Welcome to TheMalibuCrew.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today! For additional perks, please consider supporting this community. Click here for more information.
Photo

Trailer Brake Fluid - How often do you check it?

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

Poll: Trailer Brake Fluid Checks (129 member(s) have cast votes)

How often do you check it?

1. Never / haven't checked it yet (45 votes [34.35%])

Percentage of vote: 34.35%

2. Once a year (32 votes [24.43%])

Percentage of vote: 24.43%

3. A couple of times a season (25 votes [19.08%])

Percentage of vote: 19.08%

4. Monthly (during season) (20 votes [15.27%])

Percentage of vote: 15.27%

5. Weekly (during season) (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

6. Every time I tow the boat (9 votes [6.87%])

Percentage of vote: 6.87%

Vote Guests cannot vote

smedman

smedman
  • Spotter Extraordinaire
  • 426 posts
  • Joined February 15, 2006
  • Boat: V-Ride 06
My trailer hitch is etched with instructions saying to check the brake fluid before towing. I'm curious if people do this and how often?

Edited by smedman, June 05, 2007 - 07:08 AM.

vlx wakesetter

vlx wakesetter
  • A Decent Third
  • 336 posts
  • Joined November 15, 2006
  • Boat: VLX wakesetter
Even though I go out every weekend I know it only takes two seconds to pop off the master cylinder cover and look to see where the fluid is. This is part of my checklist that I will always perform therefor it's one less thing I have to worry about.

Malibudude

Malibudude
  • Administrator
  • 14,150 posts
  • Joined March 21, 2005
  • Boat: Silver Edition VLX
We (I) check it once a month but it really depends how much your boat is trailered a few miles or few hundred miles. Iíve only had to add fluid once in 7 years.

Rod S

Rod S
  • Crew Regular
  • 177 posts
  • Joined April 20, 2005
  • Boat: 99 RLX Wakesurf Pro
I check it once a year in the spring. I don't trailer much. I do change out the fluid every few years as it aborbs water and you can tell when it starts looking a little brown.

dlb

dlb
  • Crew Devotee
  • 1,057 posts
  • Joined April 13, 2005
  • Boat: 2002 Wakesetter LSV
I check it every time now. I checked it after winter layup one spring and it was dry. Posted Image Worth the peace of mind.

Edited by dlb, June 05, 2007 - 03:21 PM.

scfdfireman

scfdfireman
  • Crew Regular
  • 176 posts
  • Joined June 06, 2006
  • Boat: 2006 V-Ride
I check the brake fluid at the beginning of each season, and flush it with new fluid (before storing the bu) at the end of the season... Brake fluid is hygroscopic (it adsorbs moisture) and causes corrosion in the master cylinder, tubing and wheel cylinders or calipers if it's flushed regularly. Just the nature of boating encourages moisture adsorption by the fluid...

wienrdog

wienrdog
  • Crew Devotee
  • 1,263 posts
  • Joined January 03, 2006
  • Boat: '01 SSLXi
Think you missed a 'not' in there....

causes corrosion in the master cylinder, tubing and wheel cylinders or calipers if it's NOT flushed regularly.

Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete
  • Waaaaay Too Many
  • 7,991 posts
  • Joined April 06, 2005
  • Boat: No need w/the friends I have.
All you guys should really be using DOT 5 fluid. It's synthetic and does not absorb water like DOT 1-4 will and it has a much higher boiling point. You can get it at Winchester Auto parts. It is pricey but, my superb D.H.M. trailer came with it standard. I know Extreme only uses cheap-o Dot 3.

Arkid

Arkid
  • Deck Hand
  • 218 posts
  • Joined June 04, 2006
  • Boat: 2000 Escape LSV

I check the brake fluid at the beginning of each season, and flush it with new fluid (before storing the bu) at the end of the season... Brake fluid is hygroscopic (it adsorbs moisture) and causes corrosion in the master cylinder, tubing and wheel cylinders or calipers if it's flushed regularly. Just the nature of boating encourages moisture adsorption by the fluid...

So for us dummies.... How do we flush? :blush:

wienrdog

wienrdog
  • Crew Devotee
  • 1,263 posts
  • Joined January 03, 2006
  • Boat: '01 SSLXi
Depends on the actuator & what type of brakes you have....

For most of the 'bu trailers, they use a UFP actuator & here's the bleeding instructions from their site.

