Welcome to TheMalibuCrew.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today! For additional perks, please consider supporting this community. Click here for more information.
Photo

Tie off fenders

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

eyekode

eyekode
  • Trailer Polisher
  • 144 posts
  • Joined September 13, 2013
  • Boat: 1998 Sportster LX
How do you guys tie off fenders? Use a cleat to position it and tie the other end to the dock?

These look like an interesting solution: http://www.bakesonli...il.aspx?ID=1645

Anyone ever use them?
Thanks!
Salem

ahopkinsTXi

ahopkinsTXi
  • Seeking A Life
  • 2,041 posts
  • Joined August 03, 2013
  • Boat: 2013 Malibu Response TXi
  • Boat House View Boat House
Decent idea but I don't feel like mounting those brackets on my boat. And different docks and boats require the fender to be at different heights. I know you can adjust the rope but not worth having to do the adjusting you would have to do anyway plus having those brackets on the boat I can see how those would be nice to have on your down maybe the other side of your lift where you sometimes tie up during a long day on the lake, but not have the fenders there all the time. so I think in that case those are a great idea.

Edited by ahopkins1988, October 28, 2013 - 02:40 PM.

• 4nryde likes this

Zombie

Zombie
  • Trailer Polisher
  • 119 posts
  • Joined August 09, 2013
  • Boat: 2006 Malibu 21 VRide

I put four of these on my boat and love them.

http://www.diamondpe...productid=17368

Attached Files

eyekode

eyekode
  • Trailer Polisher
  • 144 posts

I put four of these on my boat and love them.

http://www.diamondpe...productid=17368

Do those sit flush when not in use? It is hard to tell from the picture. Thanks!
Salem

Zombie

Zombie
  • Trailer Polisher
  • 119 posts
  • Joined August 09, 2013

Do those sit flush when not in use? It is hard to tell from the picture. Thanks!
Salem

No, they have a small dome shape to them that sits about an 1/8" or so above the surface at the highest point.

Soon2BV

Soon2BV
  • Crew Devotee
  • 1,806 posts
  • Joined September 08, 2008
  • Boat: 2008 Tubescape 21 LSV

I have three pairs of cleats like the ones below - near the back, about at the windshield, and half way around the front, just as the hull curves. 

I have rubber fenders and use a stainless caribiner through them.   

For most docks, i just hook the fender directly to the cleat.  For a lower one, i have a loop of rope on the other end of the fender.  I clip the stainless caribiner through the rope and then to the cleat.    Works well, easy to connect and remove.  It's all stainless to stainless so i don't worry about scratches anywhere. 

Attached Files

Edited by Soon2BV, October 28, 2013 - 05:14 PM.

eyekode

eyekode
  • Trailer Polisher
  • 144 posts

No, they have a small dome shape to them that sits about an 1/8" or so above the surface at the highest point.

1/8 is close enough to flush for me :). I was just wondering if they stood up enough that I may snag something on them.

Thanks for the info!
Salem

Zombie

Zombie
  • Trailer Polisher
  • 119 posts
  • Joined August 09, 2013

1/8 is close enough to flush for me :). I was just wondering if they stood up enough that I may snag something on them.

Thanks for the info!
Salem

No, they are super smooth so there's nothing to snag on them.  Now, when the post is installed, that's a different story and can be quite sharp so there has to be some thought on where to place them.

Bill_AirJunky

Bill_AirJunky
  • Waaaaay Too Many
  • 9,057 posts
  • Joined August 12, 2005
  • Boat: 2005 Malibu vRide

The fenders Zombie listed are way too small to use in any kind of choppy conditions.... especially if you raft up to other boats at all. 

Exile Audio sells the big Hippity Hops for like $20 each here.

They can be blown up to like twice the diameter of a small boat fender.

Get'em. And don't look back.

284883_2193306879634_1456029435_32383294

Edited by Bill_AirJunky, October 28, 2013 - 08:12 PM.

• wakedncsu likes this

Levi900RR

Levi900RR
  • Spam Happy
  • 4,493 posts
  • Joined August 23, 2008
  • Boat: 2003 Sunscape 21 LSV

Bill, do you just run the dock line through the handle?

• Bill_AirJunky likes this

Bill_AirJunky

Bill_AirJunky
  • Waaaaay Too Many
  • 9,057 posts
  • Joined August 12, 2005

Yep.

