Welcome to TheMalibuCrew.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today! For additional perks, please consider supporting this community. Click here for more information.
Photo

Kumho 857's are on the way...

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

Bu hoo

Bu hoo

Five Kumho 857 tires are going to be mounted this week after I had a tire separate on Sunday.  I grease bearings, check pressure, inspect all 9 tires before each trip (tow vehicle included) and keep it 55mph and under, but it didn't help this time.  I had a Maxxis separate at 50 mph.  I don't trust the others now, so I am just replacing all 5.  They are 3 years old with less than 5,000 miles.

maxxis1.jpg

maxxis2.jpg

gorilla

gorilla
  • Spotter Extraordinaire
  • 401 posts
  • Joined May 30, 2011
  • Boat: 2007 23LSV
I love mine. Way less sway and sidewall bulge. I'm impressed so far with them, plus the fact you can tow at highway speeds without worrying about the speed rating.

Falko

Falko
  • Crew Devotee
  • 1,089 posts
  • Joined September 11, 2012
  • Boat: 2004 Malibu 23 XTI

Wow, surprised to hear a Maxxis came apart, I thought they were the new trailer tire of choice.

Glad no one or nothing or hurt (other than your trailer). Good luck with the new Kumhos.

martinarcher

martinarcher
  • 7,231 posts
  • Joined August 09, 2008
  • Boat: 87 Malibu Sunsetter
  • Boat House View Boat House

I'm running the Kuhmos as well.  Great tire.  We tow a lot and I've had no trouble.  An D rated tire just gives you a bit more peace of mind.

Soon2BV

Soon2BV
  • Crew Devotee
  • 1,797 posts
  • Joined September 08, 2008
  • Boat: 2008 Tubescape 21 LSV

I'm running the Kuhmos as well.  Great tire.  We tow a lot and I've had no trouble.  An D rated tire just gives you a bit more peace of mind.

+1 (or +4, depending on how you look at it )

• martinarcher likes this

MLA

MLA
  • Never Logs Off
  • 940 posts
  • Joined October 12, 2009
  • Boat: yep

check the date code on the side wall, I bet you will find they were already a couple years old before you bought them. 

TeamAllen

TeamAllen
  • Trailer Polisher
  • 101 posts
  • Joined January 31, 2013
  • Boat: 1997 2150 Tigé

I'm on my second season with my Kumho tires with good reports.  Glad to see you are replacing the spare too.

Edited by TeamAllen, September 03, 2013 - 09:08 PM.

LUV2SKI

LUV2SKI
  • Trailer Polisher
  • 129 posts
  • Joined June 21, 2007
  • Boat: 2006 MALIBU WAKESETTER 23 LSV

You got really lucky that is all the damage that occured. Usually the fender is bent to hell and the rubber tears out your brake line. I try to replace my tires every 5 years from the date stamped on the tires.

They wrought before they wear out.

Bu hoo

Bu hoo

Delivered and mounted!  They are an impressive looking trailer tire.  I have only trailered a few miles with them, but I like them so far.  

Bu hoo

Bu hoo

Wow, surprised to hear a Maxxis came apart, I thought they were the new trailer tire of choice.

Glad no one or nothing or hurt (other than your trailer). Good luck with the new Kumhos.

Thanks, I was kind of surprised myself.

Bu hoo

Bu hoo

check the date code on the side wall, I bet you will find they were already a couple years old before you bought them. 

I didn't look at the date code, but I wouldn't doubt it.

mikeg

mikeg
  • Boot Lube Applier
  • 86 posts
  • Joined March 09, 2006
  • Boat: 2002 sunscape 23lsv

Finishing up 3rd year on the Kumho 857's.  Best guess is about 12k miles on them to date.  Tires handle extremely well.  No sidewall cracking at all.  In fact, they look virtually brand new.  After OEM set of Carlisles had sidewall bulges in 3rd year, blowouts in Goodyear Marathons (1st set in 2nd year, 2nd set in 3rd year), the Kumhos inspire a lot of confidence!

wakebrdr94

wakebrdr94
  • Spam Happy
  • 3,213 posts
  • Joined May 25, 2011
  • Boat: 2014 VLX
Next trailer will have the 857s for sure. I'd replace now if I wasn't selling the thing

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users