Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Stainless Steel Propeller

SCCA_Racer07

From going to the Malibu dealership today I need a new prop. I have a 1995 Echelon LX with the 265hp Mercruiser. I really want a 3-blade stainless steel prop but am open to one that is not stainless for a lot less money. I really just do wakeboarding, kneeboarding, rarley ski, and tubing. Really don't want to sacrafice any top speed though if any. Thanks

The three blade CNC'd nibral props are the cats meow. I wouldn't think to put a stainless prop on my boat.

I'd call ACME or OJ and hear their recommendations for your application. I don't see a nibral versus a stainless being a "lot less" in terms of cost though.

-Chris

From going to the Malibu dealership today I need a new prop. I have a 1995 Echelon LX with the 265hp Mercruiser. I really want a 3-blade stainless steel prop but am open to one that is not stainless for a lot less money. I really just do wakeboarding, kneeboarding, rarley ski, and tubing. Really don't want to sacrafice any top speed though if any. Thanks

Dunno why you would need Top speed for your list of water type sports you enjoy...

Anyway. I recommend OJ or Acme. Stainless is not necessary and the price difference is a no brainer.

I replaced my CVP Stainless 13x13 with an Acme 449 which is 13x12.625. It actually runs smoother than my stainless. The stainless gives my boat more of a stiff feeling.

LInk > http://www.acmemarine.com/prop-list_ski-boat.php

Edited by areamike

I just went from a CVP Stainless 13x13 to an OJ suggested 13 X 11.5 LC 1 1/8" XMP 3-blade, part #330.

I could not be more pleased. Lost maybe 1mph on the top end, maybe. Gained much smoother and stronger acceleration. Kind of like having the best of both worlds...

You will be happy with the right CNC'd nibral prop.

agree 100% with areamike. pulled the cvp 13x13 off in favor of an acme 515 13x12.

torque response on low end and smoothness is night and day difference. also consider

if you hit something with a stainless prop it will mostly likely bend the shaft, nibral

is more forgiving on the shaft. there was also a post recently about the cvp stainless

props losing blades. just something to think about.

Edited by sgt1970-442

I swapped out a stainless CVP to a 3 blade Acme. Works quite well. Lots of forum busting on the stainless CVP's but they are actually a very good prop. There is the issue of losing a blade on some, it seems like the weld at the root of the blades can be suspect. I searched long and hard for a stainless replacement for the CVP to no avail. A properly tuned CVP performs as good as any of the other props, but the CNC'd ones do tend to run smoother due to the consistency of the unit's themselves. You might find a used CVP out there if you look around.

I swapped out a stainless CVP to a 3 blade Acme. Works quite well. Lots of forum busting on the stainless CVP's but they are actually a very good prop. There is the issue of losing a blade on some, it seems like the weld at the root of the blades can be suspect. I searched long and hard for a stainless replacement for the CVP to no avail. A properly tuned CVP performs as good as any of the other props, but the CNC'd ones do tend to run smoother due to the consistency of the unit's themselves. You might find a used CVP out there if you look around.

In most all the instances I have seen of a CVP Stainless prop losing a blade, I would venture to guess the boat owner had some previous problem that caused the eventual failure. i.e. hit something strong enough to cause stress but no real damage. Do a search here and there is a topic where someone posted a pic of a couple Nibrel/CNC'd props that did the same thing.

Prop FAQ's

Here is a link to a prop FAQ page. Some good info.

Has a good tip on installing a prop first without the key, marking the location, and then reinstalling with the key as a way to be sure the prop is seated properly and all the way forward on the shaft.

Maybe something else for that "how to" guide?

Edited by Soon2BV

I have a very good used CVP 13x13 stainless prop that came with my Response when I bought it. I ran a 13x13 1/2 4 blade all summer and never used the 3 blade. I don't plan on using it, so if you would like to try one, I would sell it for $200.US including insured postage.

Thanks

Gary

Edited by Hydrogasm

Sent an e-mail requesting some pics..

I just got the old prop and it looks like I have a Mr. Minus by DYME 13x13L 1 1/8" Then there is a number 794 posted after the 13x13L.

I have a very good used CVP 13x13 stainless prop that came with my Response when I bought it. I ran a 13x13 1/2 4 blade all summer and never used the 3 blade. I don't plan on using it, so if you would like to try one, I would sell it for $200.US including insured postage. E-mail me at .. if you would like to see some photos.

Thanks

Gary

you might want to edit and remove your email address to avoid spammers ---

Initially, my boat came with a Dymex and when I upped the power level of my boat, the Dymex cavitated so I installed a CVP. A noticable performance improvement and likely the reason Malibu went to the CVP when the Vortec's came out and added 50hp or so. Another Echelon that was standard issue did not see the same performance gain when he tried the CVP on his boat. I would agree with Mike that when a prop loses a blade, there probably was an impact at some point in it's life. I accumulated over 600 hours on a CVP w/o any trouble. You could always have it magnafluxed to be certain. I also got to the cavitation threshold with the CVP but some massaging did move the limit up a bit.

Just got my e-mail reply from ACME and they said my boat needs an ACME 515. Here is the e-mail:

"Thank you for your inquiry.

My recommendation is an Acme part #515.

The Acme 515 is a 13 x 12, 3-Blade, but it has a lot more blade area than your current prop does... So it is a proper fit and will run the right RPMs for your engine, while maximizing your hole shot, acceleration and speed.

You won't give up speed. You should certainly gain performance across the spectrum. There is no better prop on the market for your boat. And the 515 should also offer much smoother performance than your current prop."

I have tried that prop on my boat and it works very well. As noted, you will notice that the CNC's Nibral props are smoother than the hammer formed SS props. The extra blade area does help with the holeshot. The 515 will give you slightly more than a 1mph:100rpm ratio (in other words, 34 mph was 3000 rpm with only the driver and no skier compared to 3200 rpm with the CVP 13x13M). The other element of the props is the prop wash, each prop offers a slightly different prop wash, many people like the OJ XMP for that. I find the Acme slightly softer than the CVP. Another thing to consider is if you use a slalom course a lot with speed control, the prop will affect the pull characteristics.