Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

What kind of wedge would you recommend.

Jess

Hey, I have a 99' Malibu Response LX boat and I love to wake board and my dad loves to barefoot. We were just wondering what kind of wedge anyone would reccomend for our boat, because I really need a bigger wake. We have no balasts, but a friend recomened a wedge. We know nothing about them. I heard theres manuel ones, power ones and float ones? I also read in the forum about the bow lifting up too high, would that be a problem with our boat? What one do you think would be best for our boat and situation. Thanks alot.

Hey, I have a 99' Malibu Response LX boat and I love to wake board and my dad loves to barefoot. We were just wondering what kind of wedge anyone would reccomend for our boat, because I really need a bigger wake. We have no balasts, but a friend recomened a wedge. We know nothing about them. I heard theres manuel ones, power ones and float ones? I also read in the forum about the bow lifting up too high, would that be a problem with our boat? What one do you think would be best for our boat and situation. Thanks alot.

The wedge is only a factory option, so you won't be able to get a wedge. The exception is that some people have gotten a manual wedge, through various means like ebay or a wrecked boat, and installed it themselves. I don't think I've ever seen a power wedge available through any of these outlets and the floating wedge is new enough that you probably won't find that either.

Never mind... see the post from 99response below

Edited by CedarLakeSkier

Welcome.gif

Adding a wedge can be done, but there is considerable cost and alot of time and work involved. Many people prefer the wake that is produced with NO wedge and only ballast. I would grab some ballast bags and try those first, ALOT easier and cheaper then adding a wedge, and it could arguably produce a better wake.

The wedge is only a factory option, so you won't be able to get a wedge. The exception is that some people have gotten a manual wedge, through various means like ebay or a wrecked boat, and installed it themselves. I don't think I've ever seen a power wedge available through any of these outlets and the floating wedge is new enough that you probably won't find that either.

I'm afraid this is inaccurate. You CAN get a wedge after the fact from Malibu

There are 3 types:

1. Newer Manual Wedge - was not OEM on your boat but should fit either way, Malibu/dealer can verify. This is an all stainless construction and is called a floating wedge becuase it does not lock in the down (big wake) position. It natually finds the best spot to be in based on the speed of the boat. You have to pull the wedge up and down by hand (easy)

2. Older manual wedge - what would have been OEM on your boat, it includes a much smaller mounting bracket than the newer manual wedge, if garage space is a consideration. This style wedge locks in the down position. You have to pull the wedge up and down by hand (easy)

3. Power wedge - this is the one that is a factory only install, if a boat does not leave the factory with the power wedge it will never have one.

Cost, well the older style wedges are around $650 for the plate + foil. The install on a Response is a pretty significant effort because the rear seat back, trunk, etc have to be removed in order to slide the gas tank back to get access to the back of the boat to tighten the bolts. I would say 4-6 hours of labor is about right @ whatever your shop rate is ($100 an hour around here).

Hope this helps,

Chris

Just to add two points to Chris's excellent description

2. This wedge came in 2 flavors - original (flat) & Wedge 23 (bent). The flat wedge as it turned out worked better with the diamond hull, so this would be the one for your boat. Another point on this wedge is that the bracket that it mounts to also allows mounting of the Scarpa plate, which is something that footers use to shape the wake to their liking. For that boat, this is the setup that I would recommend for this reason alone. Any future resale could be affected by the fact that you may be able to add that plate to this mounting bracket.

Just to add two points to Chris's excellent description

2. This wedge came in 2 flavors - original (flat) & Wedge 23 (bent). The flat wedge as it turned out worked better with the diamond hull, so this would be the one for your boat. Another point on this wedge is that the bracket that it mounts to also allows mounting of the Scarpa plate, which is something that footers use to shape the wake to their liking. For that boat, this is the setup that I would recommend for this reason alone. Any future resale could be affected by the fact that you may be able to add that plate to this mounting bracket.

Wakegirl:

At the risk of hijacking the OP, can you briefly explain the difference between a flat wedge and bent wedge. The wedge I have on my RLXI is "pointed," if that helps. By the way I completely agree with your comment regarding the wedge and SSP.

Thanks,

Matt.

The flat one is just the way it sounds - the foil is flat all the way across. The bent one has a vertical crease/bend in the foil right in the middle. I don't have time at the moment to find pics to illustrate the point, but if someone doesn't beat me to it I'll look for some tonight.

I'm afraid this is inaccurate. You CAN get a wedge after the fact from Malibu

Chris,

Thanks for the correction, in the words of Ed McMahon "I did not know that...."

OP, sorry for the mis-information