Welcome to TheMalibuCrew.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Installing Adjustable Height Drivers Seat

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

martinarcher

martinarcher
  • 7,360 posts
  • Joined August 09, 2008
  • Boat: 87 Malibu Sunsetter
Boat House View Boat House

Baron Scissor Lift Jack 41100036
Full Height 8 3/4" Lowered 3 1/2". 14" Deep and 12" Wide.
Lifts up to 1,000 lbs.
http://www.amazon.co...R/dp/B002LEYHIO

installal a geared dc motor on that thing and you'd be good to go :)

I dig that idea! Heck, you could install a nice size knob on that worm gear and probably be able to run in by hand. Posted Image I might have to try one of those.

scott_fx

scott_fx
  • Spotter Extraordinaire
  • 473 posts
  • Joined December 15, 2008
  • Boat: sunsetter vlx
i wonder if you'd have to reinforce the fiberglass where you mount it too... or at least a full metal plate to distribute the weight and the torque from the higher seat?

liljohn

liljohn
  • Crew Devotee
  • 1,263 posts
  • Joined March 18, 2007
  • Boat: 07 VLX
Lots of people have lifted there seats up to 4" with out issues. I'm loveing the dissidents lift idea. I wonder if harbor freight has one I could put my hands on for a little R&D. Hmmm.

martinarcher

martinarcher
  • 7,360 posts
  • Joined August 09, 2008

i wonder if you'd have to reinforce the fiberglass where you mount it too... or at least a full metal plate to distribute the weight and the torque from the higher seat?

On the seat or the floor? My floor is pretty tough synthetic material. The seat base is a thick ploy plastic. Right now mine is mounted on a universal seat slider that allows it to adjust front to rear. I would just replace the slider with one of those. I just need to wait until spring so I can measure my seat base and make sure it's at least 12" X 14". Posted Image

martinarcher

martinarcher
  • 7,360 posts
  • Joined August 09, 2008

Lots of people have lifted there seats up to 4" with out issues. I'm loveing the dissidents lift idea. I wonder if harbor freight has one I could put my hands on for a little R&D. Hmmm.

Do it and report back. Posted Image

liljohn

liljohn
  • Crew Devotee
  • 1,263 posts
  • Joined March 18, 2007

Do it and report back. Posted Image

You know I will. I love projects that require custom one off parts. I end up makeing a few of them for friends.

scott_fx

scott_fx
  • Spotter Extraordinaire
  • 473 posts

You know I will. I love projects that require custom one off parts. I end up makeing a few of them for friends.

i was thinking the same thing... you could even make a controller for the seat and have user presets :) hell, you could literally take the code i wrote for my power wedge controller and use it for this.

martinarcher

martinarcher
  • 7,360 posts
  • Joined August 09, 2008

I like how you roll. Posted Image

martinarcher

martinarcher
  • 7,360 posts
  • Joined August 09, 2008

i was thinking the same thing... you could even make a controller for the seat and have user presets :) hell, you could literally take the code i wrote for my power wedge controller and use it for this.

Now you need a rotary encoder to keep track of position. Posted Image
  • Stephenbd1 likes this

winddawg

winddawg
  • A Decent Third
  • 356 posts
  • Joined May 18, 2007
  • Boat: 04 23 LSV
Some time back this issue came up and around that time Harbor Freight ran a special on this floor jack for $50 plus some change for shipping.

http://www.harborfre...-html-7814.html

I bought the jack for the specific purpose to modify it to lift the seat for when my wife drives. Granted it is not electric but it has plenty of capacity and since it is fabricated from AL it won't rust.

My issue is time and this is not on the priority list right now.

-Dave

scott_fx

scott_fx
  • Spotter Extraordinaire
  • 473 posts

Now you need a rotary encoder to keep track of position. Posted Image

im not afraid of those anymore. :) been fooling around with those a bit. though, i think a simple 300 degree potentiometer would be best still :)

martinarcher

martinarcher
  • 7,360 posts
  • Joined August 09, 2008

im not afraid of those anymore. :) been fooling around with those a bit. though, i think a simple 300 degree potentiometer would be best still :)

You would need a multiple rotation encoder for this job since that worm gear will rotate probably 20 or so times from top to bottom. The pot wouldn't allow you to go multiple turns would it?

scott_fx

scott_fx
  • Spotter Extraordinaire
  • 473 posts

You would need a multiple rotation encoder for this job since that worm gear will rotate probably 20 or so times from top to bottom. The pot wouldn't allow you to go multiple turns would it?

just put it on the pivot point of the scissor. that shouldn't rotate more then 300 degrees or so. and you'd never lose calibration. if you lost power when the seat was halfway up you would have to reset it to the 'home' position. i think. :)

martinarcher

martinarcher
  • 7,360 posts
  • Joined August 09, 2008

just put it on the pivot point of the scissor. that shouldn't rotate more then 300 degrees or so. and you'd never lose calibration. if you lost power when the seat was halfway up you would have to reset it to the 'home' position. i think. :)

That would probably work. Posted Image

Fman

Fman
  • Spam Happy
  • 4,591 posts
  • Joined January 13, 2011
  • Boat: 22 VLX on deck
Received a call from Garelick today, look for the adjustable seat on the 2013 Malibus. Starting in July Malibu will be ordering the electric adjustable seat and installing them on there boats. The current electric seat basin Supra is using is being sold exclusively to Skiers Choice and the price is over $2k. It will be interesting to see what the upgrade price is on the 2013 models for the electric seat adjuster.

If anyone is interested in adding this upgrade, She recommended waiting until after July because it will most likely be a direct bolt on to the Malbu or much easier to adapt than the Supra model.

NewMalibu

NewMalibu
  • A Decent Third
  • 331 posts
  • Joined May 11, 2009
  • Boat: 2007 VLX SE
:thumbup: that will be nice for us shorter people!

Edited by NewMalibu, February 01, 2012 - 12:13 PM.

liljohn

liljohn
  • Crew Devotee
  • 1,263 posts
  • Joined March 18, 2007

Received a call from Garelick today, look for the adjustable seat on the 2013 Malibus. Starting in July Malibu will be ordering the electric adjustable seat and installing them on there boats. The current electric seat basin Supra is using is being sold exclusively to Skiers Choice and the price is over $2k. It will be interesting to see what the upgrade price is on the 2013 models for the electric seat adjuster.

If anyone is interested in adding this upgrade, She recommended waiting until after July because it will most likely be a direct bolt on to the Malbu or much easier to adapt than the Supra model.

Will it still be a 2k option?

Molarbu

Molarbu
  • Crew Devotee
  • 1,111 posts
  • Joined December 02, 2006
  • Boat: 07 Wakesetter 23 XTI

Do you even have to ask! Of course it will!

srintx

srintx
  • Crew Devotee
  • 1,636 posts
  • Joined March 17, 2008
  • Boat: Black and Yellow 2011 WS VLX

Do you even have to ask! Of course it will!

:thumbup:

Fman

Fman
  • Spam Happy
  • 4,591 posts
  • Joined January 13, 2011
  • Boat: 22 VLX on deck

$2k for an adjustable seat upgrade, ouch, that would be a little crazy.... I would imagine it would be cheaper when ordering the boat, but maybe not.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users