I have 2 of them & have loops tied off at specific points. One hangs off the pylon. The other hangs off the board rack bracket on the front leg of the tower. Then I use the cleats for mooring lines.

Levi900RR

Levi900RR
  • Spam Happy
  • 4,493 posts
  • Joined August 23, 2008

I ran some regular fenders this year and they worked OK. I never had an incident but I was always watching them. I tied one off to the front tower leg and one to the rear cleat. I may have to give these big balls a shot.

wakedncsu

wakedncsu
  • Crew Devotee
  • 1,114 posts
  • Joined July 30, 2012
  • Boat: 01 Wakesetter VLX

Yep.  Tie off the buoy to the clamp and then tie the boat off to your boat.  They work better than anything else.  I really like the exile ones as well because the are softer than what you would get at Overton's or something like that.  You can blow them up with you own lung power and take up hardly any space when they are deflated.

• Bill_AirJunky and Levi900RR like this

Zombie

Zombie
  • Trailer Polisher
  • 119 posts
  • Joined August 09, 2013

Funny, I've been using them for 7 years without a problem.  Huh.

Bill_AirJunky

Bill_AirJunky
  • Waaaaay Too Many
  • 9,057 posts
  • Joined August 12, 2005

Yea, I find the big hippity hops are best for rafting up, especially when your all there to watch an event, ie; wakeboard competition, boat races, etc. The closer boats are together, especially boats with towers & racks, the waves rolling thru will tend to knock the towers & racks together. Spacing the boats out more helps with the problem. But if you don't find yourself in those kind of conditions, the small fenders are probably fine.

Lance B. Johnson

Lance B. Johnson
  • Waaaaay Too Many
  • 5,063 posts
  • Joined August 24, 2008
  • Boat: 05 VRide

I don't like the idea of mounting extra hardware to my boat so I just use both the tower legs and the factory cleats to tie up.  I have seen some people that actually keep a fender with an extra long rope and tie it to the tow pylon.

Like I said, no need for the extra hardware if you have a tower.

• formulaben likes this

CrystalSurf

CrystalSurf
  • Deck Hand
  • 292 posts
  • Joined January 21, 2009

The fenders Zombie listed are way too small to use in any kind of choppy conditions.... especially if you raft up to other boats at all. 

Exile Audio sells the big Hippity Hops for like $20 each here.

They can be blown up to like twice the diameter of a small boat fender.

Get'em. And don't look back.

284883_2193306879634_1456029435_32383294

Are these durable enough to use for mooring to a dock for the whole season?

wakedncsu

wakedncsu
  • Crew Devotee
  • 1,114 posts
  • Joined July 30, 2012
  • Boat: 01 Wakesetter VLX

They are made of some decent heavy gauge rubber.  They feel like the bouncy balls we used to ride as kids.  They are just a little smaller.  That is the best I can do to describe them.  I think they would last as long as you aren't mooring against very rough, aged wood that might rip the rubber eventually.

Bill_AirJunky

Bill_AirJunky
  • Waaaaay Too Many
  • 9,057 posts
  • Joined August 12, 2005

I've been down to the Parker Strip on the CA/AZ border & Canyon Lake in SoCal & seen people using the toy version of the Hippity Hop for years. Murphy's dock has like 10 of them mounted all around it. I'm not sure how they wear on different types of docks, but have not had any issues myself.

When I bought the Vride 6 yrs ago I picked up a pair that look like giant baseballs. I still have them. Their old & funky lookin now but they still hold air. I use them when we're out camping & I'm trying to keep my dock space "reserved" while we're out riding. I figure if they walked away, no big loss. I like that their big & it's easy to swing the boat in & hit them rather than the dock.

Flyswatter

Flyswatter
  • Boot Lube Applier
  • 69 posts
  • Joined August 02, 2012
  • Boat: 2011 VLX Wakesetter
I have the same ones as AirJunky. I used them all summer long and had no issues. They are more durable than I originally thought. I would tie them off to my cleats on the side of the boat and then pull into the dock. A few times this summer I thought they were going to pop when I pulled into the wood dock, all the pressure of the boat was pushing against the ball on a single point (corner of the dock). They held up great... As Bill said they also work great for rafting up next to other boats.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users