Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Staples for trailer bunk carpet

I'm not sure if my trailer bunks are pressure treated or not because I haven't taken the old carpet off yet. I was looking at staples and the Stainless staples say not for marine use and the Monel staples say not for use in pressure treated wood. So should I use stainless staples if my bunks are pressure treated?

What about the lag bolts? If its PT wood should I not use Stainless lag bolts. The ones that on the trailer look galvanized to me and the theads are rusting pretty badly and will need to be replaced.

TIA

Edited by shade

i've used stainless staples with good luck.

i would recommend using stainless THROUGH bolts/nuts/lock washers, not lag bolts.

imho there is very little in the marine world that should use lag bolts.

countersink the heads so that they won't stick up too high.

I just re-did mine a couple weeks back. I have PT bunks (which I also replaced), along w/ galvanized lags (although thru-bolting makes more sense).

I used the SS staples. Others here reported no problem w/ using them. I did see the "not for marine use" warning, but speculate that this is primarily in regards to salt water applications (not a concern of mine). The Monel ones are about twice the price of SS and I could not find them locally. I was not aware that Monel is not compatible w/ PT.

Edited by davemac

i've used stainless staples with good luck.

i would recommend using stainless THROUGH bolts/nuts/lock washers, not lag bolts.

imho there is very little in the marine world that should use lag bolts.

countersink the heads so that they won't stick up too high.

Yeh, I was thinking about using SS carriage bolts to through bolt them. The lag bolts start to back out over time.

I'm planning to do this project on the weekend, but I was thinking of using the short galvanized roofing nails to tack the carpet onto the new boards. Anyone see an issue with this?

I'm planning to do this project on the weekend, but I was thinking of using the short galvanized roofing nails to tack the carpet onto the new boards. Anyone see an issue with this?

...only if you don't care about the people traveling behind you, if and when they fall out. I decided against it because MacLeod's Law (or Murphy's Law as most know it) dictates that the first nail that fell out would bounce underneath my own trailer tire and cause a blowout.

Just use staples like everybody else.

Good point. I was thinking that because I don't have a staple gun or air gun, and a big bag of nails already. Didn't think about them falling out, guess I'll go buy a staple gun. Thanks

• 6 years later...

Are 3/8" long staples long enough? I'm having trouble finding anything longer in SS. My boat will be in the water for a few more days. My carpet isn't in desperate need of replacement but I figured it would be a good project on this vacation. Should have planned the details better. I figured to major box stores would have a larger selection. :Frustrated:

9 hours ago, jrvs23 said:

Are 3/8" long staples long enough? I'm having trouble finding anything longer in SS. My boat will be in the water for a few more days. My carpet isn't in desperate need of replacement but I figured it would be a good project on this vacation. Should have planned the details better. I figured to major box stores would have a larger selection. :Frustrated:

You should be fine with that as long as the carpet isn't doubled over and you have a good stapler that really sets them.