Welcome to TheMalibuCrew.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today! For additional perks, please consider supporting this community. Click here for more information.
Photo

Ballast Pump Malfunction

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

WakeSwagger

WakeSwagger
  • Trailer Polisher
  • 127 posts
  • Joined May 10, 2011
  • Boat: 2014 Wakesetter 23 LSV
The left ballast tank will not empty. I've replaced the fuse and water will drain out for a second then it will blow the fuse. Is this a sign that something is clogged in the pump?

The boat is a 2010 Wakesetter

skibreeze

skibreeze
  • Deck Hand
  • 227 posts
  • Joined June 28, 2011
  • Boat: 05 Malibu Wakesetter 23 LSV
Could be clogged with debris or a faulty pump.

bcf2003

bcf2003
  • Boot Lube Applier
  • 88 posts
  • Joined May 25, 2012
  • Boat: 2004 23' Wakesetter XTI
Mine did the same thing. Probably gummed up pump. If its the cartridge type, take the one screw out of the top, unscrew the ring and pull the cartridge out. Give the pump a spin with your hand and also check for debris while you have it out. If that doesn't fix it, I'd say replace.

G-Mack

G-Mack
  • Completely Addicted
  • 709 posts
  • Joined August 22, 2009
  • Boat: 2008 Wakesetter 23 LSV
just did two this week... blown fuses...if it is not debris.... make a new cartridge happen... after my dance this week... i now carry a spare cartridge... $50 is cheap insurance on a holiday.... 20 minutes to replace including wiring.

dalt1

dalt1
  • Crew Devotee
  • 1,620 posts
  • Joined August 09, 2006
  • Boat: 2012 VLX
  • Boat House View Boat House
I have changed 3 cartridges this year @ 850 hrs on the clock. Tore apart old ones and found they eventually start leaking at the seals where the impeller spins and it fills the motor windings with corrosion. I always keep 2 spares on hand. Quick fix. If they start to squeal but still pump, change them out as they will fail soon.

BigE

BigE
  • Wrench Monkey
  • 34 posts
  • Joined April 01, 2012
  • Boat: 2010 VLX
Being lazy but where do you get you backup cartridges?
I've got a 2010 WakeSetter

Bill_AirJunky

Bill_AirJunky
  • Waaaaay Too Many
  • 8,915 posts
  • Joined August 12, 2005
  • Boat: 2005 Malibu vRide
Ebay?

Your own dealer?

Bakes?
  • bcf2003 likes this

BigE

BigE
  • Wrench Monkey
  • 34 posts
  • Joined April 01, 2012
Thanks
I see the two pumps in the back by the motor, one of which is blowing my fuses, which seem to fill the rear tanks. But in the access panel in the floor by the drivers seat, I count 3 pumps. It seems like one pump to many? Anyone know why 3 instead of 2?

skurfer

skurfer
  • Never Logs Off
  • 903 posts
  • Joined January 17, 2008
  • Boat: www.nwboatsports.com
Each tank has 2 pumps. Fill and empty...Still have some to find..

Edited by skurfer, July 15, 2012 - 12:38 PM.

BigE

BigE
  • Wrench Monkey
  • 34 posts
  • Joined April 01, 2012
True that, but all three of these are pulling water from the lake and sending it somewhere.

bcf2003

bcf2003
  • Boot Lube Applier
  • 88 posts
  • Joined May 25, 2012
  • Boat: 2004 23' Wakesetter XTI
You have a hard tank under the front? That's how mines setup too.

BigE

BigE
  • Wrench Monkey
  • 34 posts
  • Joined April 01, 2012
Yes, that'd be one; center two;

Wakesetter67

Wakesetter67
  • Crew Devotee
  • 1,349 posts
  • Joined September 15, 2009
  • Boat: 2010 wakesetter VLX
I had the same problem with the Left Pump, First Blown Fuse and I fixed that, now it works but its Sporadic , Sometimes it drain and other times I have to get the nose in the air as to prime it or something, All the other pumps Drain the instant I push the button, But the left pump does not, It will eventually drain when it feels like it, So how do I take apart this pump I would assume it's the same as in most of the newer Bu.

coyote055

coyote055
  • Crew Regular
  • 170 posts
  • Joined February 05, 2011
  • Boat: 2005 V-Ride
There is a screw next to the blue ring on top of the pump that holds a small piece of plastic. Remove the screw and be sure to drop the plastic piece down in the bilge like I did so that you can play hide & seek with it :biggrin: . After you find it and put it someplace that it won't fall into the bilge again, grab the bottom of the pump with one hand and twist the blue ring with the other. That will loosen the cartridge and it pulls straight up. A new cartridge is about 40 bucks at Bakes.

nemalibu

nemalibu
  • A Decent Third
  • 340 posts
  • Joined October 04, 2007
  • Boat: 2011 3D VTX
Mine does this from time to time. In my case it is air locked. I clear mine by turning on the fill pump briefly, until water comes out the drain pump line and then turning on the drain pump.
  • Wakesetter67 likes this

jaciche

jaciche
  • Deck Hand
  • 292 posts
  • Joined May 31, 2011
  • Boat: '04 Wakesetter VLX
Alright we need some help. Our center drain pump is hard to turn by hand. It is probably done due to it whining and pumping slower than normal the last time we used it. And that time it wasnt working until we took it apart.
Now, when i flip the switch, the relay is in and the light on the switch turns on, but the relay does not pop out 5 seconds later. Does this mean that the fuse is fried? We do not have a multimeter and do not want to splice into the wires until we put in a new cartridge. And we took out the cartridge, took off the impeller, and removed the 2 screws, but the white casing wont come off. Is it sealed so no water can get in leaving no way to look at the motor in there?

Bill_AirJunky

Bill_AirJunky
  • Waaaaay Too Many
  • 8,915 posts
  • Joined August 12, 2005
Yes, their sealed.

I think once they have gummed up once to the point that they don't spin on their own, even though you freed it up, it's on it's way down & out. Time to replace.

jaciche

jaciche
  • Deck Hand
  • 292 posts
  • Joined May 31, 2011
  • Boat: '04 Wakesetter VLX
ok so heres what we did. we took off the blue impeller, and spun the motor shaft with a vice grip. the pump worked. We put the impeller back on with it out of the housing, the pump worked but sometimes needed us to turn it to to get it started, when we put it in the housing, it would not run. So we turned it on outside the housing, then tried to slip it into the housing. We heard grinding on the way down and then it would die out. The housing is very clean. We wiped out all the stuff of the housing and there was still grinding.

Sounds like the motor doesnt have enough torque to keep going in the housing or there is some rubbing and we dont know why. We are planning on buying a new cartridge but do you think the housing could be a problem? i will try to post some pictures of the housing but it looks good on the inside.

skibreeze

skibreeze
  • Deck Hand
  • 227 posts
  • Joined June 28, 2011
  • Boat: 05 Malibu Wakesetter 23 LSV
Refer to post #17.

Bill_AirJunky

Bill_AirJunky
  • Waaaaay Too Many
  • 8,915 posts
  • Joined August 12, 2005
Yea, your spending a lot of time on a $50 part. Replace it. And then get out & ride.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users