I decided to try my hand at a manual "surfgate" build.
So far, I think I have $6 into it. Yes, $6. I had the plywood laying around and the tie down strap is leftover from when I upgraded to boat buckles on the trailer. I had to buy one package of screws and a 2x4. Mind you this is proof of concept and design; I'll tweak anything I need to then build a v2.0 once I'm happy with better materials. I'd also like to state my woodworking skills suck. Compound Miter saw really helped with a couple of the angle cuts I made.
Testing: took the boat out last evening after the rain. Only had the wife and 2 year old with me and forgot the GoPro, so no pics/videos on the water (hopefully today). It is illegal to do watersports here without a spotter, though that doesn't stop me as long as the Ranger isn't on the water. Sadly, he was (even when there was almost no one out...my tax money hard at work).
Had both locker 750's full. 500 in the ski locker and accidentally had about 200 under the port seat. Nothing in the bow, though I sat right up on it and didn't notice much of a change in the wake. I am having some front bag filling issues that I'm resolving this week so I didn't get to test it with that full. Didn't try the floating wedge either.
HUGE improvement in the look of the wake. Surfing area looks longer and is much cleaner. There is spray over the top of the gate, but that spray only hits the non-surf side of the wake, so it is a 100% non factor. Because of being more evenly weighted the swim platform doesn't cut into the water as bad on the corner, eliminating some of the spray I used to get from it.
Steering. At speed, fine. At low speed/idle, it turns very well to the right and about as wide as your typical I/O to the left, so it is still acceptable. I bet if the fin was any longer it would have started really cutting into it. It is currently 18" long.
If the weather holds, I'll be able to do some real testing today. I'm pumped - it looks like it really works!