Welcome to TheMalibuCrew.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

MasterCraft's Gen 2 Surf System in action

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

nyryan2001

nyryan2001
  • Spam Happy
  • 3,356 posts
  • Joined January 27, 2011

Looks cool but if it was that sweet why not put it on the supra and make it power?

Not sure. Supra really isn't a consideration for me as they are much smaller.... Nationwide dealer network quality and support is one of my primary considerations as I move often, can't risk having to move and then be 8hrs from the closest Supra dealer.

They make great boats... Same as Tige and centurion, but I need a more established dealer network.

Also, on the subject, the new Centurion FX44 surf system looks as impressive and NSS and Surfgate.

pennery

pennery
  • Crew Devotee
  • 1,154 posts
  • Joined May 25, 2005
  • Boat: 2012 VLX
Boat House View Boat House

Disappointing to say the least. Both the x25 and x46 looked like small waves that washed out at the top.

Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete
  • Waaaaay Too Many
  • 8,403 posts
  • Joined April 06, 2005
  • Boat: Aqua Skipper

I don't really surf and both those vids. of MC surf waves look like crap. 

Let alone the motor screaming in this vid  ^^^^

• FastFreddy likes this

wakesetter8796

wakesetter8796
  • Spam Happy
  • 4,555 posts
  • Joined September 22, 2011
  • Boat: 2008 Malibu vRide
That motor sounds like a generator! That would get annoying fast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • FastFreddy likes this

FastFreddy

FastFreddy
  • Beyond Help
  • 851 posts
  • Joined November 12, 2012
  • Boat: 1999 Malibu VLX

The angle of the whole wave looks odd to me. It's like the boat is dog tracking or something...

Edited by FastFreddy, December 21, 2013 - 09:08 AM.

• wakesetter8796 likes this

wakesetter8796

wakesetter8796
  • Spam Happy
  • 4,555 posts
  • Joined September 22, 2011
  • Boat: 2008 Malibu vRide
Wonder how it was weighted?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nitrousbird

Nitrousbird
  • Spam Happy
  • 4,274 posts
  • Joined July 31, 2011
  • Boat: 2001 Sunsetter VLX LS1
How is Mastercraft still in business? Other than having a bit more billet bling and probably the best vinyl of anyone out there, I can't see why anyone would want one of their boats. Overpriced, weird styling, questionable wakes on some models, not known for their surf ability as a brand, ugliest towers in the industry - I just don't get the Mastercraft thing at all.

DocPhil

DocPhil
  • Seeking A Life
  • 2,160 posts
  • Joined July 27, 2013
  • Boat: 2015 on order

I really like MC boats but I find them to fall short in 2 areas

1)pricing 

2)surf wake (jury is still out in my mind on this new system)

Those being two of the most important things to me in a boat, I'm out....

Edited by DocPhilMD, December 21, 2013 - 03:35 PM.

• FastFreddy likes this

tnsatbhs

tnsatbhs
  • 'Bu Zealot
  • 569 posts
  • Joined February 24, 2013
  • Boat: 2014 23LSV

How is Mastercraft still in business? Other than having a bit more billet bling and probably the best vinyl of anyone out there, I can't see why anyone would want one of their boats. Overpriced, weird styling, questionable wakes on some models, not known for their surf ability as a brand, ugliest towers in the industry - I just don't get the Mastercraft thing at all.

Hit the nail on the head... When I was looking to purchase I thought the same thing.

Indyxc

Indyxc
  • Beyond Help
  • 809 posts
  • Joined December 08, 2010
  • Boat: 2006 Mastercraft X2

You may not get it but your opinion doesn't make a brand. Plenty of people love the brand for a variety of reasons. I agree with some of the things you said, but in general the brand does a lot of things well. Pricing is comparable to the other big 2, quality is IMHO better than malibu, styling is subjective, marketing is far superior than any other brand, historically mastercraft has been one of the innovators, they have a lot of history, wakes on some models are world class, surfing they definitely dropped the ball on. On and on.
  • 3sport likes this

DocPhil

DocPhil
  • Seeking A Life
  • 2,160 posts
  • Joined July 27, 2013

You may not get it but your opinion doesn't make a brand. Plenty of people love the brand for a variety of reasons. I agree with some of the things you said, but in general the brand does a lot of things well. Pricing is comparable to the other big 2, quality is IMHO better than malibu, styling is subjective, marketing is far superior than any other brand, historically mastercraft has been one of the innovators, they have a lot of history, wakes on some models are world class, surfing they definitely dropped the ball on. On and on.

I agree with you 100% except that the pricing is not competitive at all.  Really it's not even close.

