Welcome to TheMalibuCrew.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

MasterCraft's Gen 2 Surf System in action

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

TenTwentyOne

TenTwentyOne
  • Spotter Extraordinaire
  • 491 posts
  • Joined May 06, 2011

I'm not sure.

You telling me that many MC dealers can give a 2014 loaded X-30 for 100K?

Loaded? No..... The 7.4l, And power tower would put it way over that. If it had pro pack, surf pack, 6.2l, upgraded stereo, and maybe underwater lights...... Yes, easily had for 100k.

A spec like above will MSRP at about 128k. Using a very conservative MSRP multiplier of .80, which is an "average" deal on an MC, you would have a price of 102k. A smokin deal on an MC would be a .75 multiplier, and would take some serious negotiation. However, that would put the price at 96k. Most guys end up paying between those two multipliers, so the quote should have been between 96 and 102, on a boat like that.

DocPhil

DocPhil
  • Crew Devotee
  • 1,943 posts
  • Joined July 27, 2013
  • Boat: hunting

The guys around here weren't even coming close to that.

It would have been a tougher decision for me if it were less than 100K but I still probably would have went with the Bu

I don't trust this new MC surf system at all and the stock surf wake with surf gate on the LSV is insane

inlandlaker

inlandlaker
  • Seeking A Life
  • 2,459 posts
  • Joined July 07, 2009
  • Boat: 2006 RLXI
Boat House View Boat House

The guys around here weren't even coming close to that.

It would have been a tougher decision for me if it were less than 100K but I still probably would have went with the Bu

I don't trust this new MC surf system at all and the stock surf wake with surf gate on the LSV is insane

I know the guys of whom you speak.  They are awfully expensive.  

TenTwentyOne

TenTwentyOne
  • Spotter Extraordinaire
  • 491 posts
  • Joined May 06, 2011
They both have a great surf wake. But ya, who knows what MC gen II is actually going to be like. Surf gate is already proven, and the new 23 is awesome.

I can't pass judgement based on those phone videos. There isn't a rider, poor video quality, and a high angle is hard to judge anything. The high RPM seems a bit odd, but that is probably just due to an improperly sized prop on one of the MC test boats. Who knows..... I will reserve judgement till I ride it.

If you ever price an MC again, just remember that multiplier rule. It has been the same for years and years. If the dealer isn't coming close to that, price it somewhere else. Or just buy another Bu.

DocPhil

DocPhil
  • Crew Devotee
  • 1,943 posts
  • Joined July 27, 2013

They both have a great surf wake. But ya, who knows what MC gen II is actually going to be like. Surf gate is already proven, and the new 23 is awesome.

I can't pass judgement based on those phone videos. There isn't a rider, poor video quality, and a high angle is hard to judge anything. The high RPM seems a bit odd, but that is probably just due to an improperly sized prop on one of the MC test boats. Who knows..... I will reserve judgement till I ride it.

If you ever price an MC again, just remember that multiplier rule. It has been the same for years and years. If the dealer isn't coming close to that, price it somewhere else. Or just buy another Bu.

I will remember that.  Thanks.

I agree about the Gen 2 system as well.  It is simply not proven yet.  Who knows?  Time will tell.

As for pricing it elsewhere, I don't think that is possible.

Unless you buy a used MC....

nyryan2001

nyryan2001
  • Spam Happy
  • 3,277 posts
  • Joined January 27, 2011
I'm not sure it was a high angle in that video.... Fairly sure it's not. For a split second in that video you can see that they have the rear corner rubrail right and the water line while underway... That boat had a lot of weight in in... That along with then 3800rpms suggests that boat was at or near the upper limit of its capability. That was a 15ft knee high wave at best by my calibrated eyeballs.
  • DocPhil likes this

TenTwentyOne

TenTwentyOne
  • Spotter Extraordinaire
  • 491 posts
  • Joined May 06, 2011

Ya...... I can't tell anything without somebody back there riding. The angle is kinda hard to tell as well. It looks to be just from somebody shooting while standing in the boat. As for the RPM in that particular video, I wouldn't really guess that it has much weight. It is an X25, and there isn't much room in the rear storage for any serious weight. You can only fit about 1200 lbs in the back of an X25, maxed out, including the hard tanks..... because of the flip up seats. That plus the 350lbs up front, isn't a ton of weight. Unless they have changed the hard tank capacity since 2012.

