Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Heated seat install--->

Tracktor

I am installing a heated drivers seat kit in my VLX. If there is interest I'll document & post it up. Should be a simple project & will make those cold days that much better-------------

thought about doing this mod but removing the seat skin turned me off

pics of your install would be nice maybe push me over the edge to do it

you won't have to take the seat skin off all the way, you just need to remove the bottom of the back rest so you can slide the heated seat element up. The breaker is all ready there so all you need is the

Lean Back Element $46

Seat Element $65

Heated Seat Switch Cover (if you have a extra ACC switch you can use) $4.75

It would probably only take a few hours to install and it is really nice to have on those cold days.

-Paul

I have heated leather seats in both of my trucks. The leather has stretched, wrinkled, and puckered from the heat. I suspect it would do the same to marine vinyl. Just a thought. Does anyone know for sure?

I would suspect that the leather is much more supple and pliable (read: vulnerable to heat/stretch) than Marine Grade Vinyl. May be trying to compare two different beasts, but... Dontknow.gif

I have heated leather seats in both of my trucks. The leather has stretched, wrinkled, and puckered from the heat. I suspect it would do the same to marine vinyl. Just a thought. Does anyone know for sure?

Being in the North west we have heaters in 100% of our boats and heated seats in about 90% of our boats. The heater is really nice and a must to extend your "fair weather" boating season around here. (Just FYI "Good heat" is only produced over 1,000 RPMS, even with the low RPM fitting)

The heated seat is very effective, it's definitely a very luxurious thing to have in a boat. The captain obviously gets all the benefits and it's well worth it, i would put one in my boat if i still had my 98'.

We are using the factories heated seat element, just how they install it with no issues of wrinkling or puckering the vinyl? In fact I've never had to do warranty service for the heated seat. Skyskier, something must be wrong with your heated seats, or the leather needs to be conditioned (don't ever use armor all on leather or Malibu's vinyl)

I definitely wouldn't go installing some after market heated seat just because who knows what it would do and whether it can stand the moisture like the factory one does. Malibu has been doing the heated seat since 03' and it's proved itself to be reliable and hold up to the elements.

-Paul

For the record................Chevy Equinox has factory leather and heater. Dodge Dakota leather and heater are both after market. Neither have ever seen armour all. I have never used any kind of leather conditioner either. (my bad?) The Chevy problem is worse. I would have thought it would be the other way around since the Dodge has after market stuff. Glad to know there are no issues with the marine version. When I saw the heated seat thread all kinds of alarms went off. Now I'm thinking it may just be a big fat arse issue. Whistling.gif

For the record................Chevy Equinox has factory leather and heater. Dodge Dakota leather and heater are both after market. Neither have ever seen armour all. I have never used any kind of leather conditioner either. (my bad?) The Chevy problem is worse. I would have thought it would be the other way around since the Dodge has after market stuff. Glad to know there are no issues with the marine version. When I saw the heated seat thread all kinds of alarms went off. Now I'm thinking it may just be a big fat arse issue. Whistling.gif

Katzskinz(sp) leather is generally what most aftermarket installers use and imo better than most factory leather. JH get some 303 on the equinox...now.

You need to feed your leather regularly if you want to prevent creases, wrinkles and wear (especially in high traffic areas like the driver's bottom cushion bolster).

I have the heated seat in my 2004 LSV and really like it. I haven't had any problems with it other than it can get too hot. I do not have a low high switch just on/off-bummer.

I installed aftermarket heated seats in my 2005 F-250 for both the driver and passenger and I don't think I will have another vehicle without the feature. I don't use the heat in the truck anymore. I bought the system that has two pads per seat one for the butt and the other for the back. The illuminated pushbutton switches that come with the kit have three settings low high and medium. I installed the system about 14 months ago and have had no trouble with it at all. You do need to remove the seats from the truck to insall the pads and as was stated earlier you do NOT need to take all of the upholstery off to get the heating elements in place.

I bought the kit from:

http://www.checkcorp.com/

This company sells direct and was very helpful over the phone when I had questions. I think this sight will appreciate the boat they feature on their sight for marine applications.

-Dave

Plus1.gif

Heaters rock!

I didn't order the heated seat option cause i was told they are not that effective. who has this option and what is your opinion? thanks

Only problem is that Check Corp. has a thermostat that only allow the seat to heat up till 105F and it take about 10 minutes to get there. My back side enjoys it on those cool mornings ski runs and late evening cruses.

