Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Trailer Tongue Cracked

Laycon Row

I wouldn't lose sleep over the $150, especially since they took care of spare mount. At least it is over and done w/, and you're roadworthy again.

Plus1.gif That's not too bad at all.

Plus1.gif As long as they ground the bad weld out first and did a prep of the welding surface.

$150 was just for the tongue, I'm looking at $300 for everything.

I will see tomorrow what kind of job they did.

For that price I hope you can't even tell that welded it!!!!!!!!

A good fab shop is way over $75/hour, and I doubt anyone could do a good job of prep, weld and finish in less than 2 hours. Sounds like a very fair price.

Peter

A good fab shop is way over $75/hour, and I doubt anyone could do a good job of prep, weld and finish in less than 2 hours. Sounds like a very fair price.

Peter

Our pipeline welders could do the prep and weld in less than 30 minutes (not including setup time, maybe an extra 15 minutes) but I think the finish and paint is where the time is spent. All-in-all $150 isn't that bad.

For that price I hope you can't even tell that welded it!!!!!!!!

I agree that this isn't too bad a price to pay to have it fixed. And the fact that the hinge was welded on the trailer tongue by the original manufacturer in the first place (granted, it wasn't a very good job) ensures that you will be able to tell it was welded. But if they grind off the old welds, lay down a nice row of quarters, and then paint it right, it should look good.

Update:

In the interest of getting this fixed as quickly as possible, I took the trailer to a local fabrication and paint shop. I towed it but very carefully and took back roads. At the same time, I sent e-mail to Boatmate and asked about warranty coverage. They agreed to replace the pivot hinge assembly under warranty. I contacted the shop but they had already begun the repairs. I asked Boatmate if they will cover the shop labor instead. They said that the pivot tongue is made by a vendor and they had to get approval from them for the warranty claim.

Bottom line, the repair has been made but I don't know if Boatmate is going to do anything warranty-wise. In retrospect, I should have contacted Boatmate first but I really didn't think about replacing the assembly as a possibility.

Sorry man but we tried to tell you.

I know. I should have consulted The Bu Crew first.

Shop is charging $150 for the tongue, weld and paint.

Not a loss, I had an under-mounted spare tire carrier that needed to be welded on anyway. They are doing both at the same time.

I still think the vender should make good on this. If I had been the original purchaser there would never have been a warranty question. IMHO, this is clearly a factory defect and they should be glad it was fixed before an accident occurred.

our welders cost our company 38.00 a hour, pay, bene's, workers comp, med,and LIABILITY INSURANCE, which is based heavily on

payroll,,,,,,the more the worker earns, the more liability we pay, the price you were quoted sounds very fair

so, a company, that put out a weld that broke, should be very interested in seeing the pics or actual tongue, especially since

it has a i.d. number,,,they should be able to figure out who welded that unit,,,i would also be concerned with any other

trailers/tongues welded prior to and after this unit was welded,,,maybe even a recall or review of q.c. procedures or testing

frequency

its a very serious event, someone, including yourself, could have been killed in a trailering accident

Update:

In the interest of getting this fixed as quickly as possible, I took the trailer to a local fabrication and paint shop. I towed it but very carefully and took back roads. At the same time, I sent e-mail to Boatmate and asked about warranty coverage. They agreed to replace the pivot hinge assembly under warranty. I contacted the shop but they had already begun the repairs. I asked Boatmate if they will cover the shop labor instead. They said that the pivot tongue is made by a vendor and they had to get approval from them for the warranty claim.

Bottom line, the repair has been made but I don't know if Boatmate is going to do anything warranty-wise. In retrospect, I should have contacted Boatmate first but I really didn't think about replacing the assembly as a possibility.

Not a loss, I had an under-mounted spare tire carrier that needed to be welded on anyway. They are doing both at the same time.

I still think the vender should make good on this. If I had been the original purchaser there would never have been a warranty question. IMHO, this is clearly a factory defect and they should be glad it was fixed before an accident occurred.

our welders cost our company 38.00 a hour, pay, bene's, workers comp, med,and LIABILITY INSURANCE, which is based heavily on

payroll,,,,,,the more the worker earns, the more liability we pay, the price you were quoted sounds very fair

so, a company, that put out a weld that broke, should be very interested in seeing the pics or actual tongue, especially since

it has a i.d. number,,,they should be able to figure out who welded that unit,,,i would also be concerned with any other

trailers/tongues welded prior to and after this unit was welded,,,maybe even a recall or review of q.c. procedures or testing

frequency

its a very serious event, someone, including yourself, could have been killed in a trailering accident

That is rediculously low. Your welders must be paid very low as well. That is the lowest burden rate I've ever heard of.

Update:

frequency

That is rediculously low. Your welders must be paid very low as well. That is the lowest burden rate I've ever heard of.

That is very low, our welders weld on the pipelines that stretch across the country. Very stringent procedures and testing is involved so they are paid well and their costs on us are alot higher. It all depends on what the level of risk is. I wonder if they xray their welds.

Update:

frequency

That is very low, our welders weld on the pipelines that stretch across the country. Very stringent procedures and testing is involved so they are paid well and their costs on us are alot higher. It all depends on what the level of risk is. I wonder if they xray their welds.

i'm sure the trailer co doesnt x-ray the welds, it would be cost prohibitive,,, we only x-ray fabrications requested/required units,

i would think they would bend-to-break test at least on occasion, based on their welding procedures/q.c. documentation, if they have any

outdoor pipeline welders are certainly costing/earning more than my warm and cozy shop welders.........