Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Shoulder surgery - torn labrum

thewakeboarder

UPDATE:

I'm about 4 and 1/2 months out of Surgery and slowly recovering. Everything seemed to go well. After opening my Shoulder up they found 2 tears opposite of each other in my Labrum, called a SLAP TEAR. For the most part everything else was good. The bigger one required 3 anchors, and the little one required 1 anchor. I've wake surfed a few times, but its not quite ready for wakeboarding. It hurts the most when I extend it above my head, like I'm going up to block in volleyball. I just hope the pain goes away soon, so I get strap my board back on.

On a side note, I'm 26 and in nearly excellent health (other than my stupid shoulder now). This kind of stuff can happen to anyone.

• 1 year later...

@thewakeboarder, can you give us another update? I'm wondering if / when you got back to 100% Here's my story:

Towards the end of summer 2009, both of my shoulders started hurting from wakeboarding. Can't point to any one particular incident, they just got sore over the season. Doc told me it was just muscle soreness and to just take naprosyn (Aleve) or ibuprofen (Advil). So I did, and after the pain went away (mostly), I started doing shoulder rehab / exercises on my own. By winter they felt pretty good, so I went back to my other sport - Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. Bad idea. I got swept from the top, stuck out my left arm to post out, and heard a distinctive tearing sound. After that I could not lift my left arm at all.

Went to the doc (different one this time!) who figured it was a rotator cuff tear. MRI should big time tear in my left shoulder and minor tears in the right. The orthopedic surgeon said the left one needed surgery, while the right one would probably heal with PT. I scheduled surgery ASAP, on 12-30-09.

Once the surgeon got in there, he saw my shoulder was much more jacked-up that he realized. I had 3 tears; rotator cuff, SLAP/labrum and Bankart tears. He repaired all of them plus did the subacromial decompression.

By mid-summer 2010 I was wakesurfing, but not wakeboarding. By late sumer 2010, I thought I was OK to wakeboard. I just did one casual run, then my shoulder hurt for 2 weeks. The thing is, it's hard to know if the pain is a "normal" part of healing, or if I was re-tearing something again. It felt pretty much the same as when my shoulder started hurting from wakeboarding initially.

Now, at age 41, I'm starting to wonder if I'll ever be able to wakeboard like I used to. The PT guy said it would technically never really heal 100%, but he still thought I could wakeboard again. (Not really sure how sharp that guy was.) So, I'm trying to workout my shoulders all this winter in hopes that I'll be able to wakeboard this summer of 2011.

So @thewakeboarder, are you back to 100%, and if so, how long did it take?

February - 09 - left shoulder rotator cuff surgery - on the water by late April - had a great 2010 wakeboard season - nailed some great tricks - the one that did me in was saving the prop and rudder when the wife did an evasive power-turn at the launch to swing away from some A$$ coming in too fast... popped the right shoulder stopping the boat in shallow water

surgery on the right shoulder November - still in P.T.... matching scars.... just now regaining range of motion.

I'm in my mid forties - and the thought of giving up has never entered my mind... I'm actually thinking of upgrading to keep the stoke...

oh yeah - it was the supraspinatus - both sides - left side one screw, right there are 3

Edited by FlatH20

In 2009, I had a torn labrum among other issues in my left shoulder, but no torn rotator cuff. I think I really tweaked it when slack got in the line and i held on instead of letting the handle pop. Had the surgery in January and waited six months until I rode. I was sore as hell the first time back, but iced it, etc. Came back eventually, but I did make the mistake of doing some cuffed riding drills and blind landings. Not a good idea. I'm 45 BTW.

Hydrofoilers have the same shoulder issues. The stress on the shoulders goes way up as line tension skills improve. Front flips are tough on shoulders as well. I will be having labrum surgery #4 in a couple of weeks. Surgery #1 on the right side did the trick. Surgery #1 on the left side was torn apart by too much line tension over several months of foiling. Surgery #2 on the left was torn apart by lifting too much weight too soon. Physical therapy and strengthening the supporting muscle is key to a full recovery without re injury. I will be hitting the PT much harder this time.

For those who have had this injury, military press is off limits forever. Bench press is best left alone for eight months or more. My doc says with proper strengthening there is no reason I can't go back to foiling after 6-8 months. Age 53.

This is meant to be informative, not :cry: .

Well folks, I am 27 and will be heading to surgery soon. I'm a principal and was breaking up a fight in October. Needless to say, we all ended up on the ground and I landed hard on my right shoulder. I tore my rotator cuff and have a SLAP tear that needs fxed. The good ole' speed of BWC has slowed the process down. I just hate being so young and having this type of surgery. I heard I should be back at it, just a long recovery.

I survived back surgery in 07 and Skied after, so I'll probably take this year off and hit it again next year :(

Wakeboard sessions with my son (15) and me (49) at some point I start telling him to take it down a notch so he won't get hurt and he starts telling me to take it up a notch becouse I am boarding like a wimp.

