Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

LETS SEE YOUR RIGS!

josh_tn

• 2 weeks later...
28 minutes ago, DarkSide said:

Picked up a 2017 Ram 3500 Limited today.   I am thinking the Ram box will be perfect for boat bling and microfiber towels.

20170326_155005_zpswcoxespj.jpg

20170326_154956_zpsvxrm3wcz.jpg

20170326_155104_zpsatk2wd3w.jpg

That is a great looking truck. Congrats. My only hangup with the 2017s is the new grill. I like the old cross hair Ram grills. The new ones are cool but I think I'm still partial to the 2016 and older grills.

Just now, CharlieBeaU said:

That is a great looking truck. Congrats. My only hangup with the 2017s is the new grill. I like the old cross hair Ram grills. The new ones are cool but I think I'm still partial to the 2016 and older grills.

I am not crazy about the new grill either.   I do like the grill better than the giant RAM logo on the tailgate though.   Love the rest of the truck though. 

• Like 1
Just now, DarkSide said:

I am not crazy about the new grill either.   I do like the grill better than the giant RAM logo on the tailgate though.   Love the rest of the truck though. 

It is a really good looking truck and that big "RAM" on the back isn't anything a little fishing line, a heat gun and a little adhesive remover can't fix.

Congrats again. That is a great truck.

• Like 2
32 minutes ago, CharlieBeaU said:

It is a really good looking truck and that big "RAM" on the back isn't anything a little fishing line, a heat gun and a little adhesive remover can't fix.

Congrats again. That is a great truck.

i bought the same truck last year....... I like the grill...... the big RAM on the back..... could go either way.    If you are willing to share for comparison on US vs. Canadian MSRP... my sticker price was $92,500.

ahopkins22LSV

@DarkSide how much of the bed space does the Ram Box eat up? I love the concept but not sure if I would be OK with the loss of bed space. I love how Ram put small in floor storage in the rear seat area though!

Also, no more dully?

2 hours ago, ahopkinsTXi said:

@DarkSide how much of the bed space does the Ram Box eat up? I love the concept but not sure if I would be OK with the loss of bed space. I love how Ram put small in floor storage in the rear seat area though!

Also, no more dully?

The ram box eats up only the rounded space between wheel well and cab/tailgate.  It creates a true rectangle.  Still wide enough four plywood etc.  

I liked the dually a lot when towing,  but parking sucked, our didn't fit anywhere.  Including my garage.   This one will.   Plus you can't have RAM box and dually.   I really wanted Ram box.

@DarkSide, nice new ride!  New boat & new truck, you are living right!

So, did you get the Aisin and HO engine?  I'd be interested to hear the differences if you did.

Like you, I love my DRW for towing.  So stabile it is silly.  Night and day vs the way my Yukon XL tows the Bu.  But I would not want it if it was also a DD.

8 hours ago, G-Mack said:

i bought the same truck last year....... I like the grill...... the big RAM on the back..... could go either way.    If you are willing to share for comparison on US vs. Canadian MSRP... my sticker price was $92,500.

My sticker was 75,760.

I only ordered 3 options on the limited.

Diesel, sunroof and tonneau cover. 

Just now, RyanB said:

@DarkSide, nice new ride!  New boat & new truck, you are living right!

So, did you get the Aisin and HO engine?  I'd be interested to hear the differences if you did.

Like you, I love my DRW for towing.  So stabile it is silly.  Night and day vs the way my Yukon XL tows the Bu.  But I would not want it if it was also a DD.

I had Aisin in the 2014 dually, this one does not.  Heaviest thing I pull is my boat,  so I will be ok.   I just picked it up so I have not pulled with it.  Freeway RPM is down though due to gear ratio.  3.73 vs. 4.11

The diesel trucks hold value so well,  trading every couple years makes sense.   My 14 had 53,000 miles was out of warranty and trade value was 8k less than I paid for it in 2014.   So 3 years of use,  53,000 miles for 8k.  If I do that well again in 2020, I will be a happy guy.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, DarkSide said:

I had Aisin in the 2014 dually, this one does not.  Heaviest thing I pull is my boat,  so I will be ok.   I just picked it up so I have not pulled with it.  Freeway RPM is down though due to gear ratio.  3.73 vs. 4.11

The diesel trucks hold value so well,  trading every couple years makes sense.   My 14 had 53,000 miles was out of warranty and trade value was 8k less than I paid for it in 2014.   So 3 years of use,  53,000 miles for 8k.  If I do that well again in 2020, I will be a happy guy.

