Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Response LX vs LXi

Etch32

Hello, I've been lurking/researching for a while now. I've got my sights on a Response but am trying to decide between an LXi and LX. I've skied an 06 and 07 LXi and think I noticed a slight wake improvement (softer, flatter) with the 07 which has the newer cut diamond hull (I skied them different days about 2 weeks apart so I could've imagined it). I've haven't been able to locate an LX locally to demo so I'm looking for impressions from those of you who have skied behind both an LX and LXi.

I ski mainly at 15off, 32mph (free ski, can't do the course at that speed) but want something which will still be kind when I progress to 22off. I believe the LX still has S23VD (not cut diamond) hull? Even for 07/08 models. Is that correct? Because the LX is narrower (~3.5") and lighter (~300#), I think it may have a slightly smaller wake? Any impressions of LX (please specify year-range if there was a hull change) vs pre-07 LXi vs 07/08 LXi would be much appreciated!

Also if you have any information on major changes (especially to the hull) for LX from 2000 to present, I'd appreciate that. I can find several low-hour 2000-2003 LX's (again not locally) and wonder if they'd perform the same as newer models.

TIA!

Thanks for the pointer. I noticed for the RLX that in 2005 the draft changed from 16" to 22". Everything else remained the same. How would draft affect the wake characteristics?

If you're looking from 2000-current, the changes will be features, options, cosmetics, and HP. The draft is the same, just more accurately listed at 22". Though I can't imagine who would make a big deal out of the 16" being wrong. . . Whistling.gif

If you're looking from 2000-current, the changes will be features, options, cosmetics, and HP. The draft is the same, just more accurately listed at 22". Though I can't imagine who would make a big deal out of the 16" being wrong. . . Whistling.gif

Probably someone who has 18" of water to deal with.

You KNEW I'd bite didn't you.

The last big fight that Doug and Tommy had. Tommy thought that the draft was much closer to the old stated 16"..... whereas I (and some others) thought that the 22" was much more accurate (AND, would be very important to folks with low water and docks etc etc etc.) I challenged Tommy to measure his draft and report. Tommy didn'y like being challenged..... and worse still....hated being wrong..... and oh no, sometimes folks have a hard time of admitting the evidence even when it's right in front of them.

Hello, I've been lurking/researching for a while now. I've got my sights on a Response but am trying to decide between an LXi and LX. I've skied an 06 and 07 LXi and think I noticed a slight wake improvement (softer, flatter) with the 07 which has the newer cut diamond hull (I skied them different days about 2 weeks apart so I could've imagined it). I've haven't been able to locate an LX locally to demo so I'm looking for impressions from those of you who have skied behind both an LX and LXi.

I ski mainly at 15off, 32mph (free ski, can't do the course at that speed) but want something which will still be kind when I progress to 22off. I believe the LX still has S23VD (not cut diamond) hull? Even for 07/08 models. Is that correct? Because the LX is narrower (~3.5") and lighter (~300#), I think it may have a slightly smaller wake? Any impressions of LX (please specify year-range if there was a hull change) vs pre-07 LXi vs 07/08 LXi would be much appreciated!

Also if you have any information on major changes (especially to the hull) for LX from 2000 to present, I'd appreciate that. I can find several low-hour 2000-2003 LX's (again not locally) and wonder if they'd perform the same as newer models.

TIA!

I split my time between an '05 response (CB) and an '05 lxi. Extremely similar. I have said before that the lxi wake felt slightly harder, but they're both sweet. I think lxi tracks slightly better. Neither will hold you back. Just an interesting note, Jamie Beaschesne broke the world record behind a response this summer, and that hull design has remained unchanged for 9 years!

The last big fight that Doug and Tommy had. Tommy thought that the draft was much closer to the old stated 16"..... whereas I (and some others) thought that the 22" was much more accurate (AND, would be very important to folks with low water and docks etc etc etc.) I challenged Tommy to measure his draft and report. Tommy didn'y like being challenged..... and worse still....hated being wrong..... and oh no, sometimes folks have a hard time of admitting the evidence even when it's right in front of them.

Hey, wait a minute, I think I started that rumble--even asked Tracie to take pictures at a mid-winter boat show!!! :)

From January, 2005

I split my time between an '05 response (CB) and an '05 lxi. Extremely similar. I have said before that the lxi wake felt slightly harder, but they're both sweet. I think lxi tracks slightly better. Neither will hold you back. Just an interesting note, Jamie Beaschesne broke the world record behind a response this summer, and that hull design has remained unchanged for 9 years!

I see I've opened up some old wounds with my draft question :)

Thanks JohnDoe for your impressions. Has anyone else been behind both for a comparison?

Hey, wait a minute, I think I started that rumble--even asked Tracie to take pictures at a mid-winter boat show!!! :)

From January, 2005

You're correct.... you started the on-line fistacuff..... I jumped in late..... I challenged Tommy to a real measurement test..... (with MBO getting $20 from the "loser"), but Tommy never accepted..... just promised to measure in the spring and report. He never did (to my knowledge)..... and he's gone. Im sure he didn't leave The Crew rather than lose a bet......

i'm certainly not an expert and i can barely remember yesterday (but i keep forgetting that).

i've been behind sunrises' lxi several times. sweet ride, excellent wake.

just like you would expect at some line lenghts and / or speeds one is better than the other.

which is better depends on which one you were behind when you pulled your pb.

for what it's worth i like the response barefoot wakes much better than the lxi.

lxi bf wake is not a big problem by any means but the response bf wake rocks.

From January, 2005

That was a pretty amusing thread. I haven't seen banter like that for awhile.