Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Sunsetter vs. Echelon LX

SteveC

I am in the market for a used tow boat and had pretty much decided on a mid-90s (1993 or newer as I really like the idea of a boat with fiberglass stringers and floor) Sunsetter. I like Malibu boats and the Sunsetter met my criteria so it seemed like a no-brainer. Then I stumbled across this forum and read a lot of posts praising the Echelon as an excellent boat and now I’m starting to second guess myself.

I was hoping you guys could give me a little advice as I have no direct experience with either boat. The boat will be used for the following (in order of importance):

1. General cruising around the lake (the rest of my family are not avid skiers and there are more of them than me so the boat will be used for general use more than it will be used for skiing).

2. Open water slalom skiing (I am an avid slalom skier and want a good tow boat for this purpose).

3. Other towed watersports (Wakeboarding, tubing, etc…Having a good wakeboarding wake is a very low priority for me as the people in my family don’t wakeboard but we often have guests that do so the boat will be used for wakeboarding from time to time.)

I’m looking for a boat that meets the following criteria:

1. Open bow

2. Decent ride in choppy water (the lake on which the boat will be primarily used is not large and doesn’t get extremely rough but as the boat will be used quite a bit for non-towing duties, it has to ride decently when going from here to there in less-than-glassy conditions)

3. 5.7L Chevy/Merc. Engine (After 30 years of training GM service technicians my dad know these motors like the back of his hand and has a garage full of parts for them. It would be nice to know that if I have mechanical problems that I won’t have to worry too much.)

4. My budget is approx. $15,000

So, all of that said, I’m hoping that you can tell me whether the Sunsetter or Echelon LX (as I said, I’m looking for a boat with an open bow) would be a better choice for me (or would I be fine with either one?). What are the primary differences between the two? Is there anything I should look for when actually evaluating a specific boat that I might purchase?

Also, if anyone with personal experience can give me any pro or cons on either boat, I’d be appreciative.

Thanks a lot for you help.

Steve

Steve,

Welcome to the crew. The Echelon LX is a great boat that will meet your criteria. It rides nice in less than glass water. It has a great ski wake and some of us have added a wedge to it to make a better wake board wake. You will be happy with this boat. I know a friend of mine is selling his. It is a 93.

PM me if you have any questions.

Brad

I have owned both and the Echleon LX fits my needs much better. I am pretty much a hard core skier and barefooter and the Echelon does both extremely well. The wake on the Echelon will be better for both the long line and short line skier. As for room and cruising, in my opinion both will be pretty much the same, the Sunsetter will offer more room on the inside, so check that out between the two. The ride between the two will be similar. As for GM powertrain, Malibu was the first of the big three to go fully GM. Given the budget you are working with, you will probably end up with a Mercruiser application or if you end up a bit newer an Indmar application. Both are good units. I think for your budget, you should be able to find an Echelon LX.

The Echelon was the top of the line Malibu in the mid 90's, coming in above the Sunsetter and offered a first class wake. The Echelon has the SV23 hull, which put Malibu on the map. It also ended up winning several boat of the year awards and shot Malibu up to the level of MC and CC. It was a two mfg club until the SV23 hull came out in the Echelon.

I love my '93 Echelon LX, the irde is great, it has plenty of room for me the fam or several ski club members. I do know that it is easy to take a roller over the bow bow to the low free board, but his is just something you have to be watch full of.

I purchased a 95 Sunsetter last summer. My first ski boat. Nice family ride, handles the rough water well, open bow, lots of storage, deep gunnels so the kids feel safe. It can be seen on Wakesiderides.com about the 5th or 6th down Black & White. I paid 13000. One owner 185 hrs - like new after a wash & wax job.

One thing to remember...from what you are describing in terms of what you are lookin for, you will want a 1995 or newer Sunsetter LX and 1993 or newer Echelon LX.

I love my '93 Echelon LX, the irde is great, it has plenty of room for me the fam or several ski club members. I do know that it is easy to take a roller over the bow bow to the low free board, but his is just something you have to be watch full of.

That was my biggest issue with the Echelon.. I loved how it looked though compared to the same model year Sunsetter...

That was my biggest issue with the Echelon.. I loved how it looked though compared to the same model year Sunsetter...

Water over the bow can be an issue w/ any model, including the VLX.

Including water over the stern from a fully weighted 247 Whistling.gif

I don't have a lot of seat time the the V drive wakeboard boats to know how they really compare. All the guys in the club are running DD's. But I suppose with a weighted V drive you could take some water over the bow or stern, I just figured with more freeboard you might be less prone to stuff the bow.

I would look for either that has a factory installed wedge. Once you have your new boat, even though skiing is what you like, wakeboarding and surfing should be considered. I thought that with mine, I just wanted to step up to a performace ski boat. Now, we have 1400 lbs of ballast, and with the wedge, my son and his friends really enjoy the wake to board and surf. Of course dad gets to ski first when I go with them. Consider a tower also.

The room in our Sunsetter is great. To go along with what you mentioned, we have turned into our wake a couple time and took water over the bow. No big deal, that is unless you bildge pump impeller is broke! I had an engine rebuilt and changed the pistons and rods, cam, and went to a four bolt main w/forged crank. It's a small block but there is plenty of power to go to the ACME prop, even with a bildge full of water.

If you are looking at a '95 Sunsetter and have any questions, PM me. I'll be glad to give you all the info I can.

I don't have a lot of seat time the the V drive wakeboard boats to know how they really compare. All the guys in the club are running DD's. But I suppose with a weighted V drive you could take some water over the bow or stern, I just figured with more freeboard you might be less prone to stuff the bow.

On average yes but the VLX nose does dip at the end, but weigh anythign down and it certainly increases the odds it'll happen.

where are you from?

I have an 95 echelon lx . It has the wedge, 5.7 merc. EFI and new skins from malibu (not installed yet). New Impeller last yeat, low hours, rockin stereo, bow cover, stainless cup holders, overall in good condition. Oh yeah the 5.7 runs great and starts every time.

Edited by sauer
  • 2 weeks later...
One thing to remember...from what you are describing in terms of what you are lookin for, you will want a 1995 or newer Sunsetter LX and 1993 or newer Echelon LX.

Why?

The SV23 hull is what put Malibu on the map. That innovation vaulted Malibu from another ski boat company to the level of MC and CC where they now reside. The SV23 hull is the main feature that allowed Malibu to capture several Boat of the Year awards in the mid to late 90's with the Echelon and Response line of boats.