The diesel trucks do hold their value very well.  But, just like boats, the new ones are going up in price.  I would love to trade into a 2017, but my 2012 will be paid for in a couple months.  I am going to enjoy not having a payment for a while.  

Rumors are that 2019 Cummins will introduce some new technology that gets rid of DEF, improves MPG, and will increase HP and TQ by more than 10%.  Sounds too good to be true.  But if it happens, and proves reliable, 2020 will probably be my next new truck.

On 3/26/2017 at 11:26 PM, DarkSide said:

Picked up a 2017 Ram 3500 Limited today.   I am thinking the Ram box will be perfect for boat bling and microfiber towels.

20170326_155005_zpswcoxespj.jpg

20170326_154956_zpsvxrm3wcz.jpg

20170326_155104_zpsatk2wd3w.jpg

The ultimate 1 Upper!! Well done sir

• Like 2

@Afun. She isn't going to win any races, and will not have the sweet, sweet sound of like your 454, but she will do nicely.  

Taking the first weekend tow on Sunday, we will see how she does going up/down hill's in central AZ, pulling the 257.  It should be  fine,  I have heard the 257 is 11,000 on the trailer.   So we'll within rating, but it will be a lot different than the dually.  Dually had 4:11 gears and HO Cummins, this one is 3:42 and standard Cummins.  The dually had endless power, accelerated uphill towing the MXZ without a problem.  I am a little nervous losing 25HP/100Ftlb TQ, taller gears,  and heavier boat.....i know it will do it, but not sure how WELL it will do it.

Sweet truck @DarkSide , but man I'd kill for your red one!

Question on the ram boxes, can you put a cap on the bed still? I think they are great use of space and wish Ford offered them but I have to have a cap on my bed so wasn't sure if they'd work together. 

@That Guy unfortunately no topper!  You can do a tonneau, the ram boxes tilt up,  so a topper would make them unusable.  Bed space is just like old step side trucks.  You lose the odd space at wheel wells.  The box does have a movable divider and tie downs.   So still very useable. 

8 hours ago, DarkSide said:

@Afun. She isn't going to win any races, and will not have the sweet, sweet sound of like your 454, but she will do nicely.  

Taking the first weekend tow on Sunday, we will see how she does going up/down hill's in central AZ, pulling the 257.  It should be  fine,  I have heard the 257 is 11,000 on the trailer.   So we'll within rating, but it will be a lot different than the dually.  Dually had 4:11 gears and HO Cummins, this one is 3:42 and standard Cummins.  The dually had endless power, accelerated uphill towing the MXZ without a problem.  I am a little nervous losing 25HP/100Ftlb TQ, taller gears,  and heavier boat.....i know it will do it, but not sure how WELL it will do it.

Are you towing to Knoxville 

Congrats! Living right!! The boat and truck are both beastly! Limited is the way to go! I got used to the Grill but I can't get over the two foot chrome RAM logo! It's pinned in and I'm planning on painting it. 

Looking forward to hearing how it performs. 

10 hours ago, Afun said:

Are you towing to Knoxville 

That is the plan, we have a cabin/slip reserved at Hickory Star 7/1-7/8.  Still trying to plan the rest of the trip.   Brightside  (My better half) is a Sped Teacher so she is off All of June and half of July.  I can take time a couple weeks as well so a week on Norris, plus ???? 

This is my family's FAVORITE trip,  even more than Disney, etc.

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, DarkSide said:

That is the plan, we have a cabin/slip reserved at Hickory Star 7/1-7/8.  Still trying to plan the rest of the trip.   Brightside  (My better half) is a Sped Teacher so she is off All of June and half of July.  I can take time a couple weeks as well so a week on Norris, plus ???? 

This is my family's FAVORITE trip,  even more than Disney, etc.

That's awesome. I'll actually be down there that week as well with the whole family, we've rented a floating house at Whitman Hollow. I'd love to meet up and check out the epic wave that thing puts out! And agreed on the lake vacations being #1 in our book as well. 

• Like 3
2 hours ago, That Guy said:

That's awesome. I'll actually be down there that week as well with the whole family, we've rented a floating house at Whitman Hollow. I'd love to meet up and check out the epic wave that thing puts out! And agreed on the lake vacations being #1 in our book as well. 

Are you staying at captains morgan?  We really like Whitman Hollow!