Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Fuel Filter Question

I went to check out what kind of fuel filters my 00 Sportster with the 310 carb had today and was a little confused. I was under the impression there should be an inline before the fuel pump and a spin on after the fuel pump. I understood the spin on to be an oil filter like canister fuel/water separator. I followed the fuel line from where it comes under the back seat and it went straight to the canister fuel/water separator. (A sierra 18-7845). This was mounted on the starboard inner bilge wall. The fuel line continued vertically to the fuel pump and then straight to the carb. Does this sound normal? The boat was repowered last summer and I just bought it last month. Is the fuel water separator before the pump enough? Also, is the Sierra filter good? It's the bigger one. Also, i didn't see any pressure release valve anywhere along the fuel line. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Also, anyone know any bu crew members in the perdido key/ gulf shores area of florida/alabama?

Never seen the Sportster but assuming similarities to 2000 Response, If there is a fuel shut off valve near tank, there might also be an inline filter just after the valve. If there is a vent/grille @ center rear of boat, remove and you should be able to see fuel line, shutoff and filter, if there. Based on all the posts questioning why Malibu does not install fuel/water seperators, I'd think that was an add on, although according to Clymer manual, Indmar did use combination fuel pump with fuel filter/water seperator mounted on the starboard side of the engine. Also, no fuel pressure relief on carbed models.

+1 your fuel system is perfectly fine, spin on before the pump on the carby.

Sierra is a perfectly fine filter, I always ended up with merc filters on mine because they were easier to find.

-Chris

• 10 months later...

which Sierra spin on filters can we use on these motors?

I see all of these 21 micron filters available:

18-7844

18-7845

18-7846

Sierra filters work just fine, can be found at many auto parts stores or any marine store. You can research data on the Sierra website. There is probably also a fuel filter at the inlet to the carb. It is usually a plastic or metal screen type filter, remove and clean.

which Sierra spin on filters can we use on these motors?

I see all of these 21 micron filters available: 18-7844 ... 18-7845 ... 18-7846

Not sure about the Sierra filter # ... but the Napa Gold Fuel Filter is # 3225.

I only use Napa Gold oil and fuel filters on all my vehicles. :thumbup:

thanks norcal! I am planning on stopping in @ napa on Friday to pick up my years supply of 1069 oil filters, so I will just grab that fuel filter while I'm there & save a trip.

cheers eh

also I'm told there is no in line filter for the carb'd sporty's. I have one sitting on the bench though... never put it on, just change the spin on every year.

Edited by Killer
thanks norcal! I am planning on stopping in @ napa on Friday to pick up my years supply of 1069 oil filters, so I will just grab that fuel filter while I'm there & save a trip.

cheers eh

:thumbup::cheers:

also I'm told there is no in line filter for the carb'd sporty's. I have one sitting on the bench though... never put it on, just change the spin on every year.

When I first got my 00 Sporty LX, I was told by a member of another site that there "had to be" an inline. :no: There isn't. At least not in 2000. I disassembled the bilge blower exhaust back on the transom and pulled the rear seatback looking for it (it was winter and I was bored anyway :crazy: ) . I have now owned the boat for nearly 10 years and have changed the spin-on every year. If there was an inline upstream of the spin-on it would be clogged solid by now. Just change your spin-on. :)

...oh, and fill the new filter with fuel before installing and you won't have to sit there cranking the motor waiting for the fuel pump to fill it. :thumbup:

For my Indmar 350, it was a spin on, I used Fram PS3808, I'm cheap, the fuel filter is on the opposite side of the oil filter, similar size, but closer to the driver. Put some fuel on the gasket as well.

For my Indmar 350, it was a spin on, I used Fram PS3808, I'm cheap, the fuel filter is on the opposite side of the oil filter, similar size, but closer to the driver. Put some fuel on the gasket as well.

Wow, the Monsoon must have changed a lot from 05 to 06, mine is inline and on the same side (starboard) as the oil filter.

post-8316-127119608881_thumb.jpg

NDawg, that explains why I can't get the damn fuel filter on!! I've been trying for weeks. I can't wait to get to the lake.

I used to own a 2000 Sportster LX before selling it and getting an 05 VLX. We are talking about a Sportster in the OP right?

NDawg, that explains why I can't get the damn fuel filter on!! I've been trying for weeks. I can't wait to get to the lake.

