Welcome to TheMalibuCrew.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today! For additional perks, please consider supporting this community. Click here for more information.
Photo

Closed Cooling - Does that scare you?

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

Ndawg12

Ndawg12
  • Waaaaay Too Many
  • 5,832 posts
  • Joined November 05, 2008
  • Boat: 2007 247LSV
  • Boat House View Boat House

I've got my eye on a boat with less than 150 hours, but probably 50 of those were in salt.  The boat has closed cooling.  How does this system work, what's different with winterizing, and would this scare you away from a good deal?  Owner says there's really no glaring evidence that it was ever in salt water.

holden

holden
  • Crew Regular
  • 166 posts
  • Joined October 07, 2012
  • Boat: 13 TXi LS3, 2007 247 LSV
Closed cooling is the bomb. After getting it with my 2001 response ... Needed because of the aluminum block ... I just ordered my 2013 with closed cooling.

Love the fact that it uses antifreeze ... Less corrosion issues with engine ... Real easy to winterized ... Much easier than raw water cooling. Plus heaters are run with antifreeze (no winterization)

I'd never get another inboard without it personally. The heat exchanger is easy to deal with and is a cheaper part to replace than manifolds as raw water naturally does its thing.

In 2001 I don't seg out to purchase closed cooling. After driving the response with the ls1, I just knew it was the boat for me and it had all the bells and whistles I was looking for. It wasn't until a few years down the road that I fully appreciated the closed cooling. Having grown up helping winterized a 1974 skier 16 CC, and seeing the corrosion even with using antifreeze in the winter ... And comparing it to my boat. Plus as mentioned half the effort to winterized the engine.

I personally believe that being original car engines, they are manufactured to run and be cooled with antifreeze. Even with the conversion, IMHO, I think nothing is as good as original design where feasible ... My 2001 has 12 years of Canadian winters and 2000 hours and still pulls strong. Only issue I had was with a tranny cooler where a weld failed, but that was pretty easily replaced.

If u get a boat that was used in salt water, spend a little $$ and get it professionally cleaned. That will help prevent any future corrosion issues.

Soon2BV

Soon2BV
  • Crew Devotee
  • 1,826 posts
  • Joined September 08, 2008
  • Boat: 2008 Tubescape 21 LSV

i believe in a closed cooling system you have circulation just like in a car, with a water / anti-boil mix.   Since their is no air movement, the radiator is replaced with a heat exchanger that uses lake water as the coolant for the system. Lake water into the exchanger, cools the engine water then the lake water returns to the lake.

I would think this would be a better system for the engine (but more expensive( since you always have clean water running through the block.  The dirty lake water only flows through the heat exchanger.  

malibu.c.c

malibu.c.c
  • 'Bu Zealot
  • 509 posts
  • Joined July 27, 2010
  • Boat: malibu vlx

had it on every boat i have owned ! perfect ! and winterizing is much easier !

Ndawg12

Ndawg12
  • Waaaaay Too Many
  • 5,832 posts

Wow!!  You guys are selling me, keep it coming!!

Nitrousbird

Nitrousbird
  • Spam Happy
  • 4,104 posts
  • Joined July 31, 2011
  • Boat: 2001 Sunsetter VLX LS1

Closed/partial closed cooling is the way to go.  Have it and love it. 

Another advantage is if you have a heater, the heater cores on raw water cooled boats tend to either get eaten up by the lake water and fail or don't get drained enough when winterized and fail.  With closed/partial closed cooling it is all coolant through it and no issues at all.

shawndoggy

shawndoggy
  • Waaaaay Too Many
  • 6,754 posts
  • Joined August 24, 2009
  • Boat: MB Sports TWB 23

exhaust manifolds will still always pass salt, though, right?

99response

99response
  • Seeking A Life
  • 2,736 posts
  • Joined April 26, 2005
  • Boat: boatless!

I would really want to know in those 50 hours of use was the boat kept near salt water or just used there. That salt air is nasty.