If you compare a well optioned X-30 with a well optioned 23 LSV, it's not in the same ballpark.  Trust me, I looked hard and long

The quality might be better (arguable) but not enough to justify the insane price difference

Edited by DocPhilMD, December 22, 2013 - 08:24 AM.

gunford

gunford
  • Ballast Buddy
  • 6 posts
  • Joined August 28, 2013
  • Boat: 2009 Nautique 216V
Or you could buy a Malibu that has carpet up the sides of the interior.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

CJAY

CJAY
  • Crew Devotee
  • 1,227 posts
  • Joined November 18, 2009
  • Boat: 2014 LSV LS3

Or you could buy a Malibu that has carpet up the sides of the interior.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Which I find to be a huge plus.

No doubt mc has some good quality, I'm not sold that it's that much better than Malibu. I do think they are over priced, about 10k more expensive on avg than bu. I have yet to see a mc dealer I would do business with. They also seem to be missing the boat on innovation lately. This new surf system looks terrible

DocPhil

DocPhil
  • Seeking A Life
  • 2,160 posts
  • Joined July 27, 2013
I found the price difference to be waaaay more than that perhaps it's geographic

It was about 40 k more for a similarly equipped x30 compared to my LSV

When you factor in my trade in, it was about 50k. And trust me, I battled on that price

Insane....

tnsatbhs

tnsatbhs
  • 'Bu Zealot
  • 569 posts
  • Joined February 24, 2013
  • Boat: 2014 23LSV

I found the price difference to be waaaay more than that perhaps it's geographic

When you factor in my trade in, it was about 50k. And trust me, I battled on that price

Insane....

That's insane!! When I was looking the MCs were only about $10,000 difference.

TallRedRider

TallRedRider
  • Crew Devotee
  • 1,290 posts
  • Joined July 03, 2010
  • Boat: 2006 247

Insane....

It must be regional.  1-2 years ago I stopped by the MC dealership and they had a decently equipped X30 for 85K.    That would have stacked up pretty close to a nicely equipped LSV.  

MC in the past had a strange practice of giving a dealership a certain number of boats and that was it.  Period, and whether you wanted them or not.   So dealerships that sold their inventory quickly could afford to jack up the prices on the few they have left due to simple supply and demand.  Struggling dealers then provided deep discounts because more boats keep on coming in whether you sell them or not.    I am not sure that is still the case, hopefully they learned something from the recession.  

The non-power tower sort of grew on me in the short time I was there.  Not having the shock covers that looked like they came off of a 1986 Enduro motorcycle gives it a huge plus.  The Salt Lake dealership told me that at that time they only ordered power towers when specifically asked by a customer, since they have been such a nightmare.  

Edited by TallRedRider, December 22, 2013 - 12:06 PM.

TenTwentyOne

TenTwentyOne
  • 'Bu Zealot
  • 543 posts
  • Joined May 06, 2011

I agree with you 100% except that the pricing is not competitive at all.  Really it's not even close.

If you compare a well optioned X-30 with a well optioned 23 LSV, it's not in the same ballpark.  Trust me, I looked hard and long

Oddly, I did the same thing and expected the same result..... It was the opposite. The new 23 LSV MSRP'd higher, and actual price was higher. These were both very high optioned specs. Not sure if that makes a difference. Even the base price is higher on the new LSV. $86,500 base MSRP vs $82,000 Base MSRP on the X30. The pre-2014 LSV was much cheaper than that. A fully loaded 23LSV with a trailer runs $143,000 MSRP...... Not so cheap anymore. Great boat though.

DocPhil

DocPhil
  • Seeking A Life
  • 2,160 posts
  • Joined July 27, 2013

It must be regional then

My Malibu dealer gave me a smoking deal on my LSV I(which is pretty stacked including the LS3) and the local MC guys couldn't even come below 100K with bare bones.  

Made my decision easier though and I got the better surf boat

TenTwentyOne

TenTwentyOne
  • 'Bu Zealot
  • 543 posts
  • Joined May 06, 2011
That's pretty crazy. Were they trying to get full MSRP on it?!?!

Their loss...... It should have been very easy for them to build you a nicely equipped X30 w/6.2l for less than 100k.

DocPhil

DocPhil
  • Seeking A Life
  • 2,160 posts
  • Joined July 27, 2013

That's pretty crazy. Were they trying to get full MSRP on it?!?!

Their loss...... It should have been very easy for them to build you a nicely equipped X30 w/6.2l for less than 100k.

I'm not sure.

You telling me that many MC dealers can give a 2014 loaded X-30 for 100K?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users