I used to own a 2000 Sportster LX before selling it and getting an 05 VLX. We are talking about a Sportster in the OP right?

Don't tell me that getting the fuel filter on has kept you off the water!!!

yes the OP was about a carbed sportster. :biggrin:

Edited by Ndawg12

No chance. I've done some stupid stuff, like not screw the spin-on fuel filter on all the way when I had the Sportster. Woke up the next day and my old house smelled like gas since I kept the boat in the garage. Turns out, 3/4 of the gas tank emptied into the bilge area before I knew what was going on.

Guess, I should have added screw the spin-on nice and tight to my list of advice.

I took the boat out a few weeks ago and it started to sputter. I changed the fuel filter and its good to go. Now, I keep a spare fuel filter on the boat just in case.

you actually don't want to screw it on very tight, or good luck getting it back off! putting oil on the seal will help it form a tight one. 3/4 turn from seated by hand should be fine & is what's recommended OEM.

I don't see how you could empty the gas tank into the bilge with everything off? the fuel doesn't flow unless the motor's on....

"The fuel doesn't flow unless the motor's on..." tell that to my bilge and garbage can with about 15 gallons of gas in it because the fuel filter fell off at some point. All the gas went into the bilge, and then I drained it out of the rear drain plug. After that, I put the filter on all the way (firmly, but less than tight), no more problems.

The joy of being a first time boat owner at the time.

"The fuel doesn't flow unless the motor's on..." tell that to my bilge and garbage can with about 15 gallons of gas in it because the fuel filter fell off at some point. All the gas went into the bilge, and then I drained it out of the rear drain plug. After that, I put the filter on all the way (firmly, but less than tight), no more problems.

The joy of being a first time boat owner at the time.

:rofl: we've all done something like that, but only some are willing to admit it. Like when I tore my whole boat apart and all the battery wiring to figure out why it wouldn't start on the launch ramp. Ooops, shifter not in nuetral!!!

Funny, the same thing happened to me a few weeks ago and if my buddy didn't find out the boat wasn't in neutral, I'd still be rowing home!!

Maybe we need a stupid things we've done post.

That being said, I think its easier to replace an inline fuel filter on a 05 VLX then it is to replace a spin-on on a DD 00 Sportster. That's just my experience though.

Funny, the same thing happened to me a few weeks ago and if my buddy didn't find out the boat wasn't in neutral, I'd still be rowing home!!

Maybe we need a stupid things we've done post.

That being said, I think its easier to replace an inline fuel filter on a 05 VLX then it is to replace a spin-on on a DD 00 Sportster. That's just my experience though.

We got one of them. Feel free to revive this thread!!

stupid things we've done

...I think its easier to replace an inline fuel filter on a 05 VLX then it is to replace a spin-on on a DD 00 Sportster. That's just my experience though.

:unsure: Whatchutalkinbout, Willis? Replacing a spin-on fuel filter on a Sporty takes 30 seconds and no tools. How much easier can something be? Not that loosening 2 hose clamps and replacing an inline is difficult but seriously...easier than turning a canister to the left and then turning a new one to the right? :Doh:

:lol:

:unsure: Whatchutalkinbout, Willis? Replacing a spin-on fuel filter on a Sporty takes 30 seconds and no tools. How much easier can something be? Not that loosening 2 hose clamps and replacing an inline is difficult but seriously...easier than turning a canister to the left and then turning a new one to the right? :Doh:

:lol:

True, those 2 screw holding the clamps down are a PITA to get at!!

Willis is talking about tools and more than 30 seconds. Willis doesn't like being stuffed between a side wall and a engine for a big Willis. Willis likes room to work freely.

Location, location, location.

We're splitting hairs.

Not spilling fuel is easier too.

FACT.

Willis is talking about tools and more than 30 seconds. Willis doesn't like being stuffed between a side wall and a engine for a big Willis. Willis likes room to work freely.

:lol: Gotcha. :thumbup: At 6' / 155 lbs I sometimes forget to think about larger guys trying to squeeze into spots that I can slip right into. But if changing a spin-on is requiring tools then the filter element is on tighter than it needs to be. :yes: I like to put a little oil on the gasket of the new filter to keep it from sticking once it's time to change it.

Edited by NorCaliBu