't like the idea of having sac 1/4 fill up to get just hard tank full only that I want..

My tsunami pump drains my 750# sac pretty quick.

I did the 750# Wake maker Piggy back system in my '05 last week and tried it this past weekend and have the same experience as Woodsprinter. Easy to install, once I understood the concept that the stock pump would fill through the bag and then into the hard tank. Draining does take a long time and I think there is still water in the bag.

If there was some way to angle the bag, so the rear part of the bag was slightly higher, I think it would improve getting all the water out. I'll have to kick some ideas around.

My tsunami pump drains my 750# sac pretty quick.

Which input on sac to drain? bottom or top? How do we prevent the spill when plug the pump? check valve? I checked fatsac.com but can't figure on how to drain without spill the water?

I did the 750# Wake maker Piggy back system in my '05 last week and tried it this past weekend and have the same experience as Woodsprinter. Easy to install, once I understood the concept that the stock pump would fill through the bag and then into the hard tank. Draining does take a long time and I think there is still water in the bag.

If there was some way to angle the bag, so the rear part of the bag was slightly higher, I think it would improve getting all the water out. I'll have to kick some ideas around.

I think The tsumani pump procedure is better because we can move or store sac anywhere. Umm..