Busted my eardrum last year that's about the only injury so far. (hoping for inverts this summer)

What helmets are you guys using with ear protection. I haven't found one.

I will be having labrum surgery #4 in a couple of weeks. ... Surgery #1 on the left side was torn apart by too much line tension over several months of foiling.

See, that's what I'm afraid of. I load the rope pretty good and I don't want to tear something apart and have to return for repeated surgeries. I have a career and life outside of wakeboarding to consider. My job requires full range of motion, and I wasn't able to work for 4+ months after my surgery. I really don't want to go through that again.

Is there any kind of exercise that can strengthen support to help guard against rope tension-related injuries? Maybe rows?

For those who have had this injury, military press is off limits forever.

Oh snap, really? I've been doing military presses as part of my rehab, assuming it would strengthen my shoulder muscles. Of course, I don't do it behind the neck, that's unsafe. I use dumbbells, not a machine or barbell, and I have the bench back at a slight angle instead of straight up, so the motion is never behind my neck. Taking those precautions, and doing higher reps with lower weight (as opposed to vice-versa) I think it's OK. Here's some guidance I found: Strength Training for the Shoulder

The most important thing with shoulder injuries is rehab. I just finished playin college football and i have torn both rotator cuffs as well as two labrum tears in my left shoulder and one in my right. I decided not to have surgery.

I still lift weights 5 days a week but have changed from power to body weight stuff as in no more heavy compound lifts like bench or squat. I also still do rehab such as internal external rotations with a band a few times a week with my normal shoulder workouts and i no longer notice any problems with my shoulders at all havent even had one pop out since last january right after i finished football.

Good luck with it but just make sure to work em hard the more muscle you build on your shoulders and neck the more support you have.

Thanks @rrkyle. I was surprised to see in the PDF I posted (which is from Massachusetts General Hospital) that it says to avoid standing lateral deltoid raises. That was one of the exercises my PT had me doing in rehab, albeit with very low weight dumbbells. Does anyone understand why those should be avoided? I can see not to overdo it with excessive weights or work to muscle failure, but it seems like it should be helpful as long as reasonable weights were used. Anyone?

Edited by MadDogMike

Thanks @rrkyle. I was surprised to see in the PDF I posted (which is from Massachusetts General Hospital) that it says to avoid standing lateral deltoid raises. That was one of the exercises my PT had me doing in rehab, albeit with very low weight dumbbells. Does anyone understand why those should be avoided? I can see not to overdo it with excessive weights or work to muscle failure, but it seems like it should be helpful as long as reasonable weights were used. Anyone?

You wanna wait until its fully healed before you start using any weight for the lateral delt raises as well as front and rear. When i first tore mine i was using 5lb dumbbells for my shoulder complex and it was a bit painful. You just have to take the time to rehab it right or it will keep having problems.

Also do alot of rotator cuff stuff as in holding your arm at your side at 90* and doing inward outward rotation as well as holding it out parrallel to the floor at 90* Never go over a 5lb on these because then your larger shoulder muscles take over.

The other thing that helps some is shrugs. Just make sure you always go slowly straight up and down NEVER roll it. Rolling tears rotator cuffs haha.

Im back up to using 40lb dumbbells on my shoulder complexes(lateral, anterior, posterior delt raises) And no longer have any pain or problems. But it has been a long road.

Sorry for the essay but my major is exercise & sport science and this is what i study haha. Let me know if you ever need any tips. Good Luck :)

You wanna wait until its fully healed before you start using any weight for the lateral delt raises as well as front and rear.

What would you consider "fully healed". It's been a year since my surgery, so I would think that would qualify. I started with very light weights in PT, under 5 pounds. Now I'm using 20 pounds for delt raises, and no more than 40 for military presses. That sound OK?

What would you consider "fully healed". It's been a year since my surgery, so I would think that would qualify. I started with very light weights in PT, under 5 pounds. Now I'm using 20 pounds for delt raises, and no more than 40 for military presses. That sound OK?

Oh yeah man. You should be fine then. Theres not so much a time frame with that kind of injury, it just depends on how you feel. Just make sure your technique is perfect. Standing straight arms going straight out etc.. You dont wanna have to swing or anything like that. Good luck. Stick with the rotator cuff stuff it really helped me alot. :rockon:

Tore my shoulder out of socket on a simple 180 snowboarding in 2002 (18 yrs old then)- I only did 90 and face planted with my arm going up and back over my head.

Lived with it popping in and out until 2005 when I had the labrum repaired. Followed the dr.'s orders exactly and did all the rehab. Very painful experience.

I echo what other's have stated already. Weights above the head still feel dangerously un-natural. Range of motion isn't what it was so now im throwing womanly than ever.

I play volleyball with caution, have to block with hands at least 6 inches in front. It kills if hands are straight up and the ball forces my arms back behind the head.

