Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Bow ballast upgrade

liljohn

I am about to a straight swap out from an 06 with Front into a 07 without Ballast. I will try to take photos and let you know how it turns out!

• 2 weeks later...

Just did the conversion stealing parts from my 06 and inputting them into my 07. It wasnt nearly as hard as expected, but definitely need to know what you are looking for. All of the wiring is already there which is a BIG plus. One fun fact is if your boat has front ballast they cheat and run wires across the floor instead of running in the belly as would have thought they would/should.

Just did the conversion stealing parts from my 06 and inputting them into my 07. It wasnt nearly as hard as expected, but definitely need to know what you are looking for. All of the wiring is already there which is a BIG plus. One fun fact is if your boat has front ballast they cheat and run wires across the floor instead of running in the belly as would have thought they would/should.

Can you take a picture of where the ballast switch goes? My acc switches are all full...

• 4 months later...

Would anyone be able to give me more detail on where the pre done wiring under the dash is? I can find it in the center hatch but with the heater under the dash I can't find that bundle of wires. 

Old thread but a few questions if anyone is still following this:

1. Why do you say the fly high bag in the storage area didn't work so well

2. Does anyone know if a tank install can be hooked into Maliview?

9 hours ago, liljohn said:

If your talking about the wires for the switch they are right behind the switches  above the steering column. 

Found those, I was looking for the wires for the drain pump and fill sensor if you have any guidance there. (hooked up to the tank, not the switch.

1 hour ago, gobble said:

Old thread but a few questions if anyone is still following this:

1. Why do you say the fly high bag in the storage area didn't work so well

2. Does anyone know if a tank install can be hooked into Maliview?

The wires are there to add to the malivue (or the dash thing in 08). Do you have an 08 or a newer boat?

1 hour ago, 95echelon said:

Found those, I was looking for the wires for the drain pump and fill sensor if you have any guidance there. (hooked up to the tank, not the switch.

Both of mine run to a hole in the side of the stringer below the floor and then straight up and out of the stringer at the transom.  

Just now, Ndawg12 said:

Both of mine run to a hole in the side of the stringer below the floor and then straight up and out of the stringer at the transom.  

I am being a goofus, but isn't the transom at the back?

On ‎7‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 10:43 AM, 95echelon said:

The wires are there to add to the malivue (or the dash thing in 08). Do you have an 08 or a newer boat?

I have a 2013 now without the front ballast installed. Looking to plumb something, whether under the seats or adding a hard tank.

@liljohn How did you run the fill line? (as in where did you drill)? Looks like I can run right up the top of the center ballast or run through the hole that the center ballast goes through to get to the drain and vent holes (tight in there). That's my last thing to run, so looking for input from anyone who has done this...

On 7/15/2016 at 7:53 AM, 95echelon said:

@liljohn How did you run the fill line? (as in where did you drill)? Looks like I can run right up the top of the center ballast or run through the hole that the center ballast goes through to get to the drain and vent holes (tight in there). That's my last thing to run, so looking for input from anyone who has done this...

I ran my fill line up the stringer to under the helm then up and over the bulkhead and back down to the tank this allowed me to mount the anti siphon on the bulk head wall and eliminate any chance of draining thru the fill line. This also matches what the factory did..  

36 minutes ago, liljohn said:

I ran my fill line up the stringer to under the helm then up and over the bulkhead and back down to the tank this allowed me to mount the anti siphon on the bulk head wall and eliminate any chance of draining thru the fill line. This also matches what the factory did..  

Awesome! Got mine done 

Liljohn, I have a VLX without the factory bow ballast. I'd like to you replicate what you did in my boat.

Just one quick question if you don't mind. What would be the disadvantage to substituting an underseat sac for the bow ballast tank in an effort to save the walkway? You mentioned at the beginning of this thread that you tried and it didn't work well?

This thread is interesting.  I picked up an 06 23 LSV that did not have the MLS installed so am looking at a ballast system install in the offseason.  Plan A was to go with an integrated bow sac such as the one by Fly High, but now I am wondering if I should try to install a a factory hard tank instead.  How many pounds does the factory tank provide?

On ‎7‎/‎17‎/‎2016 at 8:49 AM, gobble said:

Liljohn, I have a VLX without the factory bow ballast. I'd like to you replicate what you did in my boat.

Just one quick question if you don't mind. What would be the disadvantage to substituting an underseat sac for the bow ballast tank in an effort to save the walkway? You mentioned at the beginning of this thread that you tried and it didn't work well?

Well I bought the underseat sac and now I know why they don't work well. It's almost useless as far as weight because not much water can really fit in there before the seats start to pop up.

I wish these forums were a little more active, could have saved almost $300 if someone chimed in....

11 minutes ago, gobble said:

Well I bought the underseat sac and now I know why they don't work well. It's almost useless as far as weight because not much water can really fit in there before the seats start to pop up.

I wish these forums were a little more active, could have saved almost $300 if someone chimed in....

If you let the bow seats pop up you can add another 100 pounds or more. Ours are @ 4 inches off when filled and people still sit up there.

Just now, gobble said:

I'm going to try and return it or sell it on Ebay. Even if I filled it a little more it's a PITA to drain.

If you keep it try a T in the line at either left or right side, wherever your line to the pump is, and run a hose to the other side around the bow.  Ours drains quickly and fully. It is a bit light for bow weight but we just put one or two people up there and with 1100's in the back and 600 in the ski locker it works fine.

• 1 month later...

I'm thinking of doing this bow ballast tank upgrade on my 2011 V-Ride and wanted to know if a reversable could work with this scenario.  I'm thinking I would only need one line for fill and drain and could tap into the existing center tank vent with a "Y" to simplify the install.  Do you think that would work?  I'm thinking of going this route in case I need to add a bow sack for additional weight later....

Thoughts?

21 minutes ago, MJR63 said:

I'm thinking of doing this bow ballast tank upgrade on my 2011 V-Ride and wanted to know if a reversable could work with this scenario.  I'm thinking I would only need one line for fill and drain and could tap into the existing center tank vent with a "Y" to simplify the install.  Do you think that would work?  I'm thinking of going this route in case I need to add a bow sack for additional weight later....

Thoughts?

Yeah just plug the drain. 

36 minutes ago, MJR63 said:

Thoughts?

That should work fine as long as you put one way valves in both vent lines on the bag side of the Y.  This will prevent over flow from one bag filling into the other and also make them suck flat when draining.  I have mine set up that way and it works fine.

1 hour ago, MJR63 said:

Wouldn't I use the tank drain for fill and drain? 

Yeah I could have said that better. You just need one plug and the check valve. Alternatively you could use a flow diverter. Most boats have a t handle in that compartment you can live without too. I used it to add my bow tank. But I am going to redesign my system from stock to something like yours or @DarkSide's to not need throw overs anymore.