Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

SEAT SKINS WERE DO I GET THEM

Chee Mauo. He works in the upholstery dept at Malibu. He has templates and will make skins for any boat that dealers/Malibu no longer carry (over 7 years old if I remember right). If you search for Chee's name, you will find quite a few threads and contact information for one or two people at the Malibu factory who will put you in touch with him. There are several members who have had skins done by Chee and I've yet to see anyone post anything bad about them. Check out this thread.

Edit:Correct thread link to lower post.

Edited by weinrdog
  • 3 weeks later...

Chee made several skins for the 95 Sunsetter we used to have. He does good work and the skins matched just like factory.

I just had my dealer,Central Florida Boating Center, redo my entire interior. They ordered the skins and carpet from the Tennesee plant. It took two months for them to make. It looks like brand new.They told me that because my boat is more than 7 years old that one of the upholstery guys did this as a side job at home and that is why it took so long. Some people know the story about my ex-wife pouring blue paint all over the interior. I'm glad that saga is over and I got my boat back last Friday. Just in time for the 4th of July. It sure felt good to be in my boat again after 1 yr with no boat.

I just had my dealer,Central Florida Boating Center, redo my entire interior. They ordered the skins and carpet from the Tennesee plant. It took two months for them to make. It looks like brand new.They told me that because my boat is more than 7 years old that one of the upholstery guys did this as a side job at home and that is why it took so long. Some people know the story about my ex-wife pouring blue paint all over the interior. I'm glad that saga is over and I got my boat back last Friday. Just in time for the 4th of July. It sure felt good to be in my boat again after 1 yr with no boat.

Bet it was Chee who made your seat skins. I'm going to have him make the rest of my seat skins to have on hand. The rear seat skin he made was just like the original and fit like a glove.

I'm thinking about having my two rear bottom seat cushions re-done. They're kinda large to ship. Is that how you guys are sending the seats? Just pack them up in a huge box and ship them?

im glad this post started back up I CANNOT LOCATE THIS PERSON CHEE i went back to the arcives and still no REAL anser i just want new skins HELP HELP HELP HELP were oh were cand i find him

im glad this post started back up I CANNOT LOCATE THIS PERSON CHEE i went back to the arcives and still no REAL anser i just want new skins HELP HELP HELP HELP were oh were cand i find him

I'll pm you his phone cell number.......

I'm thinking about having my two rear bottom seat cushions re-done. They're kinda large to ship. Is that how you guys are sending the seats? Just pack them up in a huge box and ship them?

I just had Chee make the skins. The wife and myself put them on. I bought a electric stapler from home depot and stainless staples. Very easy to replace.....

Thanks Bob,

The actual thing I've got wrong is that I had these two seat skins replaced by an upholstery shop. For some reason they replaced the foam and I'm sure they didn't use the good dual density foam and now when I sit on them I can feel the bottom plastic board. What I really need is the foam replaced and the skins that are on them re-used, if that's possible.

Quick question for you guys who have replaced a skin with a Malibu replacement. Have you noticed any difference in color due to sun fade of the older cushoins in the boat? IE, if you just replace the skin on one seat, will it match the other seats that have had a few years of sun exposure?

Quick question for you guys who have replaced a skin with a Malibu replacement. Have you noticed any difference in color due to sun fade of the older cushoins in the boat? IE, if you just replace the skin on one seat, will it match the other seats that have had a few years of sun exposure?

That's a great question vette-ski! I would like to know that answer too. My '94 is all original and everything looks good except the observer's seat bottom (cooler lid) which is splitting at the seams, the top section of back seat back (general wear and tear and a run in w/ a portable slalom course... rope burned seats are NOT cool), and the motorbox (the infamous Racoon festival). I've thought about ordering just what I need but am afraid that they wouldn't match...

Feedback would be appreciated by at least two of us! Thanks!

Edited by h2oskibumz

I've replaced most of mine on the 2000 lxi over 2 year period and do not see any appreciable difference in color. Mine were cream and tan. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised and BTW you can just order the skins and put them on yourself, no big deal.

I've replaced most of mine on the 2000 lxi over 2 year period and do not see any appreciable difference in color. Mine were cream and tan. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised and BTW you can just order the skins and put them on yourself, no big deal.

Thanks smoothie... that advice helps. I was worried about just doing a piece or two as 80% of my interior is still very passable (at least for a boat in the midst of it's 14th season of abuse...) If it were not for my run in w/ the racoons I could probably get by with a new skin for the observer's base and the "cup warmer" piece at the back of the motor box... The rear seat is just something that since I damaged w/ my own stupidity I want to fix. As for the racoons... well, what can one say, free indoor storage sometimes isn't always free...

Based on your comments (and lots of other reading here) I've contacted Ellery and she has promised to relay my info to Chee.

Edited by h2oskibumz

I have a 94 Echelon, had Chee make up the observers seat bottom (same seam split as above) and since I really like the newer drivers seat, had Chee make me one. I sent him my VIN for the boat and tried to describe what I thought I would like as a seat pattern. He indicated he couldn't make exactly what I asked for but could make something very nice. So with a leap of faith and the obligatory "go ahead and surprise me" option I sent off my $$$. When the box arrived and I opened it up, I was very pleasantly surprised, he hit a home run with the design. My particular boat has a custom interior and paint scheme and he matched it perfectly, that is why he has his job and the rest of us don't. He can determine what each boat has from the VIN. The new seat blends in great, a very slight color difference, but only I can tell if I really look hard. Sunshine actually bleaches out and keeps the material color pretty consistent. I think Malibu owners are very lucky to have that option available to them, it is a great service. If you call Malibu, they will give you his number. Again, he hit it out of the park for me.

• 1 year later...
  • 10 months later...
Could someone please message me with Chee's contact information???

Thanks. :)

Has anyone used or contacted Chee Mauo for new skins this summer 2009? I have a 1999 Sunsetter LXI for which I need a new rear bench seat skin if at all possible. Any info would be appreciated.

I have Chee can be reached at:

Could someone please message me with Chee's contact information???

Thanks. :)

Has anyone used or contacted Chee Mauo for new skins this summer 2009? I have a 1999 Sunsetter LXI for which I need a new rear bench seat skin if at all possible. Any info would be appreciated.

I'd love to see pictures of your Echelon. I'm restoring mine right now.

I have a 94 Echelon, had Chee make up the observers seat bottom (same seam split as above) and since I really like the newer drivers seat, had Chee make me one. I sent him my VIN for the boat and tried to describe what I thought I would like as a seat pattern. He indicated he couldn't make exactly what I asked for but could make something very nice. So with a leap of faith and the obligatory "go ahead and surprise me" option I sent off my $$$. When the box arrived and I opened it up, I was very pleasantly surprised, he hit a home run with the design. My particular boat has a custom interior and paint scheme and he matched it perfectly, that is why he has his job and the rest of us don't. He can determine what each boat has from the VIN. The new seat blends in great, a very slight color difference, but only I can tell if I really look hard. Sunshine actually bleaches out and keeps the material color pretty consistent. I think Malibu owners are very lucky to have that option available to them, it is a great service. If you call Malibu, they will give you his number. Again, he hit it out of the park for me.