UFP Brake Bleed

scfdfireman

scfdfireman
  • Crew Regular
  • 176 posts
  • Joined June 06, 2006
  • Boat: 2006 V-Ride
Sorry about the typo on the previous message ... Flushing the fluid can be done several ways, either pushing fresh fluid or pulling fresh fluid. I have a pressure bleeder so after sucking out the old fluid with a bulb suction device, I put an adapter on the master cylinder and open the wheel cylinders (starting at the farthest first) and flush until clear fluid appears. If you don't have a pressure bleeder, you can pull the old fluid out with a small hand held vacuum pump with a plastic canister (available at auto parts stores for $25.00). Do each wheel cylinder at a time (starting at the farthest first) and the fresh fluid will be sucked into the pump. Just remember to keep the master cylinder full during the process or air will enter the system. The type 5 fluid is great for brake systems with stainless steel components, but I believe the type 3 or 4 fluid actually helps to keep the moisture away from the vulnerable steel parts of non-stainless systems.

woody

woody
  • Crew Devotee
  • 1,130 posts
  • Joined May 01, 2005
  • Boat: 05 VLX

All you guys should really be using DOT 5 fluid. It's synthetic and does not absorb water like DOT 1-4 will and it has a much higher boiling point. You can get it at Winchester Auto parts. It is pricey but, my superb D.H.M. trailer came with it standard. I know Extreme only uses cheap-o Dot 3.

Pete... Will you buy me some DOT 5 fluid for my extreme trailer? Posted Image

Oh... I look the entire trailer over monthly, including the fluid.

D-GOOSE

D-GOOSE
  • Waaaaay Too Many
  • 5,247 posts
  • Joined April 19, 2005
  • Boat: 2003 wakesetter VLX
  • Boat House View Boat House

Sorry about the typo on the previous message ... Flushing the fluid can be done several ways, either pushing fresh fluid or pulling fresh fluid. I have a pressure bleeder so after sucking out the old fluid with a bulb suction device, I put an adapter on the master cylinder and open the wheel cylinders (starting at the farthest first) and flush until clear fluid appears. If you don't have a pressure bleeder, you can pull the old fluid out with a small hand held vacuum pump with a plastic canister (available at auto parts stores for $25.00). Do each wheel cylinder at a time (starting at the farthest first) and the fresh fluid will be sucked into the pump. Just remember to keep the master cylinder full during the process or air will enter the system. The type 5 fluid is great for brake systems with stainless steel components, but I believe the type 3 or 4 fluid actually helps to keep the moisture away from the vulnerable steel parts of non-stainless systems.

Posted Image Just flushed my system last week with and used about 3 quarts. I know it was a over kill but had the time and fluid.

Pete put me down on the list with woody. Posted Image

99response

99response
  • Seeking A Life
  • 2,736 posts
  • Joined April 26, 2005
  • Boat: boatless!
I check/fill it everytime I buy another boat pretty much...

NorCaliBu

NorCaliBu
  • Waaaaay Too Many
  • 6,370 posts
  • Joined April 08, 2005
  • Boat: Small and Fast
  • Boat House View Boat House

I check/fill it everytime I buy another boat pretty much...

So that's what???...2-3 times a year. :lol:

Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete
  • Waaaaay Too Many
  • 7,991 posts
  • Joined April 06, 2005

Hey guys,
It's no joke Posted Image
Both of you guys should know how caustic brake fluid is. I've had two separate leaks around my surge brake unit that would have caused major paint and hull damage to the tow vehicle and boat if it were not for the synthetic fluid. (leaks thanks to UPF, not D.H.M. trailers you know)

I have about 3 cans on hand at all times at the house (back ups for the back ups). They're about $15 a can for about a half a pint. I don't even run this stuff in my motorcycles, only the trailer.

Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete
  • Waaaaay Too Many
  • 7,991 posts
  • Joined April 06, 2005

Posted Image Just flushed my system last week with and used about 3 quarts. I know it was a over kill but had the time and fluid.

Pete put me down on the list with woody. Posted Image

If you did it right, it would have only taken one qt. Posted Image
And, don't get me started about how much free time you have... Posted Image

woody

woody
  • Crew Devotee
  • 1,130 posts
  • Joined May 01, 2005
  • Boat: 05 VLX

Hey guys,
It's no joke Posted Image
Both of you guys should know how caustic brake fluid is. I've had two separate leaks around my surge brake unit that would have caused major paint and hull damage to the tow vehicle and boat if it were not for the synthetic fluid. (leaks thanks to UPF, not D.H.M. trailers you know)

I have about 3 cans on hand at all times at the house (back ups for the back ups). They're about $15 a can for about a half a pint. I don't even run this stuff in my motorcycles, only the trailer.

Your exactly right... Brake fluid is so caustic. It will eat the paint off anything.

electricjohn

electricjohn
  • Crew Devotee
  • 1,959 posts
  • Joined November 26, 2005
  • Boat: 03 Rlxi, 70 Winner

Is there any compatability problems with seals, hoses, or metals if someone was to convert to DOT-5.

Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete
  • Waaaaay Too Many
  • 7,991 posts
  • Joined April 06, 2005
No,
But, you can only go up in the DOT range, not down. Meaning if you go to DOT 5, you gotta stay with it not, convert back down.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users