Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Lake Sammamish Boat Launch and State Park

Chappy

This is one of the busiest boat launch and state park in the state and it is probably the most run down. For those of you that are as fed up as I am with how run down and dilapidated the boat launch and state park is I called them today and got the Directors contact info. Let's send him as many letters as we can.

Rex Derr-Director of State Parks

PO Box 42650

Olympia, WA 98504

I was told this would go straight to his office.

This is one of the busiest boat launch and state park in the state and it is probably the most run down. For those of you that are as fed up as I am with how run down and dilapidated the boat launch and state park is I called them today and got the Directors contact info. Let's send him as many letters as we can.

Rex Derr-Director of State Parks

PO Box 42650

Olympia, WA 98504

I was told this would go straight to his office.

I'll write him next week.

I'll write him next week.

+1

Maybe i should send him a picture of the scratch my wife put on the side of my boat after running into the underwater docks!

Edited by NewMalibu

+1

Maybe i should send him a picture of the scratch my wife put on the side of my boat after running into the underwater docks!

I feel for you; we almost had that happen two weeks ago which led to a very quite drive home if you know what I mean!

+1

You might open a can of worms. They used to just close Sammamish when the water level was flooded high like that.

I'd be willing to bet he doesn't have a ton of money in his budget.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

You might open a can of worms. They used to just close Sammamish when the water level was flooded high like that.

What is the solution here? Can we figure out what the solution is and maybe it wouldn't cost a ton to implement it. If that's the case, we could start a "Fix The Launch" campaign to raise money specifically for that and provide them a grant to fix.

That bet is a sure thing. The state parks budget is a pittance compared to what our Democratic friends in Olympia squander on stupid stuff. It ticks me off as a tax payer that our parks, which get such high use and are a great public resource are so far down the budget laddder. :rant:

Update: I sent an email to the general info address on the parks website and received the following repsonses within 24 hours, I am actually impressed.

Heath

Yes, unfortunately the docks at Lake Sammamish are in bad shape. The good news is that repairs are underway. We are grateful for an appropriation from the Legislature in the capital budget that will lead to a new dock which will be accessible to people of all abilities. The project must be completed in phases because of the timing of permits, and at this time you should see the following improvements:

* New floats by the end of September.

* New pilings by the end of 2010.

I am sorry that this kind of problem exists for our customer. State Parks has a significant backlog of deferred maintenance and in this current economic climate funding has been decreased. It is unfortunate, but at least for the near-term, we are bound to hear more complaints about failing facilities.

Thank you for your interest in State Parks.

Jim Neill

Region Operations Manager

NW Region

Washington State Parks & Recreation Commission

220 North Walnut Street Burlington, WA 98233

and

Heath

My name is Daniel Farber and I manage the capital design and construction program in the NW Region. Lake Sammamish is in that region. I will make an attempt to answer your question below, but please feel free to call me up if there is additional information you need. A phone call would probably give you a fuller understanding of the constraints we are under.

The reason that we are not installing the floats this summer is that the new floats are being fabricated now and are not going to be completed for installation for another month or so. This project has taken MANY years to get funding, develop a design and get permits. For literally years (prior to my tenure), there was a cycle of design and redesign after changing permitting requirements. Finally, when we got permits, we had insufficient funds to actually construct the full project. So we decided a few months ago - with approval by permitting agencies - that we would move forward with the in-water work and ask for funds in the 2011-13 biennium to complete upland construction.

We are currently constructing the floats and gangways, and then intend to go out to bids for installation of the piles in the fall. If we get the floats and gangways constructed quick enough, it is still possible for them to be installed during this summer's use season, but we can't make guarantees on that timing.

It's incredibly frustrating how long this project has taken, and its need is great. I hope this gives you a sense of where we are at.

Thanks for your interest,

Daniel B. Farber

Parks Development Region Manager

Northwest Region

Washington State Parks and Recreation Commission

So it looks like there may be some light at the end of the tunnel :thumbup::clap::yahoo::rockon:

Edited by Chappy

Chappy these same excusses were made 3 years ago when it came under review after not being completed in 07! The lovely we had to change design do to regs. changing during the permit process is a joke. The regulations you are held to are the ones that are in place the day you submit your permit. This holds true to any and all permits.

I would love to see new docks and the ramps repaired floating docks would be nice but P&R have been sayin samm. will get done for over 3 years now. Personaly I say privatize it and it will get done a lot faster.

What is the solution here? Can we figure out what the solution is and maybe it wouldn't cost a ton to implement it. If that's the case, we could start a "Fix The Launch" campaign to raise money specifically for that and provide them a grant to fix.

Boy Scouts who are working on their Eagle Scout projects are always looking for something different to do. My son is working on his this summer and plans on building fish habitats for one of our local lakes. Call all your local (and even not so local) Scout troops and explain what you want done. Removing a sunk dock would be a great project as it would cost them very little and the boys would be in the water destroying something...they would have a ball.

As for building a new dock or even concrete work (don't know what all needs to be done) the Scout heading the project is responsible for getting all labor and raising the money to do it. That's not to say they would take any fund raising help but the boy are responsible for everything. You would get the work completed and the Scouts would be searving their community.

Removing a sunk dock would be a great project as it would cost them very little and the boys would be in the water destroying something...they would have a ball.

Their not sunk. Their fixed. The lake is high..... very high.

Congrats on the response. Sounds like their going to get it done at some point. Hopefully sooner than later.

BTW, we have floating docks on the state park ramps here. The big difference being that the lake freezes in the winter so they have to be removeable. I hope you guys get better ones than these though. You can only park on one side of them as the pilings & steel hoops holding the dock in place restrict one side of the dock.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

I have to say the some of the nicest public docks I have seen are on the Columbia, in lake Roosevelt. Feds. They didn't need to actually "have" the money, they just decided to spend the money. And it shows.

I have to say the some of the nicest public docks I have seen are on the Columbia, in lake Roosevelt. Feds. They didn't need to actually "have" the money, they just decided to spend the money. And it shows.

Weird, did the Obama administration put those it :) .

Edited by 06vlx

Weird, did the Obama administration put those it :) .

I would not be surprised except I think they have been there longer than he has been "running" things.

Nice Chappy for taking initiative to write some letters, we use to "rent" the docks for demo days and back in 2007 we were told floating docks were going to get installed that year so (back when they raised the launch fee from $3 to $5 then $7 to "cover" the new dock upgrades/expenses.

A lot of promises but no follow thru.

Besides the docks in bad shape, so are the ramps. There is one ramp where there is a large gap in between the concrete slabs and I've had a few customers get their fender crunched when they pull the boat out.

I hope they do something soon but I won't be surprised if they don't.

Thanks again for sharing that info, I will drop a letter from Bake's too.

-Paul

Nice Chappy for taking initiative to write some letters, we use to "rent" the docks for demo days and back in 2007 we were told floating docks were going to get installed that year so (back when they raised the launch fee from $3 to $5 then $7 to "cover" the new dock upgrades/expenses.

A lot of promises but no follow thru.

Besides the docks in bad shape, so are the ramps. There is one ramp where there is a large gap in between the concrete slabs and I've had a few customers get their fender crunched when they pull the boat out.

I hope they do something soon but I won't be surprised if they don't.

Thanks again for sharing that info, I will drop a letter from Bake's too.

-Paul

Hey Paul, do you remember the ramp? If you go from launchers left to right, which # is it? I haven't hit it yet and would like to avoid it. Thanks!

Edited by MalibuTime