Welcome to TheMalibuCrew.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today! For additional perks, please consider supporting this community. Click here for more information.
Photo

Is this the one for me?

• Please log in to reply
1058 replies to this topic

Levi900RR

Levi900RR
  • Spam Happy
  • 4,346 posts
  • Joined August 23, 2008
  • Boat: 2003 Sunscape 21 LSV
  • Boat House View Boat House
You all know I want a V drive. I don't want to really break the bank. I am debating on buying this one and selling my Skier in the spring. It doesn't have the tower I want and there is no perfect pass or wedge but I don't mind the idea of having some projects ahead of me.

Thoughts?

http://www.onlyinboa...s.aspx?ID=34196

augie09

augie09
  • 'Bu Savant
  • 683 posts
  • Joined October 02, 2010
  • Boat: 2008 v-Ride
what year did the vdrive sunsetter get a wrap around seat? Didn't realize they weren't always wrap around. Although the vinyl can be replaced and the accessories you mentioned can be added. the lack of that extra seat would irk me after a while into looking at vdrives with wrap around seating, but that's just me.

Bozboat

Bozboat
  • Spam Happy
  • 3,022 posts
  • Joined October 25, 2010
  • Boat: 1999 SSLXI
can you make the jump to a 99 or so with EFI?
  • Bradley Thornton and 40oz like this

Levi900RR

Levi900RR
  • Spam Happy
  • 4,346 posts
  • Joined August 23, 2008
I know, that really is the only downfall. I have been looking and the boats I really want with the wrap around seating and all the accessories I want are running in the low to mid 20's which for some reason is more than I want to shell out. Even though, I'll probably be in that deep after I add everything I want to one like this.

I should probably hold out for a bit newer one.

Bozboat

Bozboat
  • Spam Happy
  • 3,022 posts
17.5 in NJ, plus tower, plus skins, augie has a point about the seating. Just doesn't look right.

inlandlaker

inlandlaker
  • Seeking A Life
  • 2,377 posts
  • Joined July 07, 2009
  • Boat: 2006 RLXI
If it was me I would hold out for a while. The market is going to be better in the coming weeks with people looking to get ready for a spring upgrade.

mnhays

mnhays
  • Never Logs Off
  • 902 posts
  • Joined March 13, 2012
  • Boat: 1998 Sunsetter VLX

can you make the jump to a 99 or so with EFI?

:plus1: at least to the '98 era to help ease the cost of these "upgrades" you'll be going for

Levi900RR

Levi900RR
  • Spam Happy
  • 4,346 posts
  • Joined August 23, 2008
I'll just hold off, I think you guys are right. I am going to be way happier with something fuel injected with wrap around seating. Those are two things I can't really "add". Thanks for talking me off the cliff. :lol:
  • Vettesetter Z06 and Bradley Thornton like this

sangleeisg

sangleeisg
  • Ballast Buddy
  • 9 posts
  • Joined June 21, 2010
  • Boat: 1999 VLX
Levi,

The price is little high for the boat in that condition. Of course it is always hard to tell from pictures but from my experience the pictures make the boat look much better than in person. As a reference, I bought a 1999 VLX in 2009 (perfect condition) with 180hrs, monsoon, wraparound seating, bone stock and a Elite single axle trailer (perfect condition) for $14,900. I know I got lucky but I found prices for 1998-99 VLX's were around $15,500 to $17,500 for very good to excellent condition. The price range isn't what the sellers posted in the ads but what I could negotiate. I am very picky about everything so keep that in mind. Couple of things I noticed in the pictures: stuck temp guage and with a dog on the boat, expect scratches on the vinyl. Most importantly test drive, talk to the owner and ask tons of questions. I found that behaviors of the owner and answers to technical questions generally translate into how well they took care of the boat.

