Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Anyone use Sikkens Cetol Marine Wood Finish??

bretski75

I know there has been a lot of talk about teak oils, Teak Guard, etc. I have been using Amazon's for a while and really like the color, even though it does need to be done several times a year.

I got a recommendation to use Sikkens Cetol Marine Satin Wood Finish from a guy who does really nice boat detailing and light gel repair. Has anyone here used it?

one of the crew uses sikkens on his mc.

holds up really well. really well.

the only negative i see is that it is slightly on the slippery side.

if i had kids over the transom i might worry more about the little ones getting hurt.

the old guys won't heal as fast but if they slip it's their own fault.

he started out with the cetol marine and moved to the same stuff that is labeled as 'light'.

i'm sure he told me but i don't recall why he switched from the regular to the light variety.

I sanded and used teak brightener, then I put on three coats of cetol marine. I sanded lightly between coats. Refinish with one or two coats alternately each year. I have to tell my teak oil loving 'Bu friends to stop ogling my awesome swim platform. Tongue.gif

I only did the top and edges (sides). I was told to let it breathe through the bottom. I initially thought that was a bad idea but took the advice and I haven't had any problems with the finish whatsoever.

I used the Cetol Marine teak stain last winter on the whole deck (cleaned and sanded, 3 coats) and it held up great all season. Just lightly sanded and put two maintenance coats on the top and sides a few weeks ago and it looks great. Agree that is it slightly slippery, but it does last.

• 3 years later...

We have been restoring a classic John Alden 45' ketch. www.eclipsesailing.gr We were recommended Sikkens by various people. I'd used it many years ago on ordinary exterior timber and was pleased with the results although the colour marred the beauty of the wood. When we came to use it on our boat, we were supplied with ordinary Sikkens Cetol, not Sikkens Marine. When we queried this we were told that Sikkens Marine had been discontinued but that Sikkens Cetol was now approved for marine use. This turns out to have been bad advice. See the pics of what happened in my blog http://www.eclipsesailing.gr/2013/01/sikkens-timber-treatment-warning/ The sad thing is not the money we've wasted on the timber treatment but the hours of sanding that are now going to have to be re-done.