DocPhil

DocPhil
  • Crew Devotee
  • 1,943 posts
  • Joined July 27, 2013

Ya...... I can't tell anything without somebody back there riding. The angle is kinda hard to tell as well. It looks to be just from somebody shooting while standing in the boat. As for the RPM in that particular video, I wouldn't really guess that it has much weight. It is an X25, and there isn't much room in the rear storage for any serious weight. You can only fit about 1200 lbs in the back of an X25, maxed out, including the hard tanks..... because of the flip up seats. That plus the 350lbs up front, isn't a ton of weight. Unless they have changed the hard tank capacity since 2012.

Yes, but the X46 and the X30 vids looked like garb too.

https://www.youtube..../WakeflotRussia

Plus, I find it funny that MC had this dealer take the videos down.  Or, that is the impression I got reading some Team Talk threads.  I'm sure they want to release their own produced videos with sweet looking waves.

So, on January second, we will have some sweet looking wakes from MC produced vids and we will have some home vids from a phone that look like garb.

And we still won't know what it is like.  As usual, it's gonna take time and real world reviews.  

I can't wait for some crew members to demo MC Gen 2, Flow and Swell and post some legit reviews.  

Edited by DocPhilMD, December 22, 2013 - 05:25 PM.

Nitrousbird

Nitrousbird
  • Spam Happy
  • 4,202 posts
  • Joined July 31, 2011
  • Boat: 2001 Sunsetter VLX LS1
Boat House View Boat House

You may not get it but your opinion doesn't make a brand. Plenty of people love the brand for a variety of reasons. I agree with some of the things you said, but in general the brand does a lot of things well. Pricing is comparable to the other big 2, quality is IMHO better than malibu, styling is subjective, marketing is far superior than any other brand, historically mastercraft has been one of the innovators, they have a lot of history, wakes on some models are world class, surfing they definitely dropped the ball on. On and on.

Pricing is NOT comparable, from what I've seen posted everywhere and at the local boat show.

I hate marketing and most miss the boat on me as a consumer. Styling of anything is subjective, but I'm pretty sure I'm in the majority in my opinion. History doesn't mean much when they have done nothing innovative in years. What wakes do they make that are "world class?" The X-star, their overpriced flagship, is a freaking joke. The wake isn't all that impressive for a 24' boat at its price point, with an interior of a 21' boat. All the while looking funny and costing more than any other wake boat ever made. IMO Nautique has the biggest wake trophy with the G series and the X-star is a 100% flop/joke in comparison (and I'm not a Nautique fan by any means).

To take an unbiased view, I had my wife go through the Mastercraft, Malibu, Nautique and Supra displays at the Cinncy boat shows. She liked the Malibu and Supras the best (with no knowledge of price). She hated the Mastercraft and Nautique styling; the Nautique for the dash, fake teak and stupid graphics. The Mastercraft for the awful towers and interior styling. I had no arguments to any of her points. Of course the Mastercraft dealer had the typical Mastercraft attitude to go with it...oddly the Mastercraft owners I have met have never had that dealer attitude.

mrnate450r

mrnate450r
  • Beyond Help
  • 896 posts
  • Joined June 10, 2012
  • Boat: 2014 23 LSV

A fully loaded 23LSV with a trailer runs $143,000 MSRP...... Not so cheap anymore. Great boat though.

$143,000 would have to be every single option including the LSA and a blinged out trailer. I ordered mine nicely equipped with the LS3 and my MSRP was substantially lower. I wonder if base prices and options are different regionally?

TenTwentyOne

TenTwentyOne
  • Spotter Extraordinaire
  • 491 posts
  • Joined May 06, 2011

$143,000 would have to be every single option including the LSA and a blinged out trailer. I ordered mine nicely equipped with the LS3 and my MSRP was substantially lower. I wonder if base prices and options are different regionally?

That is exactly what it was. Lots of flake, LSA, almost every single option, and a fairly blinged out trailer.

nyryan2001

nyryan2001
  • Spam Happy
  • 3,277 posts
  • Joined January 27, 2011
I think a few things have plagued MC over the last 5yrs:

1. They've been riding the laurels of the brand buzz and loyalty they built up 2000-2010, where they truly were a top performer and arguably some of the best wakeboats... This is where your $10-20k premium comes from.

2. No surf system. Too much reliance on the flagship Xstar and what it could do, all the other models were just on par performance wise with the other top 5. No innovation.