Bill_AirJunky

Bill_AirJunky
  • Waaaaay Too Many
  • 8,915 posts
  • Joined August 12, 2005
  • Boat: 2005 Malibu vRide
In like 03 they went to the Gorilla fins, larger props & higher horsepower engines. These made a huge difference in how they drove. Coming from a direct drive, your going to think the older ones drive like an old truck.
You should start test driving a couple of boats here & there now so you can pin down things that you like & can't do without.

demo9asx

demo9asx
  • Deck Hand
  • 244 posts
  • Joined July 23, 2012
  • Boat: Not a Malibu
You made the right call. Took me 5 months to find my boat at the right price, hours and condition.

windy1

windy1
  • A Decent Third
  • 393 posts
  • Joined January 03, 2009
  • Boat: 2001 Sunsetter
The right one will show up. be ready.

msuwaterski

msuwaterski
  • Completely Addicted
  • 795 posts
  • Joined August 10, 2009
  • Boat: 2001 Sunsetter LXI
The right boat for you is just like the right woman for you, you'll know it as soon as you meet her.
  • martinarcher likes this

Levi900RR

Levi900RR
  • Spam Happy
  • 4,346 posts
  • Joined August 23, 2008

Levi,

The price is little high for the boat in that condition. Of course it is always hard to tell from pictures but from my experience the pictures make the boat look much better than in person. As a reference, I bought a 1999 VLX in 2009 (perfect condition) with 180hrs, monsoon, wraparound seating, bone stock and a Elite single axle trailer (perfect condition) for $14,900. I know I got lucky but I found prices for 1998-99 VLX's were around $15,500 to $17,500 for very good to excellent condition. The price range isn't what the sellers posted in the ads but what I could negotiate. I am very picky about everything so keep that in mind. Couple of things I noticed in the pictures: stuck temp guage and with a dog on the boat, expect scratches on the vinyl. Most importantly test drive, talk to the owner and ask tons of questions. I found that behaviors of the owner and answers to technical questions generally translate into how well they took care of the boat.

WOW, That seems like just what I am looking for. Thanks for the info

In like 03 they went to the Gorilla fins, larger props & higher horsepower engines. These made a huge difference in how they drove. Coming from a direct drive, your going to think the older ones drive like an old truck.
You should start test driving a couple of boats here & there now so you can pin down things that you like & can't do without.

Bill, you think I can get an 03 for less than 20G's?

shawndoggy

shawndoggy
  • Waaaaay Too Many
  • 6,234 posts
  • Joined August 24, 2009
  • Boat: MB Sports TWB 23
IMHO, the sweet spot is 02+, where you get tower, perfect pass, and full MLS. Once you add those items to an earlier boat, you'd still be out of pocket into the low 20's and still have an older boat (i.e. generally speaking, worse resale).

Here's a sanger v210 near me for cheap enough to add a tower, ballast and PP and still be under $20k, maybe even with delivery .... http://reno.craigsli...3219818029.html

40oz

40oz
  • Completely Addicted
  • 704 posts
  • Joined April 03, 2012
  • Boat: 2012 Axis A22
I would hold out until the right deal comes along. There is always someone getting divorced or having kids and just has to liquidate their toy collection. A few weeks back a 99 MC Xstar went for 18k on CL in my area. patience grasshopper ;)

Bill_AirJunky

Bill_AirJunky
  • Waaaaay Too Many
  • 8,915 posts
  • Joined August 12, 2005
  • Boat: 2005 Malibu vRide

WOW, That seems like just what I am looking for. Thanks for the info

Bill, you think I can get an 03 for less than 20G's?

I think it would be as stretch. Would probably be a boat that was rode hard, high hours or the owner was strapped.

Again, I think you should start test driving boats so you can see for yourself what the differences are like. I raised my bottom line when I started doing this.

Bozboat

Bozboat
  • Spam Happy
  • 3,022 posts
Don't worry about reasons for raising the budget, this crew can help out!
  • Bradley Thornton and wakefrankNL like this

jetskipro550

jetskipro550
  • Waaaaay Too Many
  • 5,636 posts
  • Joined April 14, 2005
  • Boat: Sanger V230

IMHO, the sweet spot is 02+, where you get tower, perfect pass, and full MLS. Once you add those items to an earlier boat, you'd still be out of pocket into the low 20's and still have an older boat (i.e. generally speaking, worse resale).

Here's a sanger v210 near me for cheap enough to add a tower, ballast and PP and still be under $20k, maybe even with delivery .... http://reno.craigsli...3219818029.html

The v210 throws a great wake, but it's a narrow boat with low freeboard...and I can't get over the 'hump' in the back...

wakesetter8796

wakesetter8796
  • Spam Happy
  • 4,320 posts
  • Joined September 22, 2011
  • Boat: 2008 Malibu vRide
maybe you could get this one down to $20k.........
http://northmiss.cra...3213716418.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users