Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Fat Sac/Ballast: Best Placement?

DIE2SURF

I've got an open bow (walk-over) Echelon Direct Drive with a wedge. I've got 2 side sacs approx 300lbs each. Where is the best location to put them for best wake? I normally put one on each side of engine cover, or lay side-by-side across the back (but I have to take out my back seat).

I've heard that weighing down the front of the boat can really make a good wake (bow sac)...but I don't want to send my boat pearling with every duck roller I pass. Any advice on best place to add ballast/weight?

Thanks.

G$

That depends on what you're trying to accomplish.

I just want a bigger wake for wakeboarding and wake surfing. Is there different placement options for each activity? Perhaps I'm misunderstanding your response...

That depends on what you're trying to accomplish.

I just want a bigger wake for wakeboarding and wake surfing. Is there different placement options for each activity? Perhaps I'm misunderstanding your response...

not quite sure on the echelon setup exactly, but in general you are going to want to balance it for wakeboarding, and move everything to one side for surfing.

i'm sure someone with an echelon will chime in with further details....

I use a 4oolb sack in the ski locker with a 750lbs in the rear with the seat up as a sundeck, all pro-x style. This works well for me without the wedge. Put the wedge down for better wake shaping (I have the V style wedge). I like this setup because it gives me lots of room in the boat. The wake isnt going to be close to some of the new boats but for me it works. I am going to buy another 750 by spring and set them up on the sides of the motor or move them as far back as I can with the seat up so I will be able to use my jump seat with this setup, though I will be losing lots of valuable real estate in the small boat. I have seen pictures on wakeworld of echelons with around 2000lbs of ballast and the wake seems quite large. I would think that with that much weight in the boat you would have to exercise caution as to not take on water in certian situations.

we used to have a '94 echelon with a wedge, and it threw a pretty decent wake. I would recomend moving your two side sacs towards the bow and look for some 600-750 lb sacs for the rear. 600# right at the middle of the boat is not super efficient. Good Luck!

if you have the wedge and all that weight in the rear, you'll need something up front ot keep it even. You could move the side engine sacks forward a bit more.

We had a '95 sunsetter and ran 2 x 550s, one on each side of the engine, pushed forward to the back of the driver's seat and equal on the other side (left room for the spotters feet). We also had a smaller 300ish sack in the front walkway. This was a good setup, occasionally I'd try moving the the sacks back and the wake really changed a lot, got smaller, the boat had a harder time out of the hole. Just play with it. Get a bunch of people in the boat and try to move them around to see where you want the weight, then put your sacks there.

if you have the wedge and all that weight in the rear, you'll need something up front ot keep it even. You could move the side engine sacks forward a bit more.

We had a '95 sunsetter and ran 2 x 550s, one on each side of the engine, pushed forward to the back of the driver's seat and equal on the other side (left room for the spotters feet). We also had a smaller 300ish sack in the front walkway. This was a good setup, occasionally I'd try moving the the sacks back and the wake really changed a lot, got smaller, the boat had a harder time out of the hole. Just play with it. Get a bunch of people in the boat and try to move them around to see where you want the weight, then put your sacks there.

DizzyG, we had a very similar set-up on our old 96' Sunsetter which worked really well. We had 350lbs in the ski locker and a 550lber in either side of the V-drive engine compartment.

gjsmith73, if your interested i have my old ballast bags for sale. 2007 launch pad link, qty.1-550lbs with cover, and 350lbs coverless. Send me a PM if you have any questions, thanks.

Hey everyone; thanks so much for the input/advice. I just found the Pro X Series Rear Seat Bottom sac.

http://www.bartswatersports.com/catalog/Wa...ottom/index.asp

It holds 580lbs and will perfectly replace my 'BU rear seat bottom. Now I can still have the crew sit in the rear of the boat. Always hated it when a mongo fat sac took up all the rear room, when observers back there were the same weight. Now I get the best of both worlds. I'll still use my side sacs (250lbs each) on each side of the engine cover. I'll just move them forward or backward until I like the wake.

You are all Ace's in my book.

I've got a 94 Echelon LX and run a fat seat sac in the back (around 900#, capable of 1200#) and a 350# ski locker sac (could prob use a lil more weight around the ski locker/bow). I've gotten kudos on the wake from some boarders that I pulled on the lake late last summer. I'm contemplating getting a side sac for next summer to even out the wake when it's just me and a driver. Unfortunately, I don't have a wedge. You do have to be cautious with how much weight you move to the front - I typically get whoever is up front a lil wet occasionally when rolling around to pick up the downed rider on busy days.

Not sure I could surf behind my boat tho... although I would love to try it.