3. Power tower mishaps and Xstar late to production issues. Damaged the MC name.

4. Clown show stupid looking boats they let out of the factory and how that damages the MC name. Ridiculous color schemes solely to be obnoxious. Some owners don't want to be associated with that, it's embarrassing.

5. Hedging all bets on the 25 yr old Rockstar sponsored flat bill customer. All marketing was geared towards this kid, and turned off a lot of folks looking for grown up boats and a company that itself acts grown up. Zero conservatism.

6. Obnoxious arrogant dealers whose attitude is if you can scratch up $95k for this X25, you might be lucky enough to own a MC. Take it or leave it.

7. Senior MC leadership completely in left field too insulated by "yes men" missing market trends wholesale.

Now, to their credit:

Their boat build quality is and always has been top tier and I mean that. Yes, a few issues with towers... Mostly exaggerated and overplayed... Rattly wind block doors, and a few others, but these are rock solid boats supported by a top tier nationwide network.
  • ADDICTED2WAKE, Fman, wakesetter8796 and 1 other like this

CJAY

CJAY
  • Crew Devotee
  • 1,205 posts
  • Joined November 18, 2009
  • Boat: 2014 LSV LS3

I think a few things have plagued MC over the last 5yrs:

1. They've been riding the laurels of the brand buzz and loyalty they built up 2000-2010, where they truly were a top performer and arguably some of the best wakeboats... This is where your $10-20k premium comes from.

2. No surf system. Too much reliance on the flagship Xstar and what it could do, all the other models were just on par performance wise with the other top 5. No innovation.

3. Power tower mishaps and Xstar late to production issues. Damaged the MC name.

4. Clown show stupid looking boats they let out of the factory and how that damages the MC name. Ridiculous color schemes solely to be obnoxious. Some owners don't want to be associated with that, it's embarrassing.

5. Hedging all bets on the 25 yr old Rockstar sponsored flat bill customer. All marketing was geared towards this kid, and turned off a lot of folks looking for grown up boats and a company that itself acts grown up. Zero conservatism.

6. Obnoxious arrogant dealers whose attitude is if you can scratch up $95k for this X25, you might be lucky enough to own a MC. Take it or leave it.

7. Senior MC leadership completely in left field too insulated by "yes men" missing market trends wholesale.

Now, to their credit:

Their boat build quality is and always has been top tier and I mean that. Yes, a few issues with towers... Mostly exaggerated and overplayed... Rattly wind block doors, and a few others, but these are rock solid boats supported by a top tier nationwide network.

The dealer here fits that profile perfectly. I've never felt so unwelcome in any dealership in my life. MC was immediately taken off my list after talking to those guys. Build quality be damned, if you can't make a potential customer feel welcome you don't deserve the business

DocPhil

DocPhil
  • Crew Devotee
  • 1,943 posts
  • Joined July 27, 2013

The dealer here fits that profile perfectly. I've never felt so unwelcome in any dealership in my life. MC was immediately taken off my list after talking to those guys. Build quality be damned, if you can't make a potential customer feel welcome you don't deserve the business

:plus1:

mrnate450r

mrnate450r
  • Beyond Help
  • 896 posts
  • Joined June 10, 2012
  • Boat: 2014 23 LSV
My MC dealer happens to be the Malibu dealer as well. They also carry Moomba and Axis. Over the last two years I have seen a shift in his orders cater more towards the Malibu over the MC.

TenTwentyOne

TenTwentyOne
  • Spotter Extraordinaire
  • 491 posts
  • Joined May 06, 2011

I'm pretty lucky in that regard. My dealers for MC, CC, and Bu, are all fantastic. I can't say the same for the local Moomba and Supra dealers. They are both pretty bad from a sales and service standpoint. This year, the Moomba dealer seemed a little better. It is a family business, and is improving as the younger generation is starting to have more control. As for the Supra dealer.... The last time I was in the showroom, the owner said "I don't understand why anybody, in their right mind, would spend the money on a MasterCraft or Malibu. That is just stupid. They are price gouging for a boat that isn't even as good as a Supra"...... Exact quote. I spun around, laughed to myself, and headed for the door. However, that doesn't matter. I am only interested in MC, CC, and Malibu boats. I just feel bad for my friends with Moomba's and Supra's that have horror story after horror story, especially with service.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users