99response

99response
  • Seeking A Life
  • 2,736 posts
  • Joined April 26, 2005
  • Boat: boatless!

They have half open systems which have raw water cooling the exhaust manifolds but also have fully closed systems. 

Nitrousbird

Nitrousbird
  • Spam Happy
  • 4,104 posts
  • Joined July 31, 2011

Partial closed cooling = yes.

Full closed cooling = no.

I thought holden's post was odd mentioning that he doesn't have to worry about the manifolds on his LS1 Response, since my LS1 is partial closed cooling and raw water still goes through the manifolds.

The Indmar Saltwater Specific option is a fully closed cooling setup.

Edited by Nitrousbird, May 20, 2013 - 09:48 AM.

shawndoggy

shawndoggy
  • Waaaaay Too Many
  • 6,754 posts
  • Joined August 24, 2009
How to the manifolds in a fully closed system work then? Don't they get really hot?

Nitrousbird

Nitrousbird
  • Spam Happy
  • 4,104 posts
  • Joined July 31, 2011

How to the manifolds in a fully closed system work then? Don't they get really hot?

They have coolant passages in them to keep them cool. 

RTS

RTS
  • Spam Happy
  • 3,107 posts
  • Joined April 09, 2005
  • Boat: Looking to replace '02 SSLXi
So there is no water flowing through the manifolds and out of the exhaust on these fully closed systems? Would like to know the path of the salt water through these type of systems.

WakingMeHappy

WakingMeHappy
  • Spam Happy
  • 3,851 posts
  • Joined November 07, 2006
  • Boat: 1999 Sunsetter LXI
Don't let the salt water scare you away. I've had my Bu in salt water many times but have always been picky with cleaning.
For salt corrosion look at hinge point and bolts as corrosion will work into the cracks so-to-speak. You'll be able to tell if its been taken care of.
  • RTS likes this

BlastRlxi

BlastRlxi
  • Seeking A Life
  • 2,643 posts
  • Joined May 26, 2005
  • Boat: 2012 Response Txi

Coolant would go through passages in the manifolds and back to the heat exchanger.  Raw water only goes to the heat exchanger in a fully closed system.

shawndoggy

shawndoggy
  • Waaaaay Too Many
  • 6,754 posts
  • Joined August 24, 2009

Coolant would go through passages in the manifolds and back to the heat exchanger.  Raw water only goes to the heat exchanger in a fully closed system.

But where does the raw water go?  It must exit somehow, right?

BlastRlxi

BlastRlxi
  • Seeking A Life
  • 2,643 posts
  • Joined May 26, 2005
  • Boat: 2012 Response Txi

Don't know for sure.  I assume out the exhaust system after the manifolds.  At the turndowns maybe?

Nitrousbird

Nitrousbird
  • Spam Happy
  • 4,104 posts
  • Joined July 31, 2011

But where does the raw water go?  It must exit somehow, right?

I'm not 100% sure (haven't seen one in person), but I believe there is an exit port (probably stainless steel) after the manifolds that the heat exchanger ties into that goes into the rubberized side of the exhaust before it exits the boat.  So water still exits the exhaust. 

RTS

RTS
  • Spam Happy
  • 3,107 posts
  • Joined April 09, 2005
  • Boat: Looking to replace '02 SSLXi

You'll be able to tell if its been taken care of.

For something like this, I would want to take a look at the previous owners garage to see how he/she takes care of things in general.  I would think maintenance would be a huge part of mitigating any saltwater damage on an inboard boat (regardless of open/closed cooling system), and if the guy/gal has a beat up old rusty a$$ lawnmower and a rusted out Chevy in his/her garage, I would be more worried.

Does that make sense to anyone?

• WakingMeHappy likes this

Ndawg12

Ndawg12
  • Waaaaay Too Many
  • 5,832 posts

I would really want to know in those 50 hours of use was the boat kept near salt water or just used there. That salt air is nasty.

He took a few trips to the coast, is how they put it, 50 might be high actually, I don't believe the boat resided near the ocean.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users