I can see heating the observers seat bottom at some point in the future with a connector that lets you unplug the feed and tuck it away for summer. You could make it long enough so you could still raise the cushion and move it out of the way withoug unplugging.

BRILLIANT!!. If you haven't done this yet and ride in cold weather or just like to be snuggy, do this mod now. Soo nice! I am going to do the passenger side next as I can't be hoggin' all the toast.-

I used a standard electric stapler & stainless staples and it worked great.

The kits I bought came with two pads, a switch and all of the wiring-

One Pad with the adhesive I used-

p1040296jl6.jpg

Shot with DMC-FZ5 at 2009-02-16

First step pull staples, pretty basic. You only have to pull the inner staples on the main seat-

p1040295ej1.jpg

Next fit the heat pads and adhere-

p1040291ko5.jpg

p1040294jf6.jpg

p1040299yt9.jpg

I covered the pads with 1/4" upholstrey foam I bought at a local shop. probably not necessary but I didn't want to feel the pads. This does make them a bit slower to heat but other than that it worked great.-

p1040298sv3.jpg

Re-staple cover ( only show the base but the main seat was even easier)-

p1040300za7.jpg

p1040302ax4.jpg

Drill hole & install switch-

p1040308wk2.jpg

p1040311zq4.jpg

Last step is wire switch into a power line from switched from the ignition and you're done.

Last step is wire switch into a power line from switched from the ignition and you're done.

I wouldn't take power off of your ignition switch? adding a 20 or 30 amp load to your ignition circuit is asking for trouble. Power should be taken from a main source and fused or breaker'd properly. Most of the newer models will all ready have the breaker in the panel labeled "heated seat" I have pictures of Malibu heated seat elements that i will post up tomorrow.

-Paul

I wouldn't take power off of your ignition switch? adding a 20 or 30 amp load to your ignition circuit is asking for trouble. Power should be taken from a main source and fused or breaker'd properly. Most of the newer models will all ready have the breaker in the panel labeled "heated seat" I have pictures of Malibu heated seat elements that i will post up tomorrow.

-Paul

Good catch Paul

Run your power in the way Paul suggested or you could run a new circuit from the battery to a new fused power block so that you can add to it with any other new upgrades.

-Paul

I didn't say off the ignition switch I said "switched from the ignition". I used a relay but could've been more clear. Of course it was breakered I didn't think I'd need to mention every little detail?. I wouldn't run it off of a main source as they aren't switched and could easily be left on accidently. The breaker Malibu has for the heater & acc is power full time which isn't a good idea, imo. Secondly, these don't pull 30-30 amps. I will look up the useage but the fuse is only a 7 amp.

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't say off the ignition switch I said "switched from the ignition". I used a relay but could've been more clear. Of course it was breakered I didn't think I'd need to mention every little detail?. I wouldn't run it off of a main source as they aren't switched and could easily be left on accidently. The breaker Malibu has for the heater & acc is power full time which isn't a good idea, imo. Secondly, these don't pull 30-30 amps. I will look up the useage but the fuse is only a 7 amp.

So does your heated seat run every time the key is on? I'm just trying to understand how you wired it in, how you first described it sounded very un-safe, that's why i said something. Typical post out of context, sorry! I would rather have control at the dash and have a toggle switch light to tell me it's on or off. You were right on the amperage load, it's less than 10 amps. It was the power seat option i was thinking of.

-Paul

Edited by Bake's Marine

I finally got some pictures and the heated seats up on our site... This is what they look like, to install them all you have to do is slide them in between the vinyl and the foam and wire it up, it's a really easy aftermarket install.

post-4023-1235697985_thumb.jpg

post-4023-1235698453_thumb.jpg

If you want measurements or any other details you can check out our site: http://www.bakesonline.com/detail.aspx?ID=1496

-Paul

I finally got some pictures and the heated seats up on our site... This is what they look like, to install them all you have to do is slide them in between the vinyl and the foam and wire it up, it's a really easy aftermarket install.

post-4023-1235697985_thumb.jpg

post-4023-1235698453_thumb.jpg

If you want measurements or any other details you can check out our site: http://www.bakesonline.com/detail.aspx?ID=1496

-Paul

can they be wired into the mux switches and can several of these be installed throughout the boat?

thanks