Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

MMDC guage replacement (01 VLX)

I have a '01 VLX, that came thru with 2 analog guages (Speed and Tack) on ether side, and a Digital (MMDC) guage in the center.

That guage has been problematic for the last few years, have replaced the computer twice, and the LCD display is almost unreadable. Ive been told they are not made any more and finding replacements is very tough. Thats fine, as I would like to replace it with the analog mulit-guage (oil, fuel, temp, bat) that I see in other Bu's. The MMDC manual, that came with the boat, has a schematic that shows the analog guages off one harness/feed and the MMDC on another - seems simple enough (famous last words, right...)

Ive looked under the dash of other 'Bu's (that have the multi-function analog guage) and the computer & wiring harness 'appears' to be the same. I talked to my Bu dealer service dept, and they seem to think its not that easy, although they have never done one, since the computer does have both analog and digital guages already attached.

My questions are:

1) Has anyone done this conversion from the MMDC to the multi-function analog guage?

2) Does anyone have MMDC information, factory contact, or souce for replacement parts - in the event I need to replace the digital display

You can replace with a multi gauge.

The MDC (the computer which drives the gauges) has 3 gauge outputs that are all identical. Each output plug goes into a gauge and that gauge pulls the relevant data from the plug.

So just pull out the MMDC gauge unplug all the junk on the back and find that "extra" output and plug in your multi gauge.

I had an 01 Sunsetter with the same problem ealier this year. I did check there were 3 outputs and that a multi gauge could be installed. I sold the boat before I actually fixed it however.

-Chris

The MDC (the computer which drives the gauges) has 3 gauge outputs that are all identical. Each output plug goes into a gauge and that gauge pulls the relevant data from the plug.

So just pull out the MMDC gauge unplug all the junk on the back and find that "extra" output and plug in your multi gauge.

I had an 01 Sunsetter with the same problem ealier this year. I did check there were 3 outputs and that a multi gauge could be installed. I sold the boat before I actually fixed it however.

-Chris

Thanks for the feedback, thats what it seemed. Ive never had the dash off, so if you have any tips (looks like the steering column is the main complication) let me know. I will call the marina, order the Multi-function guage, do the plug-n-pray routine. As soon as Ive done the swap, I will post back with the results.

Garry

• 5 weeks later...

update

The local dealer connected with Malibu and claim its a straigh-forward upgrade (cable & analogue guage).

Apparently there are a few others locally that have lost the LCD on the MMDC display, so the dealer is ordering a few kits, but dont have an ETA on when.

When I order the boat the dealer talked me into the MMDC, and I should have known that the concept (LCD display) was better on paper that in MY boat (DOOH) with mosture in the summer and cold in winter storage - The LCD display should have been removable. I started pushing my dealer to get a replacement for the last 1yr+ now, as I heard others were haveing the same issue, then the guages are "out of production" - great.

So far everyone (local dealer, factory) seems to be moving S L O W L E Y - so Im not counting on getting this fixed before I have to winterize in a few weeks - Im just not 'feelin the love'...

Stay tuned...

Sorry to hear of your troubles.

The dash is removed very easily. The two screws that hold down the malibu emblem under the center gauge must be removed in addition to one above that center gauge and all 3 gauges and that panel will pull out.

If you have an extra plug (the exact same type and wire colors) that go into the speedo and tach then you should be all set to plug in a multigauge (to the best of my knowledge anyway)

-Chris

Sorry to hear of your troubles.

The dash is removed very easily. The two screws that hold down the malibu emblem under the center gauge must be removed in addition to one above that center gauge and all 3 gauges and that panel will pull out.

If you have an extra plug (the exact same type and wire colors) that go into the speedo and tach then you should be all set to plug in a multigauge (to the best of my knowledge anyway)

-Chris

Chris,

Thanks for the info. on DASH removal, sounds easy enough. I've never had the Dash off and (at a glance) it looked like the steering column would be problematic, but that doesnt sound like the case.

Garry

• 10 months later...
  • 3 years later...

Mine has done the same thing. They still sell them but there like 850$ screw that. Going with the multi-gauge analog that is only 220$, but I would prefer to find an electrical shop and see if they could fix my screene.

Thanks

• 2 years later...

-Chris

You are right. I ordered an analog multi gauge from the dealer to replace the illegible LCD digital gauge, and used the existing wire harness connector behind the cluster to plug it in - fits perfectly and works great.

• 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...
On 10/11/2012 at 4:26 PM, atempleman18 said:

Mine has done the same thing. They still sell them but there like 850$ screw that. Going with the multi-gauge analog that is only 220$, but I would prefer to find an electrical shop and see if they could fix my screene.

Thanks

I'm having the same issue on my '01 Sunsetter VLX. Does anyone have a part number or link to the analog guage? Thanks!

• 3 months later...

my 'bad' for never replying and closing-the-loop on this thread. 

I limped along with the MDC for another year till the display was so far gone I couldn't read anything.  finally pulled the trigger on returning to analogue gauges. in fall of 2009, and decided to have the marina do it (along with a few other items) and have never looked back.  the analogue gauges work great in direct sunlight (unlike the MDC) and have worked flawlessly since.   

The only loss-of-functionality was the dept-finder, as there was no longer a digital display.  the built-in transducer and brain (under the dash) is still in place, but no display head.   I keep asking around in the hopes <someone> has fund a display head (from another vendor) that works and hooked it up to the existing cabling.   I really miss the depth-finder particularly when I visit new shallow lakes , and hope I can come across someone that found a 'creative' solution :-) 

• 2 months later...