Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Platform Refinishing

Hey again, Im looking into refinishing my swim platform this winter. The wood has a few small chips. I was planning on sanding it to smooth it out before doing anything else to it, but wanted to check with you guys/girls first. After smoothing it out, what should I do next? Stain it? Weather protectant? Waterproofer? I have no idea how to do it right. Any info would help!

Search the internet for a product called teak guard. I alot of people swear by that product.

I do. However, if sanding, make sure not to sand it totlly smooth. You want a little bit of texture to it so it is not slippery when wet.

I use a product called Starbrite Tropical Teak Sealer. I refinished my platform with the following steps and below are the results. The first pic is the day after the last coat dried. The pic behind the boat is two seasons later with just a re-coat between seasons (no more cleaning or sanding). This stuff really lasts. Thumbup.gif

1. Cleaned deck with two part teak cleaner called TE-KA. This product uses the first part to open the pores in the wood to release dirt (scrub and rinse). The second part closes the pores in the wood. It worked like a champ as my deck was very dirty (black stains) before I started.

2. Sanded clean platform down with a DA electric sander until I was happy - finished with 400 grit hand sand to get all the slots.

3. Applied 3 coats of the Starbrite Tropical Teak Sealer (classic color)

4. After the last coat the deck feels a bit waxy. This is due to excess sealer on top of the deck (I probably put it on a little heavy with my sponge brush). Just wipe the deck down with a clean rag and the excess comes right off and leaves a beautiful color behind (see below).

Happy refinishing. Nothing looks as good as freshly refinished teak! Rockon.gif

Teak3.jpg

DSC03143.jpg

Use your electric sander and go to town on it. Then use teak oil only. Don't kid yourself though, it is a lot of work to keep it nice.

Lots of work but worth it. Mine gets a recoat about mid summer and a rework during the off season, every off season. Keep it covered to help prolong the life of the finish, the sun will do more damage than anything else.

Lots of work but worth it. Mine gets a recoat about mid summer and a rework during the off season, every off season. Keep it covered to help prolong the life of the finish, the sun will do more damage than anything else.

Same here. Mine sits on a covered lift, but gets sun for the last 4 hours of each day. When I bought the boat the teak was that grey cruddy look. I sanded it 'till it looked new. Then 3 coats of teak oil, letting it dry 24 hours between coats. Then, launched the boat in June, and every 3 weeks I put a new coat of teak oil on it. Held up thru the summer very well. It still looks nice, but I'll probably sand it down again this winter, this time shouldn't take nearly as much work.

Has anyone used the Starbrite Teak Care Kit? It includes a cleaner, brightener, and oil. I am thinking of trying it this weekend.

If so, how where the results?

Has anyone used the Starbrite Teak Care Kit? It includes a cleaner, brightener, and oil. I am thinking of trying it this weekend.

You can tell us. And thanks.

Just sand off the old and grey and aply the oil. got to get it smooth