Welcome to TheMalibuCrew.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today! For additional perks, please consider supporting this community. Click here for more information.
Photo

Boat cranking in neutral no key

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

Sixball

Sixball
  • Spam Happy
  • 3,543 posts
  • Joined December 04, 2006
  • Boat: malibu Response lxi 07
  • Boat House View Boat House
Neighbors 02 SS LXI is cranking if he puts it in neutral no key in ignition! Any Ideas? Bad ignition switch?

martinarcher

martinarcher
  • 7,070 posts
  • Joined August 09, 2008
  • Boat: 87 Malibu Sunsetter
I would bet it is a shorted ignition switch. Try disconnecting the terminals one at a time and insulating them from the back of the switch (after marking them). If it cures the problem you found your culprit.

CincyVLX

CincyVLX
  • Deck Hand
  • 252 posts
  • Joined May 24, 2011
  • Boat: 2001 Wakesetter VLX
Could be a totally different circumstance, but my boat did this when the starter went out.

martinarcher

martinarcher
  • 7,070 posts
  • Joined August 09, 2008

Could be a totally different circumstance, but my boat did this when the starter went out.

Did the solenoid weld closed? I could see that being another possibility, but the switch would be something easy to try before digging farther downstream.

CincyVLX

CincyVLX
  • Deck Hand
  • 252 posts
  • Joined May 24, 2011

Did the solenoid weld closed? I could see that being another possibility, but the switch would be something easy to try before digging farther downstream.

I would assume so. Boat cranked until the battery had nothing left, and the solenoid was smoking like cheech and chong when I opened up the engine hatch.

Sixball- That is another thing to check that I didn't even think of. Go down by the starter and smell it. Mine had a nasty electrical smell after this happened.

shawndoggy

shawndoggy
  • Waaaaay Too Many
  • 5,398 posts
  • Joined August 24, 2009
  • Boat: MB Sports TWB 23
Cincy, it would stop when you put it in gear tho? And then restart in neutral?

I agree with the first answer that the ignition is shorting. When the boat is in gear the neutral safety switch breaks the starting circuit which is why it won't crank while in gear.

CincyVLX

CincyVLX
  • Deck Hand
  • 252 posts
  • Joined May 24, 2011

Cincy, it would stop when you put it in gear tho? And then restart in neutral?

I agree with the first answer that the ignition is shorting. When the boat is in gear the neutral safety switch breaks the starting circuit which is why it won't crank while in gear.

I didn't try to put it in gear when it was doing it. I quickly figured out it was the starter from the smell under the hatch.

To the OP, is it doing it anytime that it is in neutral or was this an isolated incident? If it does it anytime, I would lean towards the ignition. Just wanted to share my experience in case it was a one time thing and no one checked the engine for starter issues.

Sixball

Sixball
  • Spam Happy
  • 3,543 posts
  • Joined December 04, 2006
  • Boat: malibu Response lxi 07
I was told it cranks any time put in neutral. I can't look at it he took it out to winterize it so its not close.

martinarcher

martinarcher
  • 7,070 posts
  • Joined August 09, 2008

I was told it cranks any time put in neutral. I can't look at it he took it out to winterize it so its not close.

There's the problem.....it just wants to finish the season and not be put away yet!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users