Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Is the ACME 1235 too much for anyone?

lib135

Great site - I just joined!

I have a Sunscape 23 XLV with the 8.1 engine and a badly dinged up Acme 537 prop...it has been repaired several times, but it is time to replace it.

We board and ski, no ballast...Illusion X tower.

I know this post is late to party, but what is the current "best" prop for this boat? I am not really thrilled with the overall performance of the 537 - it's ok, but the hole shot is not great. It does tend to cavitate when pushed hard.

We also like to cruise, but from a performance point of view, pulling is our number one issue - I'll give up top end cause I never run WOT...

I've seen lots of discussion about the Acme 1235, but that was 2 years ago....what about the OJ 475?

Any thoughts/experiences/opinions are welcome!

Also, any pointers on where to purchase/GBs, etc.

Randy

[email protected]

A 475 cavitated less on my boat than the 537

Anyone have experience with the Acme 1237 (13.5") or Acme 1273 (14.5")?

I have a Sunscape 23 XLV with the 8.1 engine and a badly dinged up Acme 537 prop...it has been repaired several times, but it is time to replace it.

I know this post is late to party, but what is the current "best" prop for this boat? I am not really thrilled with the overall performance of the 537 - it's ok, but the hole shot is not great. It does tend to cavitate when pushed hard.

We also like to cruise, but from a performance point of view, pulling is our number one issue - I'll give up top end cause I never run WOT...

I've seen lots of discussion about the Acme 1235, but that was 2 years ago....what about the OJ 475?

Randy

[email protected]

Anyone have experience with the Acme 1237 (13.5") or Acme 1273 (14.5")?

I have a 1273 that I bought as a spare on my vtx , I would top out about 41-42 gps but lots of rooster tail at that speed , with just my family I dont need all the bottom end , but the extra cup does help keep you off the limiter , and the top end up , I would say the only draw back is the rooster tail at higher speeds.

Randy

[email protected]

Edited by 5oclocksomewhere

I have the 1273 on an 07 with the HH and it is a good match for us. we are at 1250 elevation and surf more the wakeboard but GPS put me at 47.5 @ 5000 with a light crew and low on gas (it drinks the stuff now).

What about the 1589 or 1591??

Ok here's the deal on the handling. I was with 3 other people besides myself, which is normal for me. Anyways with the 1235 I noticed the boat listing to the starboard side under acceleration, something I never noticed with the 537 even when I put it back on the next day and went back out. I also noticed the boat was more sensitive to wieght placement, something I also bragged about before that it wasn't much of an issue with the vlx compared to my last boat. Keep in mind these tests were done on a camping trip so these were concurent tests with similar water conditions. Point is that several days didn't go by before I swapped back to the 537 to try things out. I'm not sure what the deal was but I wasn't impressed. For me the 1235 doesn't work very well I lost way to much top end. With the 537 I could cruise at 4K at 38-40mph, with the 1235 to go 40mph I was pegged at 5300 rpm.

Goose-

do you think the 475 is any different, I know there is a slight cupping difference.

06, it your not in a hurry and going to finish off the season with the 537 then you can try my OJ 475 once it is fixed. It has a ding and I don't see getting it fixed until fall at the soonest until I have some spare $$.

Does anyone else think that the ACME 1235 can sometimes be a little too much? My Top end speed is only about 41-42 and my RPMs are sky high just to cruise around. I feel the like gas I am saving for holeshot I am losing getting to our riding spot(s), 5-10 min ride away. Also, I am noticing that when I first hit the gas, the boat seems to spin in place for a sec or 2 before the boat actually takes off. I just feel like I have too much power/torque? Anyone else agree or disagree. This is typically with full ballast/wedge and about 8 people in the boat.

Has anyone tried the ACME 1433? It is only a ½” smaller diameter (14”) than the 1235 with the same pitch (14.25) and cup (.105). I am looking for a prop in between the 537 and 1235.

Does anyone else think that the ACME 1235 can sometimes be a little too much? My Top end speed is only about 41-42 and my RPMs are sky high just to cruise around. I feel the like gas I am saving for holeshot I am losing getting to our riding spot(s), 5-10 min ride away. Also, I am noticing that when I first hit the gas, the boat seems to spin in place for a sec or 2 before the boat actually takes off. I just feel like I have too much power/torque? Anyone else agree or disagree. This is typically with full ballast/wedge and about 8 people in the boat.

Has anyone tried the ACME 1433? It is only a ½” smaller diameter (14”) than the 1235 with the same pitch (14.25) and cup (.105). I am looking for a prop in between the 537 and 1235.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 247LSV with the 8.1 and I love the 1235 prop for my higher elevation. I got way better hole shot and handling and only lost about 5 mph top speed. My 537 was just painful with full balast and 8 people in the boat when surfing.

• 3 weeks later...

I lucked out... My sister hit a submerged tree trunks about 2 ft under the surface. chunked the prop. Had about 1200$ worth of damage. had in insurance pay for it. I upgraded the prop to the acme 1235 with no extra charge on my part =) Coudlnt be happier.

• 7 years later...

This looks to be an older out-dated thread but I looked just a bit ago on our 08 23' lsv and it has a 1235. The guy inbought my boat from is an RD engineer at Malibu. The boat has the 340 monsoon motor. At WOT we are at 42-44. Of course we don't do that. When we do cruise it's at 28-30. 25-28 when the wife is driving. We have been hit with the surfing sensation. So we load up 14ppl and set it at 10.8 and play all day and night. With the kids ages 3-5. They usually last til 2 or 3am. Then we have to put the boat up cause I'm tired by that time