For wakeboarding, I'm at the skill level where I've landed a few inverts and trying new tricks every weekend. I'm also at the point where I usually know when I'm going to crash so I tend to drop the handle before getting yanked. It's just something you have to be aware of while riding.

Also- stretch all the time. If I do anything (gym, wakeboarding, throwing) if I don't stretch prior then I pay for it. I still stretch every few days just to keep it limber because it does tighten up without activity.

I also have issues sleeping on my side, can't really do it without some soreness the next day.

I'm sure this all sounds pretty bad, but to be honest I would do the surgery again 100% of the time. Shoulder never pops out. It's actually tighter than ever and that is what is leading to all the current issues.

So stay stretched, do lots of arm circles, lift light weights in front and side of your body with straight arms to keep your muscles strong, and go shred with a little bit of caution in the back of your mind.

Edited by malibanker

I know my issues started the season that I learned to really load the rope for extra pop at the wake. I'm quite sure that rope tension was the origin of my tears. What does everyone think the best exercise is to counteract that rope tension ... maybe rows?

A question for the guys who have had the surgery. Some docs like to get started on physical therapy right away......like the day after surgery. They say this leads to faster recovery and less motion restriction from scar tissue. Others will put you in a sling for six weeks and then start PT. They say it is wise to let things heal before starting PT. I am curious to know which method your surgeon chose and how soon you were able to do everyday activities relatively pain free.

The reason for the question..........

My doc likes to start PT the next day. He says this method started with pro athletes who have pushed for faster recovery times and now this method has become popular. With all three of my surgeries I had full range of motion and was mostly pain free after three months. BUT, I managed to re tear my right shoulder twice. This makes me wonder if six weeks healing time in a sling might allow for more complete healing and a stronger repair.

I know my issues started the season that I learned to really load the rope for extra pop at the wake. I'm quite sure that rope tension was the origin of my tears. What does everyone think the best exercise is to counteract that rope tension ... maybe rows?

I asked that question when I was in PT. They suggested I keep with the full workout routine and not focus on any one thing. The idea is to strengthen the entire shoulder so there are no weak links. They had me doing most of the excercises with bands rather than dumbells. The bands provide even resistance throughout the entire motion is what they said.

I like the rowing machine for simulating line tension, but they were very much against that until I was at the six month point. They were also very much against bench presses and behind the head military presses. Those excercises bring the rotator cuff into play. I had torn tater cuff stuff repaired too, so that might be why they did not want me doing those exercises.

Another thing to think about is that line tension when cutting to the wake or when upside down is not a straight forward pull like rowing or doing rows. You will need to build lateral strength as well. I don't know of any one excercise that will do it all, so building the shoulder into one rock hard complete package by following the full PT routine makes sense.

A question for the guys who have had the surgery. Some docs like to get started on physical therapy right away......like the day after surgery. They say this leads to faster recovery and less motion restriction from scar tissue. Others will put you in a sling for six weeks and then start PT. They say it is wise to let things heal before starting PT. I am curious to know which method your surgeon chose and how soon you were able to do everyday activities relatively pain free.

My doc has the reputation of a great surgeon, but he's a lousy communicator. The morning after the surgery a CPM (Continuous Passive Motion) machine was delivered to my house. They told me I had to get in it right away to get my shoulder moving, otherwise it would lock up. My shoulder was still in pretty bad pain, and I did NOT want to move it, nor was I told to expect this. So I called the doc's office and they said yep, gotta get in that machine. I was told I needed to be in the machine at least 6 hours per day. It started with very small movements, like 10 degrees, then as my shoulder loosened up, the motion was increased. Each time the range of motion was increased it would hurt like a painful stretch, but eventually things loosened up and it was OK.

After I think a few weeks on the CPM machine, I went to a Physical Therapist. There they continued passive motion therapy, this time applied by a person instead of a machine. (Very painful!) Once full range of motion was reached, the next step was strength building, mostly with bands, some very light dumbbells and a couple of other machines. I went there until I was able to return to work (and the insurance hit its limit), and I've just been doing strength-building on my own since then.

Remember, though, I had 4 repairs done on my shoulder, so what was prescribed for me might be different than for you. I imagine each individual case might be different.

Hearing you say that you re-tore yours scares the hell out of me. I do NOT want to go through that again!

I did the sling for six weeks. My surgery was five years ago and that's what every doctor I met with recommended. I had a torn labrum only and no rotator cuff damage.

I'm happy with my results. Once the sling came off it took a good 2-3 months to get decent range of motion back. One of my exercises was to put my hand on the end of a broom stick and use my good arm to "force" my bad hand higher - painful but over time you make small improvements and get your hand up to your chest, then to your eyes, then above your head.

Best recommendation is to trust your doctor. They see patients with your problem every day. The chances of you getting hurt again comes down to the strength of the joint compared to the stress that you apply to it.