Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2006 Wakesetter 247 on Craigslist

jtrovato

Check out this wakesetter on craigslist. It's listed at $12,000. The pictures show it in mint condition. It's ridiculous. If you're going to try and scam someone, wouldn't you try to make it at least LOOK like it's a real deal? I emailed the guy and asked where the boat is and why the price is so cheap. We'll see what he says. It's probably in Spain and he'll ship it for free if I just send him a $12,000 check...

http://boston.craigslist.org/nwb/boa/477790519.html

Edited by jtrovato
Check out this wakesetter on craigslist. It's listed at $12,000. The pictures show it in mint condition. It's ridiculous. If you're going to try and scam someone, wouldn't you try to make it at least LOOK like it's a real deal? I emailed the guy and asked where the boat is and why the price is so cheap. We'll see what he says. It's probably in Spain and he'll ship it for free if I just send him a $12,000 check...

http://boston.craigslist.org/nwb/boa/477790519.html

Already gone....

It was on Raleigh's Craigslist as well. Its a scam. Someone even replied on Raleigh's list that said "hey buddy, give it up already, everyone knows this is a scam!" Wish people would stop with all the scams and ID theft and put all that effort into something useful.

got an email back from the guy, which I replied to with a nice email of my own:

Hello,

First of all, do you think I'm an idiot? Do you even have any idea what the "boat" you're trying to sell is worth? Obviously not, because any human being with half a brain would know that this is a scam just based on the price alone. Then you go and throw in the comment "The boat is still with the shipping company (kept in a storage facility) in the US..." and that you "moved out of the country" Great job "Mark." You must get a lot of people to fall for this one. I'm sure you'll offer to ship the boat to me free of charge too. Of course this is after I send you a bank check without ever actually SEEING the boat in person because it's such a good deal and it won't last long. Thanks for giving me another email address to report as internet fraud.

Mark Stewart <[email protected]>

11/14/2007 11:17 AM

To

<xxxxx>

cc

Subject

RE: Malibu on Craigslist

Hello,

First of all thank you for your interest in my boat.

Let me tell you that my boat is in excellent working condition, no scratches, no dents and it has clear title, manuals, and all the original documentation included, which will be delivered along with the boat.

The boat is still with the shipping company(kept in a storage facility) in the US and it's ready to be delivered. I decided to sell my boat for a personal reason which involves also the fact that I have to move out of the country.The price for the boat is $12000.

Mail me soon and let me know if you are interested,

Thank You!

Help yourself to FREE treats served up daily at the Messenger Café. Stop by today!

Edited by jtrovato
got an email back from the guy, which I replied to with a nice email of my own:

Hello,

First of all, do you think I'm an idiot? Do you even have any idea what the "boat" you're trying to sell is worth? Obviously not, because any human being with half a brain would know that this is a scam just based on the price alone. Then you go and throw in the comment "The boat is still with the shipping company (kept in a storage facility) in the US..." and that you "moved out of the country" Great job "Mark." You must get a lot of people to fall for this one. I'm sure you'll offer to ship the boat to me free of charge too. Of course this is after I send you a bank check without ever actually SEEING the boat in person because it's such a good deal and it won't last long. Thanks for giving me another email address to report as internet fraud.

Clap.gif Nice.

Now that you guys mention it, that is really stupid to post an obvious ridiculous price for a scam. At least make it reasonable. Even the naive should not fall for that one.

Guess it works on someone, else they would not keep trying.

I have 10,000 acres lake front property I can sell cheap ($5,000). First one to post their bank account number, gets it! Whistling.gif

Even the naive should not fall for that one.

But people do fall for this stuff, or the scammers wouldn't keep doing it. A fool and his money are soon parted, and parted even faster in the age of the internet.

It seems illogical to me to try to pull this type of scam on such a high price item. I mean, if you are idiot enough to send this guy $12K based on his promise to ship it (which would be the 'next step' in the scam) then are you really going to have that kind of money in an account? Wouldn't you need a bank involved, and the Hull ID numbers, etc. the bank would require?

Try advertising a car for sale these days and see the kind of junk you get from the scammers...it is simply amazing.

So have you guys heard the term "scambaiting"? It's where regular guys like us try to lead on & waste time/resources of the scammers. You basically bait these clowns into a dialog where you make them spend their own time & hopefully money. There is a website called http://www.419eater.com. It's like a hobby for some of these guys.

I have tried to think of a way to lead this guy on. I've got the bogus email account, and have contacted him about the boat (listed in the Seattle CL). He's sent me an official looking email from Ebay. I guess I'm supposed to contact him next to make payment, typically by Western Union. So I'm looking around on the 419eater.com site & one option is to Photoshop a Western Union reciept for the full amount, and possibly email the guy something so it looks all official. I'm sure at this point he'll be thrilled that he's got $12k sitting at the WU office, in which case I'm sure he'll go there, and make an attempt to pick up the cash. He should be pretty frustrated when he's rejected & send me some hate mail.

So have you guys heard the term "scambaiting"? It's where regular guys like us try to lead on & waste time/resources of the scammers. You basically bait these clowns into a dialog where you make them spend their own time & hopefully money. There is a website called <a href="http://www.419eater.com" target="_blank">http://www.419eater.com</a>. It's like a hobby for some of these guys.

I have tried to think of a way to lead this guy on. I've got the bogus email account, and have contacted him about the boat (listed in the Seattle CL). He's sent me an official looking email from Ebay. I guess I'm supposed to contact him next to make payment, typically by Western Union. So I'm looking around on the 419eater.com site & one option is to Photoshop a Western Union reciept for the full amount, and possibly email the guy something so it looks all official. I'm sure at this point he'll be thrilled that he's got $12k sitting at the WU office, in which case I'm sure he'll go there, and make an attempt to pick up the cash. He should be pretty frustrated when he's rejected & send me some hate mail.

If he was smart, he would have browsed all the malibu sites. Hopefully he hasn't signed on here as a spy to read up on this before hand, these types of people should get a worse type of payback. I wish I had the time to try and bate $hit A$$' like that to give them a taste of there own crap, possible jail time in a cell with Bubba sounds good. Man, these people get to me Mad.gif

If he was smart, he would have browsed all the malibu sites. Hopefully he hasn't signed on here as a spy to read up on this before hand, these types of people should get a worse type of payback. I wish I had the time to try and bate $hit A$$' like that to give them a taste of there own crap, possible jail time in a cell with Bubba sounds good. Man, these people get to me Mad.gif

Reading thru the forums on the 419 site & we don't have to worry about them getting too smart. Apparantly a major portion of the scams come out of Nigeria. And their vision is so clouded by the thought of money, they almost have no common sense. These guys are leading the scammers on wild goose chases. Some of the stories are hilarious.

Even the naive should not fall for that one.

But people do fall for this stuff, or the scammers wouldn't keep doing it. A fool and his money are soon parted, and parted even faster in the age of the internet.

I agree. Sad but true.

Reading thru the forums on the 419 site & we don't have to worry about them getting too smart. Apparantly a major portion of the scams come out of Nigeria. And their vision is so clouded by the thought of money, they almost have no common sense. These guys are leading the scammers on wild goose chases. Some of the stories are hilarious.

I know what you mean, I almost got it with a girl from Russia. Man she really played it off, it was about a 6 month long interent exchange with some phone calls that didn't come through very clear and letters and pictures of each other. Blah, Blah. Which in the end finding out it wasn't her, but the effort was so huge on her part I didn't think anyone would go through that much time for such little money. And the money was to get her into the USA, yeah right that was just the beginning of reeling someone in.

These types of scams are hard to believe from the beggining, so it strikes my odd that people would be that stupid.

I just read through one of those scambaiter things on the 419 site and it was great! This guy had some scammer from Nigeria going back and forth on email for almost an entire year. The guy actually made a lifesize wood carving of the "scamee's" head and mailed it to him in the UK. Then he made a short production video clip for him, all to supposedly get a payment for the work he performed. Man these guys are dumb. I just spent about 2 hours reading through the chain of emails from this one scam.